El Catador Club 12th Edition

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Scottsbeer, May 8, 2020.

1. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Initiate (89) Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

yea just saw that... too bad

2. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (168) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois

It really makes me think that the people that manage these things were never really the type of person that would pay for a membership. They have no pulse of what actually sells these things. You come on here and read for 5 minutes you see that AT LEAST half of the people here want BA huna variants in this club... so what do they do? They release a BA variant and sell it to the public.

With all the great beer out there and the opportunities for exclusive memberships, I think i might be out of the next round. It's frustrating to see them go at 4PP. If this was so limited and you can't offer it to members, why do 4PP?

lionssoccer13 and spersichilli like this.
  3. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,853) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

So? This has happened before. They've done sales straight to El Cat members first come first serve.

What really torqued me off was the administrator's responses in the Facebook El Cat group. I'm paraphrasing from memory (can't quickly find the post) but it went something like "Gee, we talk about y'all requesting BA Huna all the time, just didn't work out this time!" So....you know that's what people want, you brew it, & it doesn't go to the club. WTF?

I have a long, long love affair with Cigar City going back to shortly after it opened (the t-shirt I have was the first one they shipped) & have been a member since Round 1. I've regularly poo-pooed those who feel entitled in this & other clubs, but this feels different & deliberate. I'll probably stay in, but this is the first time since Round 1 I've actively considered dropping out for the next round.

4. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (203) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

The chick that has been running it this edition should know full well. She supposedly was in charge of Prairies Prairie Dog club. Or maybe that is why its such a let down.

lionssoccer13 likes this.
  5. spersichilli

spersichilli Aspirant (250) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

I mean this is her first year running the membership, so I wouldn’t blame it on her. That being said I 100% agree it’s bullshit that members didn’t get access to this

6. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (324) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

So...I was passing along what CCB said.

Nothing more

7. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (168) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois

Truthfully I'm not sure why I do cat club when I can just buy all of the bottles that I want from the club for less than members pay. I constantly see people selling club bottles from a couple years ago for 25 bucks. Actually giving members something exclusive (no, not an opportunity to buy leftover huna that you can't move) would make me not even hesitate with a membership.

lionssoccer13 and spersichilli like this.
  8. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (351) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

Having the opportunity to buy beers such as AB Huna without driving 60 miles and standing in a f'ng line is one of the reasons I tried to join from the beginning and finally got in at #6, pre-paying for unknown beers. But I got a wheatwine instead. New gal doesn't broadcast on my frequency. #12 and out.

9. buccsmf1

buccsmf1 Initiate (11) Aug 19, 2017 Florida

this is my first year and i dont think ill be back. there isnt a single beer theyve released that's made me want to drive the 10 minutes it would take for me to get to CCB to pick the bottles up. so far ive picked up charleywine and thats it. it was fine but nothing that blew me away.

I joined to get some great beer without having to wait in line. but due to covid everyone else has shifted to online ordering anyways. and now i can decide what drops i want, instead of prepaying for a bunch of barleywines

the exclusion from drops such as apple brandy is probably enough to end it. but who knows, they have a few more drops to change my mind

#169 buccsmf1, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  10. shand

shand Meyvn (1,439) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Charleywine is still the best beer I've had this year, that's including the new AB Huna, most of the AC releases this year, etc, etc.

jloomis likes this.
  11. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (289) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

I would drive many miles for Charleywine
    While bummed on AB Huna, and I’ve been a member since round 1, I still think this round so far and last round have been great. Seriously Charleywine is outstanding

shand likes this.
  12. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (209) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Trader

I’ve been in since round 1, and while Charleywine is a pretty great beer, I would have never driven to Tampa to stand in line to get it. I don’t buy the excuse that they didn’t have enough of the beer to offer it to club members because they have done this many times in and past, and other bottle clubs do the same thing. As long as there is a disclaimer that there are only “X” number of bottles and “X” number of members, most people are going to be ok with this situation. Not everyone, but most. You can’t take what is arguably CCBs most coveted beer in history and give it away at 4pp, having told paying club members that there just wasn’t enough to offer you guys.

