El Catador Club - Round 10 - The 10th Anniversary Round

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by FLBeerGuy, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Scope4Beer

Scope4Beer Devotee (412) Sep 28, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

My beers arrived safely yesterday. That’s never been a problem with Kolo. Still not thrilled that it took 4 days and sat over the weekend during the middle of summer. On a separate note, I had Costello 12 last night and I loved it. I honestly thought it was one of the better beers I’ve had in the past year.

cardsfan likes this.
  2. zeile33

zeile33 Initiate (53) Oct 8, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

I was checking my shipment over the weekend and it was moving. Not sure how, but I was happy to see it.

The email said RD11 is still kolo eligible but when I signed up last night I couldn't buy the services from kolo....

3. shand

shand Meyvn (1,411) Jul 13, 2010 Florida

It appears to be a very unpopular opinion but things like Whole Cigar, Confectionator, Tannhauser Gate, and Costello 12 are what I want to see out of ECC. Cycle and Angry Chair keep me more than satisfied in the stout game. You're not gonna see either put out a bomb ass barrel aged Belgian strong dark ale like Absolutely Okay or Costello 12.

4. Quick25

Quick25 Initiate (16) Dec 15, 2017 Florida

Over the weekend FOMO caught up to me and I signed up for round 11. I still need to pick up everything from this round; I've been taking my time getting over there because my wife/drinking partner is pregnant, so I'll be planning to save them until January at least so she can enjoy as well. Any thoughts on freshness being important/better on any of this round's releases? The cans of vanilla big sound are the only one I'm thinking.

5. shand

shand Meyvn (1,411) Jul 13, 2010 Florida

Confectionator is the only one of the bottles I'd be particularly concerned about freshness on.

Quick25 likes this.
  6. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,383) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I’ve had 6 of the 11 bottles so far and they all been fantastic. Idk what people are bitching about. Comfectionator is incredible.

7. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (280) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

That’s the one I’m most excited about. I’ve only had 2 so far but they were great. I loved the Berry MZ, I want another it was so good.

I’m back in for round 11. No lines no hassles, great beers

8. Lapalou

Lapalou Disciple (316) Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I’m happy to see the good reviews, I’ve only had MZDE, tan Hauser, king Curtis, Portis cryptus, Enjoying my coffee... but it sounds like this rd should be judged on the whole cigar, confectionator, Costello and the MZ parade. And a shout out for Vanilla big sound too. Sounds like I have some work to do this weekend

9. core42

core42 Zealot (523) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Hey all, I'm in need of a proxy for this round. My proxy moved recently & he is much further away so he won't be able to get there for me this time. Standard label & thank you beers will be provided for anyone that can help out

Thanks,
    Jeff

10. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,086) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Anybody have any inside info on Kolo? After reports they were closing up shop, Cigar City pimped them in the renewal email, & it looks like you can sign up for the "El Cat" shipment on their website, but it still has the 10th Anniversary logo on it, which makes me hesitant to jump.

If I have to, I'll contact them via email, but avoiding personal human contact would be much better.

frenchblood21 likes this.
  11. johnyb

johnyb Defender (677) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Agree, human beings are vastly overrated

maximum12 likes this.
  12. zeile33

zeile33 Initiate (53) Oct 8, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

I emailed CC about this. They said they'll let us know when kolo opens up for the 11th edition.

maximum12 likes this.
  13. core42

core42 Zealot (523) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Thanks to everyone that reached out, I am all set for Round X

The Round X proxy shows sold out & I couldn't add it when I was in there last week

14. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Savant (927) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

I was confused about this as well. A buddy confirmed with them that they aren’t shipping Cycle bottles going forward.

spersichilli likes this.
  15. El_Catador

El_Catador Initiate (25) Wednesday Florida

Hello! Chris here from El Catador. Thanks for everyone being a part of the club.

To answer a couple of questions I saw...

Yes - KOLO will be an option for the 11th Edition. Once they add a button to their website we will let all our members know. It may occur after the club 11 signups end, but you will still be able to get KOLO to be your trustee for this next edition.

Yes - we are limiting the number of bottles for this upcoming round (some of the reasons were mentioned in our email to current members)

Yes - we are okay with people having more than one allotment, BUT it will need to be done via a second, separate account. That said, there is still only a finite number of bottles that will be available.

Yes - we are crazy serious about the beer being picked up by the deadline due to construction. This Sunday August 25 is the LAST DAY for Tampa members. Boulder members, you have until August 30.

Yes - we just finished all the selections for the 11th Edition and I am personally happy with them as a member (I have been a member since the beginning - long before I took the helm here).

If anyone has any questions about the club, please email club@cigarcitybrewing.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers!

Scope4Beer, MTKATL, zeile33 and 5 others like this.
  16. carolinabeerguy

Trader

Is NC pickup even being considered?

17. El_Catador

El_Catador Initiate (25) Wednesday Florida

We would love NC to be a location. Unfortunately the labeling requirements do not match with what we are able to do for FL & CO to get the beer out in a timely fashion.

Basically, because the beer is barrel-aged and blended the final ABV is not available for the COLA approval process, which must be started long before it goes into bottle.

dtx00 and ElmerLovejoy like this.
  18. carolinabeerguy

Trader

Makes sense, actually. Thanks for the info.

TomDRaleigh and El_Catador like this.
  19. johnyb

johnyb Defender (677) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I have a question. When are you guys going to be done bottling my Apple Brandy BA Huna ?

20. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (216) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Unless he’s a long time lurker on these threads, that one may have sailed over his head. Solid response though.

Slam2872, jloomis and Lare453 like this.
  21. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Disciple (390) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

I think Cognac BA blended with AB BA Huna should be in this round.

22. Moc513

Moc513 Aspirant (208) May 24, 2012 New York
    Trader

If you know the selections in advance, why not release that info? Might help people decide on renewing or not

23. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (78) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

Because of the “or not” part.

And because of the whole “aging beer in barrels has a lot of variables blah blah blah we can’t gaurantee an infection of a planned beer won’t happen.” And then people be pissed off the only reason they signed up was beer x and that beer had something go wrong.

And to avoid all the dumb questions “I only want beers 2 and 5, will those be available individually at a later date?”

El_Catador and maximum12 like this.
  24. MJS08

MJS08 Initiate (78) Jul 29, 2014 Florida

Just wanted to say your avatar sure would look good on a t-shirt. :wink:. Hopefully, not one so thin you can see through it. Cheers.

El_Catador likes this.