El Cat Round 8 renewal is live

Discussion in 'US - South' started by SPRichard, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sphilups

Sphilups Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2016 Florida

just isn't worth it any more to me now. The market on these bottles has dropped so much that you can pick up over half of them for 25-30 bucks with little to no effort. Even the best ones can be found for 80-100 such as bourbon huna and db zhukov. For someone who genuinely enjoys every bottle it's not a bad deal at all, but that's not me. I'm fairly confident though I can drop the membership and basically pick and chose if something peaks my interest.

danh53 likes this.
  2. BKnarr

BKnarr Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Florida
    Deactivated

Also dropping out. Been in since round 1, and its just not a value for me personally anymore. I completely understand why others continue to see the value though. I'm not going to argue what a beer is "worth" based on shelf life, availability, hype, etc... To me, I valued it as $35 a bottle. The taproom discount also doesn't factor in for me. I personally haven't enjoyed drinking there in the past 2 years. I stop in, grab my bottles, and move on. Cheers to those who continue on with El Cat! Hope you have some rad bottles coming your way!

Yabu, TampaRainman, c64person and 8 others like this.
  3. DrinksAlone

DrinksAlone Initiate (65) Jan 18, 2017 Florida
    Trader

YES!! That blueberry maple pancake was one of my favorite Cigar City beers that I've ever had, it was so good!

Viclovescourtney and BKnarr like this.
  4. elvisdoc

elvisdoc Aspirant (255) Jul 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Pappy Decoherence please.

5. Patrick999

Patrick999 Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2006 Florida

Yeah, it is starting to become a decision. Will probably renew, but reconsider doing 2 bottles again. If the per-bottle price is to be that high, they need to bring it, IMO. I'm mostly happy with the round 7 bottles, but too many bottles over the last couple years have not been beers I'd spend $30+ on. More like Decoherence and BA Americano, please, less Dis Legomenon and BA Raspberry Halo (just to name a couple).

Any rumors as to what some of the round 8 beers will be?

6. graaaypes

graaaypes Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2016 Florida

show me where i can buy a Bourbon Huna for 80 and ill show you an empty bank account.

7. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (246) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

newbie question...

are Proxy's able to use your discount at the brewery?

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  8. BKnarr

Deactivated

No.

9. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (211) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Trader

I think this club is going to price out a lot of people. That's probably why they are offering everyone the 2 bottle deal off the bat. Coming off of the best round so far doesn't hurt the hype train either. I've been in the club since the beginning and a 2 bottle member since they first offered it, but I am struggling to justify the new price point. If it's going to be the same caliber as last round then I'm in, but it's certainly not guaranteed and unlikely due to the fact that Round 7 was pretty much a "best of" deal.

I know that CCB is looking around and seeing places like Cycle charge in upwards of $35 a bottle and wondering why they can't do the same but people are making the decision to buy those beers knowing what they are getting into. It's just not the same with the clubs. I know that I don't personally care for Triples so I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay $35 for one.

The reason I got out of Bruery Reserve was two fold: 1.) the beers were not getting better 2.) they still wanted top dollar for them. I feel like an easy solution would be to offer a discount on the membership, say in the realm of $200-215, to go without the 20% taproom discount. I would feel much better about that bc I'm never going to get the value of the discount, and I only live in Orlando. People out of state will probably never use it, just like I never used my Bruery discount or local perks. Just an opinion.

10. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (211) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Just to be clear, I'm aware of the fact that this is a club that promotes barrel aged experimentation and I'm all for it, but the ends must justify the means. There is no way a barrel aged Triple goes for $35 on the open market that doesn't have the name Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen on it. As long as CCB keeps that in mind they will continue to have supporters.

rspauldi likes this.
  11. Sphilups

Sphilups Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2016 Florida

I have seen a few go for 80, and the going rate honestly seems to be about 100 all day every day. If you're serious, I would be happy to show you where.

12. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

The events could be what justifies the cost to me. If the events are so so or on weekdays then I probably won't be back for round 9. For round 8 I am dropping down to 1 bottle.

lionssoccer13 and iTunesUpdates like this.
  13. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (5,254) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

In since Round 1 & sticking with it, though I'm debating one bottle or two.