I’ve been in since the beginning and there have been great rounds and not so great rounds. I’ve thought about giving it up many times but I’m finally going to rip off the bandaid. It was a pleasure CCB.

13. shand

Trader

I'm not sure there was a way to release 450 bottles of AB Huna without making people upset, to be honest. I showed up in line way earlier than I needed to (an hour and a half before opening) and was just glad that I was able to guarantee a bottle, unlike a lottery would have. As a local that went, I was very happy with how things went. I got way more AB Huna than I would have if it was offered to the club, and I felt way safer in the line than I do going to the grocery store nowadays.

It was way better than stalking the tasting room for a week to get Cali Brandy Huna, or the absolute clusterfuck that the bourbon/rum/whisky/virgin oak Huna release was. The limit was 4pp based on who showed up. If more people showed up, it wouldn't have been 'given away' at 4pp. They wanted to sell through before the bar/restaurant opening, they had a one-way system (again to keep people safe) that took basically the whole bar space and half of the restaurant space.

I'd be very happy to stand in line for CCB barleywines, but the lack of local popularity of the style means I don't have to. A beer like Celestial Insurance was more line-worthy than anything else released in Tampa Bay last year, but I was able to just show up to the tasting room and buy as much as I wanted.

Maybe the better idea would have been to just not do the release at all and use the AB Zhukov in a new Capricho Obscuro or something. I highly doubt the original plan was to have such a low bottle count release, maybe a couple barrels just didn't turn out how they wanted.

jloomis likes this.
  14. bob_roberts

bob_roberts Initiate (83) Oct 15, 2016 Colorado

interesting email today.... small R&D/tasting event for 15 people, but there just wasn't enough AB huna to go around for the club members.

spersichilli likes this.
  15. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Disciple (383) Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Yeah, I have no idea what the R&D questions are that they have planned, but I hope they hear loudly and clearly from the participants how some/many of us feel about the way they handled the AB Huna release (hint: we didn't much care for it).

maximum12 likes this.
  16. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (660) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Another ECC member since round 1. The whole point of ECC was to release the best of the barrel program to members. Comparing the last couple of TBBW releases, and now AB Huna, to ECC offerings its clear the best of the barrel program isn't going to ECC members. It's going to the public. I've barely hung on the last few rounds but AB Huna was the final push for me. As mentioned above, the way beer geeks acquire beer these days it won't be hard to pick the ECC beers I want and get them at or below cost or can trade for them pretty easily. The odd release to the public or ECC beer that really gets hype I can pay secondary and still save money vs. the $275 twice every year I've been spending. And how about a little recognition from CCB for the folks that have stuck it out through 12 rounds? That's a fair amount of cash since 2013. I give up. Round 12 is my last.

ps why does the wax on AB Huna smell like rotten puke? I know others have had the same experience but not sure why.

lateralusbeer, maximum12 and LADEDA like this.
  17. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (203) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

They will choose the locals that frequent the taproom and are ECC fan bois. Thats what they did last time. Hopefully I am wrong and they will get an earfull.

LADEDA likes this.
  18. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,853) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Great idea sir. Rather than just bitching on a board, I at least plan on sending a (mostly polite) note to Cigar City's rep asking WTF. And probably on Facebook too. If they get enough flack maybe they'll at least think about giving ECC members first crack at desirable beers, though they probably still won't do it.

johnyb, bigdaddypolite and jloomis like this.
  19. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Initiate (130) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Trader

As a non-Catador member, I was extremely surprised at their decision to do something like this publicly. I was happy to get bottles but if it was Catador only (which I expect every BA stout of theirs to be) I wouldn't have complained. That's what memberships are for. They could have done a lottery, perhaps. However, maybe they have something even better lined up for you guys in the club.

jloomis and lionssoccer13 like this.
  20. Axic10

Axic10 Defender (626) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

I just got two bottles tonight and put them on my kitchen counter. I just went back in and the entire room stinks from that wax. What is up with that?

