El Catador Club - Round 3

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by TampaRainman, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Florida

Round 3 will be shorter. Round 2 was delayed because of the bottling line being down for an extended period and because at least 1-2 beers not being ending up being good enough for ECC bottles so they had to come up with something else.

2. cleg

cleg Initiate (120) May 7, 2013 Florida

3 of the 5 bottles are already bottled...#4 is being bottled next week and #5 soon there after. I would be surprised if round 3 lasts through May or June

TBBAGBIF and Mangbus like this.
  3. Bartos

Bartos Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Florida

So, I guess it is probably already to late to start petitioning that the Round 4 "item" be an El Catador YOpener rather than another glass or tshirt.:flushed:

jloomis and dsigmon like this.
  4. Mangbus

Mangbus Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Florida

I'd be happy with a shirt or a yopener

5. Gtreid

Gtreid Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2008 Florida

So other than ipsum, what others are bottled or being bottled?

mgr78704 likes this.
  6. Mangbus

There are already approved labels for Outskirts, Opal and a Red Wine BA Lacto Cran? - someone mentioned it in a prior post in this thread.

7. Axic10

Axic10 Defender (626) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

This would make sense with what Joey had mentioned to me at a Philly Beer Week event last June that they would like this to be a 2-3 times a year club.

8. BKnarr

BKnarr Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Florida
    Deactivated

I could use a new shirt. I've "outgrown" my round 1 shirt.

mxracercam, johnyb, jloomis and 2 others like this.
  9. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,414) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

And bourbon winter warmer

Mangbus likes this.
  10. Mangbus

there is also a label for Trousseau and it is a Barley Wine-style ale aged in Madiera barrels

11. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,752) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

That is not something I wanted to hear

12. Barhoppin13

Barhoppin13 Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2013 Florida

Me either, and I don't want a bunch of BA barleywine beers.

13. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Initiate (130) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Yeah, I hate to complain but the labels that are approved right now or whatever don't sound very exciting. Hopefully that's what they meant when they said some of the beers aren't going to be El Cat exclusive. I can see a Bourbon Winter Warmer being out on the shelves just like BA Big Sound for example.

Bartos and Mangbus like this.
  14. Mangbus

It could easily be Lorem Ipsum, Opal, Outskirts, Trousseau and the BA Stout @cleg referenced.

That would be a porter, 2 barleywines, a stout and whatever Opal is.

15. mgr78704

mgr78704 Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Texas

@kmello69

16. Bartos

According to the label: Ale dry-hopped with Opal hops and aged in brandy barrels.

17. Mangbus

I know that. I just meant what type of Ale? Most likely Barleywine but could be a Scotch.

18. Lare453

Trader

Strong ale

Mangbus likes this.
  19. Lapalou

Lapalou Disciple (322) Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Trader

CCB has a ton of beer in barrels right now. So other than El Cat 3 running quickly I'd expect to see more BA releases moving forward. Assuming they avoid infections. I think they had to slow down for a while based on space and demand. In addition to the new beers and the labels out there I think we'll see more of the yearly staples in BA format going forward, similar to BA big sound and the above mention of winter warmer. They had the instagram post with the Spanish brandy barrels, so at some point that beer will end up in bottles.

20. darkwing1

darkwing1 Initiate (147) May 13, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I've got to somewhat disagree with you last comment. One could argue that the majority of Joe Redner Sr's payroll is made up of very competent contractors :wink:

johnyb, jloomis, gjoker321 and 3 others like this.
  21. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (351) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

:rolling_eyes:I stand clarified, sir.

darkwing1 likes this.
  22. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Florida

Yea 1 barley wine a round is enough for me.

23. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,852) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Depends. They could make Leon & Church on a Hill five rounds per club & I'd be delighted every day of the week.

