El Catador Club 12th Edition

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Scottsbeer, May 8, 2020.

1. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Zealot (550) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Sign up has started so I will start the thread. Post all El Catagor 12th Edition stuff here.

jloomis and MJS08 like this.
  2. Beer_Baron87

Beer_Baron87 Initiate (30) Feb 15, 2019 Florida

Just re-signed. Digging the 2 bottle 500ml format vs the bomber. That’s essentially 25% more beer for the same price. Can drink one by yourself and one to share with a friend later on. Thanks CCB! Looking forward to this round.

3. shand

shand Meyvn (1,427) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Very excited for this round. I've always been a bit of a CCB homer, but beer week really started to put things into perspective, where LaDuke's barleywine was easily my beer of the week, despite going to a lot of the hype releases. Looking back, Celestial Insurance was also my top beer of 2019. I've just come to realize that I prefer CCB's BA beers over any of the other options in the area, and the 500ml bottles are also going to be the best format that BA beers are released in around here.

Basically, I've been El Cat since they had us line up around the building in the overflow parking lot, and things are looking brighter than ever, after three excellent clubs in a row and a very promising seeming club 12.

jloomis and Scope4Beer like this.
  4. Scope4Beer

Scope4Beer Initiate (148) Sep 28, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I just renewed this morning. Since they are limiting it to only 1000 members (the smallest number for any round as far as we know), I'm guessing that some current round 11 members might not make the cut for round 12. That being said, there certainly may be plenty of people that don't renew given the current travel/economic climate.

5. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (293) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

That Laduke DB Barleywine was easily for me the best beer of beer week. It’s on best of the year level for me. I wish I would have driven up a few days earlier and grabbed more. It was excellent

johnyb and shand like this.
  6. darkwing1

darkwing1 Initiate (149) May 13, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Couldn't agree more about Laduke's! I haven't had Leon b3 yet, but LaDuke is supposed to be that thrown back into apple brandy barrels for a bit and add cinnamon.

jloomis likes this.
  7. shand

Trader

CCB's recent Instagram Live about their barrel program gave some info about ECC 12.

It'll be taking things back to the "purest form" of barrel aged beers, letting the barrels shine through. When adjuncts are used, they will be of the nature of "very specific cacao nibs" or "very specific vanilla beans". There are currently 3 barleywines planned for 12. The new ECC manager wants to bring back double barrel Huna.

Lare453, HossUF, Scope4Beer and 5 others like this.
  8. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (293) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

I can’t like this enough
    Super excited

9. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Aspirant (294) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Hopefully it's more b1 than 2.

jloomis likes this.
  10. shand

Trader

She was particularly talking about Batch 1. This probably wasn't an ECC 12 thing, but an overall goal.

jloomis and Thirst_trappist like this.
  11. bob_roberts

bob_roberts Initiate (87) Oct 15, 2016 Colorado
    Trader

just watched this. i like the sound of mezcal barrels, hope that becomes part of round 12.

12. Beer_Baron87

I couldn’t find that video, if you’re able to share the link I’d definitely like to watch it.

3 barely wines out of 7 total beers is a little heavy for the style IMO. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a good BW and CCB has been cranking out some damn good ones recently. But I’m sure we’re not getting 4 stouts (maybe a porter or an Old Ale mixed in as these rounds typically do). So a little disappointed in that, as I and I’m sure others prefer a BA stout as well. Maybe I’m wrong. But then again, all they promised was 7 BA Beers at their discretion, so it’s all good. Plus I already paid, so looking forward to it regardless.

Cheers

13. shand

Trader

In the initial signup they said this club will consist of a mix of stouts and barleywines, so we're likely looking at four stouts. Personally, CCB's barleywines are my favorite Tampa-area beers, so I'd take more than three.

14. Beer_Baron87

I just hope they’re more Laduke/Celestial than Cryptus Portus

Lare453 and jloomis like this.
  15. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Disciple (395) Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

4 stouts and 3 barelywines sounds like a great mix to me. Also, I'm fine if all 3 of the barleywines are Cognac Church.

Slam2872 and 7clutch like this.
  16. shand

Trader

Cryptus Portus wasn't superb fresh, but that one has such insane aging potential. Laying my remaining bottle down for a couple years.

17. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,603) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I loved it fresh & just cracked open the second bottle recently & if possible, it was even better. I'd have been happy with an "EL CAT: THE BARLEYWINE EDITION 12".

jloomis and shand like this.
  18. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,410) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

skeet skeet

19. Beer_Baron87

Ah, I read over the all BA Stout and BW edition. Good to hear. That’s what happens when you read the renewal email during home happy hour and just click to buy.

Regarding Cryptus Portus. Didn’t mean my comparison as a slight of the beer itself, it was good, but not my favorite BW of theirs. Glad to hear it is aging well. I’ve still got Cyclopedia I’m saving for a rainy day, and very much looking forward to the Leon and Stakhanov’s from the current round.

20. Beer_Baron87

New email

"We are delving into new approaches, some with a more tropical theme and others that will be composed of new base beer styles that we have never offered to the club in the past.

There will also be some familiar releases that reflect back to the brewery’s earlier days.

This round of club offerings will focus on blending different beers from different types of spirit barrels in some instances, lending to more complexity and additional nuances.

We look forward to the challenge of producing these beers as much as we hope you will enjoy drinking and sharing them with friends and family.

Thank you for your continued support."

Tropical has me thinking Rum based variants.

21. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Disciple (395) Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

I normally find rum barrel treatments to be disappointing, but Toddy & Sap was excellent, so that would give me hope. Still would personally prefer no more than 1 or 2 rum treatments (and would be okay without any).

Slam2872 and Pereza987 like this.
  22. Scottsbeer

Trader

23. johnyb

johnyb Defender (686) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I sense more raisins

24. Scottsbeer

Trader

LOL, pretty sure that the raisin round is over.

25. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Aspirant (294) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Prunes?

Slam2872 and cardsfan like this.