El-Catador Club 6th Edition

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by tbart75, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atothesquiz

atothesquiz Initiate (0) May 2, 2011 New York

You mean some where approximately between 1500 & 3000.

2. LADEDA

LADEDA Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2014 Florida

My wife has been in the lotto as well since it started, and she has heard nothing. I would say there is still a waiting list, but its size unknown. I am scratching my head more about the availability of Hunah tickets.

HossUF likes this.
  3. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Crusader (491) Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

if so they haven't talked to me...

lateralusbeer likes this.
  4. pcshotsauce33

pcshotsauce33 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Me and my wife have been in the lottery since the beginning and she got the invitation for Round 6 on Saturday but not me even after the second wave today

5. kjrod20

kjrod20 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2005 New York

This for my wife and I as well. She got in this time, apparently on the second round since she got the email today.

6. Taylor910

Taylor910 Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2014 Florida

Wife and I have both been in since the start of the lottery, no luck for either of us. Wish they would fulfill all who have been waiting before they let new sign ups in.

7. Lare453

Lare453 Pooh-Bah (2,822) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Trader

If you're not sure, why would you?

Came up short in round one? They were on sale at the brewery for a week then online for two days.

8. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Savant (1,222) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

For Round 1, to buy online, you had to send an email at a specified time (I believe it was 6 or 7 pm on a given night). My friends and I all tried. Only one of us got in but then you had to log in during a specified window in to actually purchase. We were going to share it. My buddy who got in for us forgot about signing up and missed the window. It wasn't like anyone could log online and buy it. So yeah, I came up short. And I'm not local so I couldn't have gone to the brewery.

And if I'm not sure, why would I? I never said I was going to. I only said I'm not sure right now. Maybe I'll decide I want to buy Saturday. Maybe I won't.

#168 RyanMcFly1985, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    AaronRodgers likes this.
  9. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Savant (1,222) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

^Typo. *Maybe I'll decide I want to join by Saturday. Maybe I won't.

10. Lapalou

Lapalou Pundit (856) Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Just stopped in to have a couple bourbon Zhukov on tap, drinking fantastic. While sometimes we expect all 5 beers to be whales, we set expectations too high. I agree with comment above, if you expect good beers you'll get them and sometimes great beers. If you expect AB Huna you're wasting your money.

On the flip side I hear 17 Huna is tasting much better than 16 and also don't hate El cat rd 6 based on the first bottle released.

AaronRodgers and NickTee like this.
  11. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (1,042) Sep 18, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

This seems to come up a lot lately. I think beer is in a much different place today than it was when round 1 was introduced. There are so many clubs out there now. So many more breweries. It's just not the same.

I think at this point it just comes down to personal preference. For me, CCB's BA program is one of the best in the country. I've been more than pleased with more than 9 out of 10 beers overall. I understand that not every beer will be a homerun. And that the majority of the beers in the club will not have any trade value. So to go out of my way for the club I feel like I have to have some really good reason to. Being an out of towner.

I like the unknown, having the ability to try several BA beers I wouldn't be able to try otherwise. But it always comes back to the beer. CCB is easily one of my favorites. They are the Shramms of the BA beer world to me. Minus the trade value.

Hope this helps.

12. JPick

JPick Pundit (755) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

El Cat's first bottle released from round 6 hasn't been announced yet, has it?

13. DMaCATO

DMaCATO Zealot (513) Dec 19, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

Ha! I read that as him saying don't hate the membership based on the first bottle they release. Like, chances are it isn't going to have a incredible WOW factor to it.. give the membership some time...

JPick likes this.
  14. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

What I think is happening is people put in like 5 emails for the lottery and once they win 1 they are in, but the other 4 stay active and then next time they win 2 spots, but don't use either leaving spots open for the second lottery and probably a tertiary lottery to come. They really should have made it a non refundable deposit towards membership once you are picked or something to join the lottery.

15. arkitip

arkitip Aspirant (254) Mar 10, 2016 Florida

I think that currently the club is a greater benefit to non locals. I was in for Rd 4 and 5 and then legit forgot to reup for 6 because I'm a procrastinator of the highest variety.
    I was annoyed at myself, but honestly, they've been tapping a lot of the El Cat releases. If you're a local that doesn't care about trading in the slightest and just wants to drink a great beer the membership in the club is slightly devalued because you can just keep an eye on the tasting room.

I mean shit, BA Zhukov is still on tap from Sunday and Endless Nameless made it from Sunday until sometime today.

16. Bartos

Bartos Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Florida

Just because a couple people that won the lottery in the first wave opted to not go through with the membership so they offered a second wave of lottery?

Have to remember that once you sign up, you entered into the lotteries for all future rounds. Meaning there are people that signed up well in the past whoever moved, or changed their emails, or can no longer afford it.

Curmunchkin likes this.
  17. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Savant (1,170) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I am sure there are a lot of people that do not check their email regularly so they missed the first lottery email. I know I never saw an announcement on social media for the first wave just the second wave. Bartos has a point, many people signed up for the lottery the first time and have completely forgotten about it and don't realize they are still active int he system.

Looking forward to the bottles this round. Took a peak in the middle cooler/building last time i was at CCB ----Barrels everywhere----

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  18. GDawgs34

GDawgs34 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2014 Georgia

"also don't hate El cat rd 6 based on the first bottle released."

Well, this doesnt sound promising already

19. wesbourne

wesbourne Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2013 Florida

I think the local competition and stellar beers coming from them are taking the steam out of El Cat (plus the doubled bottle counts). You can now go to Cycle and choose which solid BA stouts you want to buy and if it's not your fancy not spend the $25-30, Angry Chairs bottle releases have all been stellar as well. I now picking up my beers at CCB and then driving over to Angry chair to buy their bottles and sample beers in their tasting room over CCB. I stay El cat knowing that maybe 2-3 of the 5 I will like and hope there is 1 "banger" per round like BA MZ or DBH. The pumpkin or strong ale / barleywine for bottle 1 always provides instant buyers remorse though.... lets hope this round is different.

Zack_B and NoleBeerNoleFun like this.
  20. basto

basto Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 Utah

I am still holding out hope for some sort of barrel aged saison or sour. They did get a couple foeders a year or so ago and specifically said they were working on something for el cat.

While I know that Hapax was not supposed to have any Brett in it I really dug that beer. Would like to see more like it.

Hoping for fewer sugar bombs this time around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.