Ebenezer's Night of the Great Thirst Sunday Breakfast

Discussion in 'New England' started by jadoinvaoidfnva, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadoinvaoidfnva

jadoinvaoidfnva Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2012 Massachusetts

Ok, so, like everyone else there, I was MASSIVELY hung over at this breakfast...and I know it was like 6 months ago....however, they served what appeared to be beer foam in a glass with a spoon, and it was amazing. I was just wondering if anyone could clue me in to what that actually was...I want to make it this weekend.

2. owend

owend Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2009 New Hampshire

It was a sabayon made with pannepot (not sure of the vintage) if I recall correctly. That said, it seemed a bit different from other sabayons I have encountered...

WillardSmith likes this.
  3. jadoinvaoidfnva

jadoinvaoidfnva Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2012 Massachusetts

Awesome, thanks guys!

4. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Savant (1,157) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Years ago at one of the first Eb's fests, both Urbain & Carlo from DeStruise were there all week, and one night they had an "Iron Chef" cook-off behind the bar using a Coleman camp stove. It was sabayon, a warm egg custard related to the Italian zabaglione, only instead of marsala wine they used Pannepot for one, and Black Albert (which debuted that weekend) for the other. Jeff's wife Pam & I were the "designated dribblers" - our job was to dribble the beer into the custard very slowly to prevent curdling while they each whisked it non-stop for about 25 min. Urbain said it was what his mom use to serve them for breakfast on really cold days when he was a child. Needless to say, Team BA won as voted by everyone in the bar served a shot glass of each batch, and my team Pannepot came in runner-up. I was delighted to relive the experience on Sunday at the post-fest breakfast - it's still one of my favorite things and I enjoy making it once in awhile!

Gushue3 likes this.
  5. jomobono

jomobono Savant (1,114) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

I had to take my breakfast sandwich to go...oof.

6. Fujii13

Fujii13 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 New York

Picture for reference...
    [​IMG]

owend, duchessedubourg and jomobono like this.
  7. Sesmu

Sesmu Zealot (744) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts

was it then when they, or somebody else, tried to distill the beer? Or am I confusing the events?

Gushue3 likes this.
  8. CLively

CLively Devotee (309) Feb 8, 2011 Maine

I wish it were late August right now, it's so beautiful up here that time of year. Brrrr.

jomobono likes this.
  9. jomobono

jomobono Savant (1,114) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

If it could be August right now.....I would be so happy.
    [​IMG]
    Photo provided by @Fujii13

Fujii13, CLively and WillardSmith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.