Cigar City is one of my three favorite breweries in the world & since they're not available anywhere near me, the club is worth it personally. But the cost is getting up there, especially for those of us that live out of town.

I just don't think about the price after I pay, & do no math, & it's all good!

Yabu, fiver29 and Scope4Beer like this.
  14. Brent272smith

Brent272smith Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2015 Georgia

Unfortunately I'm out this round. The price increase and not knowing what your signing up for is just to much for me. I'd rather save my $$ for chasing down bottles I know 100% I want vs gambling on the whim of the club. Hope i'm wrong and this proves to be an awesome round

15. KBS

KBS Disciple (325) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

How is this club different than this - You walk into a retail store and they say they have 2 really awesome beers available, however, you need to buy these other (let's say) 5 beers at ridiculously inflated prices in order to buy these (let's say) 2 other beers at retail. The 5 are a packaged deal too, if you don't really like them or the style, tough.

I would even say the retail store has an edge, since you actually know all the beers in the equation to make an informed decision if it is worth it to you or not.

iTunesUpdates and lionssoccer13 like this.
  16. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I’ll hang around and downgrade my 2 bottles as it appears you can change during renewal and I suspect they’ll have extras if all of them to buy later in time as well...

Have a feeling they’ll bring the heat to feed the cost, or they’ll lay back and put it on auto pilot with some weird shit.

17. BKnarr

Deactivated

Those that know me know that in not a bullshitter. You will get the truth from me, good or bad, no matter the circumstance. Maybe 10 posts ago, I posted that I was out of El Cat due to this price increase. In have changed my mind as I have found someone(Who I share bottles with regularly) to split a single bottle membership with me.

18. Viclovescourtney

Viclovescourtney Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2016 Florida

I call bullshit.... Just kidding. I'm looking forward to splitting the membership and beers with ya. Brink on the Zhukov variants!

19. ahroun

ahroun Initiate (148) Aug 22, 2003 Florida

No bullshit, I was going to miss your input as a fellow long time member. Happy to hear you found a way to make it work. In my family, my uncle and sister are also members. Which means we end up splitting a lot of bottles at family dinners. That has led my sister to drop out and my uncle to bitch about the price increase and reup. Honestly after getting in on the first round, there is a non rational component to my decision. I’d also put myself in the camp of El Catadors that is more tolerant of some of these more “experimental” beers. So I’ll hang out for another round. Still, the price gave me serious pause. The math isn’t terrible but $250 is certainly a way to get a lot of us to reconsider how much of a priority El Catador is in our lives.

HossUF and BKnarr like this.
  20. danh53

danh53 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 Florida

I'm out. The Florida market is over saturated with high end barrel aged beer. I have a refrigerator full of it. When the fridge is empty, I'll have to buy some more. With prices going up and trade value going down I don't think it will be difficult to get back in the club when and if I'm ready.

Yabu and BKnarr like this.
  21. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (218) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

El Catador Club
    5 mins ·
    Based on member feedback we've decided to extend the El Catador Club 8th Edition renewal window through the end of October. That means El Catador 7th Edition members will now have until midnight (EDT) October 31st to join the ECC 8th Edition.

Not a current member but interested in joining the club? You can join our membership lottery here: http://bit.ly/catadorlottery

We will begin announcing lottery winners in November.

slander420 likes this.
  22. slander420

slander420 Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2016 Florida

Class act by CCB, the two week window to renew was my only gripe about this upcoming round.

23. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,034) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I'm curious to know whether the people that were previously signed up for the lottery are still on the waiting list like they were round to round previously? I'm not seeing an acknowledgement of the waiting list carryover from 7 to 8.

In what world is MZ average? I'd be hard-pressed to find five other beers of the same style in the US that are as flavor-packed with such an amazing mouthfeel as MZ that also don't happen to use any flavor-additives. Marshal Zhukov is world class.

19.2 ounce stovepipes would probably be asking too much, although the Oskar Blues connection is worth noting. I'd guess the now ubiquitous 16 ounce pint cans would be far more likely than a stovepipe, but since they already do regular 12 ouncers, they'd probably stick with that.