21. johnyb

johnyb Crusader (718) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I had them in my home office for a day and I kept checking my shoes and feet thinking I had some kind of swampfoot issue going on. I'm afraid to open the beer cooler door now that they're in there.

22. shand

Trader

Your cooler will be very funky. I took the wax off my bottles, it just peels off once you cut it.

LADEDA likes this.
  23. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Disciple (383) Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

I heard the wax was blended with the anguish of El Cat members who weren't offered any AB Huna. That likely accounts for the smell.

24. Beer_Baron87

Beer_Baron87 Initiate (30) Feb 15, 2019 Florida

Just got an email stating no Hunahpu Day this year, but there will be a release of the regular bottles along with a BA variant. Waiting for more details to come

25. Beer_Baron87

El Catador members check your emails, early access to purchasing Huna and Bourbon BA Huna starting tomorrow at 10am. Looks like they want us to use the OZNR app for purchasing and future el catador memberships. Pretty easy to set up

jloomis likes this.
  26. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (320) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Probably a question better directed towards El Cat, but I have the OZNR app, but I signed up for it with a different email than I use for my El Cat login. From the sounds of the email it needs to be the same. Does this mean I will need to delete my current OZNR account and sign up for a new one?

27. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Champion (880) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

No, You can set up a second OZNR account with the other email. Just go to your account information in the ap and log out. Once you are logged out confirm you age again and set up a new account with the El Cat email.

johnyb likes this.
  28. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (324) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

You can also ask them to switch your email

29. buttchugginCBS

buttchugginCBS Initiate (33) Feb 17, 2016 Colorado

Sounds like no Huna pick-ups at the Boulder location. Is that correct?

30. bob_roberts

bob_roberts Initiate (83) Oct 15, 2016 Colorado

that is correct. however, it seems pretty easy to work out a proxy using the facebook group.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  31. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (320) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yea I reached out to OZNR per El Cat to get it switched. Hope it doesn't take to long.

32. macrosmatic

macrosmatic Poo-Bah (2,873) Mar 9, 2006 Florida
    Society Trader

Anybody else that can't order the bottles? I've tried on the app and on the website in the email. No dice...

33. Axic10

Axic10 Defender (626) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

This was just posted in the Facebook group:

Hey all! I know there’s a glitch with Oznr today. Here’s a message from them. Please open a customer service ticket with Oznr if you’re having trouble viewing the offers once your account is set up:

Hey all, Eric from Oznr here. We've had a few of you reach out saying you weren't getting access to your account. Please know my co-founders are in the process of getting you added to the membership. Give us a little time to manually add you back.

We've talked with Micki at Cigar City and we'll certainly give you all more time to purchase. I've already pushed the time back to 8pm.

I'll let you know ASAP when you should have access to your account.

jloomis and macrosmatic like this.
  34. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (289) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Would be nice to have an email addressing this since not everyone uses FB.
    Been trying to figure it out for the last hour

Lare453 likes this.
  35. OzzyTheWhale

OzzyTheWhale Initiate (5) Jan 30, 2021

Hey everyone, Eric from Oznr. For the deets on this year's Hunahpu release, check out our blog: Everything you need to know about the 2021 Hunahpu release

Also regarding those handful of El Cat members who had trouble accessing their account, that was on me. I loaded some of the emails with an extra space in front of the email. Hope I didn't stress anyone out too much!

36. Todd

Todd Founder (6,268) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

37. scotti561

scotti561 Initiate (91) Feb 2, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I got an email yesterday with a 2/27 pickup date for the final bottle. Anyone remember what the final bottle is? I didnt see those details listed.

38. Beer_Baron87

Shand posted this on the first page, looks like

Spiritual Needs: Rye Barrel-aged Imperial Stout with Buckwheat and Rye