Has CCB used any cans bigger than 12oz. yet?

24. slander420

I have seen Jai Alai and Tampa Lager in 16oz cans. They just released Space Pope in 16oz format a few weeks ago. I mistakenly used the word stovepipe for the 16oz can. The Zhukov for this round will be in 16oz cans.

Sabtos likes this.
  25. Sabtos

Society Trader

Very nice!

26. graaaypes

graaaypes Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2016 Florida

Is that for sure? Not calling you out or anything I'm just curious where the info is coming from since I've only read it here.

slander420 likes this.
  27. slander420

It isn't confirmed so take it with a grain of salt, but I trust the people I heard it from. ( I shouldn't have made it seem definite.)

#67 slander420, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    graaaypes likes this.
  28. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (619) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Once again I'm in, really looking forward to it. Splitting my 2 bottle membership with a bud to help offset cost.

29. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (246) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

myself and at least 2 friends are still on waiting list as far as i know

30. Bartos

Bartos Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Florida

CCB is doing 16oz cans of the core beers. Currently it is exclusively for the local sports venues (Amalie Arena for sure and Raymond James in the future).

They've previously done some 16oz cans. E-Beer and the Tropical Heatwave wheat come to mind.

ParaCAD likes this.
  31. slander420

I wonder how exclusive they plan on it being because I bought some a while back at Total Wine and they still had some on the shelf when I was there the other day.

I also remember the GWAR beer now that you mention it.

32. ahroun

I ran into some 16oz Jai Alai at the Wawa by the Amphitheater just last week. That beer feels like it was always meant to be consumed by the lb.

33. darkwing1

darkwing1 Initiate (172) May 13, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I just picked up a six pack of 16oz Jai Alai at a Total Wine in Fort Myers Saturday night. It was canned 9/20 and only $12.49 too!

MTKATL, Gsteele292 and ahroun like this.
  34. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (138) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I picked up some 16oz cans of Florida Cracker down in Venice, FL on 9/29. 99% sure they had others

35. mcclellc

mcclellc Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2016 Arizona

Talked to one of the brewers at GABF. I asked about the increase in price to El Cat, and what kind of bottles to expect. Told him the last round absolutely crushed it. He didn't give up specifics but told me if I enjoyed the last round, this up coming round would kill it. Cant be sure this wasn't a sales pitch but I have to think they are going to come out swinging due to the membership changes.

36. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (352) Jul 29, 2014 Florida

This is nothing more than a wish, but I would enjoy a "Collaboration Round". I can think of a few brewers within driving distance who would make likely candidates. The obvious possibilities, both near and far, fill up one round easy.

ahroun likes this.
  37. Sabtos

Society Trader

Sort of like the Cycle weekday series earlier in the year? That was a lot of fun, some of those beers were actually quite stellar, and I'm normally not overly impressed with collabs.

ahroun and LADEDA like this.
  38. ahroun

Big Adventure on draft, on Father’s Day, has been one of my beer highlights of the year.

39. Connvoy

Connvoy Initiate (67) Jul 21, 2012 Florida

Is it just price point for everyone? I would gladly pay if the beer tasted as good as it used to.

I dropped my 2 bottle membership to 1 bottle last round....they released a bottle called “Absolutely OK” FFS!

Then was pissed because they appeared to make up for it next round with LiL, Huna, MZ all in one round. They may have been the right brands, but they don’t taste the same to me.

Been a member since el cat 1, but I’m out.

40. Beardaxe

Beardaxe Initiate (39) Sep 29, 2014 Connecticut

You're free to like or not like whatever you want and I don't begrudge anyone who thinks the quality of the beers doesn't justify the price, but are you seriously using the name of one of the bottles as one of your reasons for dropping?

CCB has a history of being meta with their names (110k+OT, Error Establishing Database, This Won't be Popular in the Tasting Room, etc.). That's what they were doing here and I can't imagine how anyone could think that they were being sincere or that the name in any way influenced their level of effort in making the beer good.

maximum12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.