24. yumbeer

yumbeer Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Florida

I understand we're not getting anywhere. As a fan/consumer, you don't understand, nor should you be expected to understand the inner workings of the beer business and that's perfectly ok. However, Ccb knew there would be huge demand for el cat 3, so you'd think they would have prepared better for it. 10k+ isn't really a lot in the world of websites if you are expecting the traffic. They should have known better and prepared for it. They didn't. Frankly, they've yet to properly prepare for any online sale yet. It's really that simple. I think we can all agree ecc sign ups were a mess.

I posted the thread about AB to pass on what I heard. Nothing more. I wasn't bashing them. In fact, if you read through the thread, I even agreed that I don't blame anyone at CCB for wanting to sell. If I were in their position, I would too.

I truly don't understand people that defend a brewery as if it were their own. They've made some mistakes and I would think most reasonable people would agree.

I'm also going to bow out of this conversation because I see no point in continuing. Arguing with strangers over something that at the end of the day doesn't really affect any of our lives is kinda pointless.

25. Barhoppin13

Barhoppin13 Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2013 Florida

Not everyone on these boards are "just fan/consumers"
    I'm just saying that maybe you should pause for a moment before regurgitating something you heard from a distributors rep. Smh

26. fiver29

fiver29 Disciple (398) Sep 18, 2007 Ohio

They could never brew another Huna variant again for all I care. I enjoy most of the brews they make in this club. Only one I can say I didn't enjoy was the Error Establishing Connection. Huh. I see the irony in that one hehe

I appreciate the versatility in the offerings and I can understand why 150-200 don't renew each time based on the comments in this thread.

TampaRainman likes this.
  27. gjoker321

gjoker321 Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2007 Florida

Although I would love some more Huna/MZ variants I also enjoy the versatility in the offerings.

28. Lare453

Trader

They have made some mistakes but, crying about not getting an el cat membership because you have a bar that sells a lot of ccb beer, isn't one of them. Which is what everyone got from all your posts.

I think there are many people that understand, all too well, the inner workings of the beer world. Its the same as any other business, if you sold enough, you'd probably know the owners, an in turn could call them up on a Sunday, ask them how their family is and then ask for a couple kegs or a membership to el cat.

There are plenty of bars in Florida and NYC that get plenty of special kegs. Last time in NYC ginger man had two years of huna on draft and ten other ccb taps.

#388 Lare453, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    evilcatfish and jloomis like this.
  29. Mangbus

Cellar Raid!

mjmcdonough73 likes this.
  30. mjmcdonough73

mjmcdonough73 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2014 Florida

I'm in on the cellar raid!

31. mgr78704

mgr78704 Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Texas

Damn...if only that was a little later in the week. Sounds epic.

32. Bartos

For those that missed the post on social media:

"We are pleased to announce the first-ever El Catador Club exclusive event on Monday, March 7th at 7:00pm, at Cigar City Brewing during Tampa Bay Beer Week.

Introducing: The Cellar Raid. We've raided our vintage beer cellar and are offering access to these nigh-impossible-to-find beers exclusively to select El Catador Club members.

Our staff has hand-selected some of our most difficult to find kegs to pour for this event. Among the beers available will be:

-2013 Hunahpu's Imperial Stout
    -2015 Endless Nameless Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Stout
    -2012 Leon Brandy Barrel-aged Barley Wine
    -2014 110K+OT Batch #7 Imperial Chocolate Porter

In addition to these beers available for sale by-the-glass, we've also mined the depths of our bottle cellar to find some truly outrageous bottles to share with our El Catador Club members. These bottles will not be for sale by the bottle or by the glass but will be offered free-of-charge in sample sizes to all in attendance. A brief glimpse at the list includes:

-2013 Don Gavino's Big Guava Chardonnay Barrel-aged Sour Ale
    -2013 California Brandy Barrel-aged Hunahpu's Imperial Stout
    -2014 Grandmule Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Porter
    -2014 Rum Barrel-Aged Caffè Americano Double Stout
    -2012 Hot Blooded Foreign Export Stout

...and many others.

El Catador Club members are encouraged to join in the Cellar Raid by bringing ONE BOTTLE from their own collection to share with your fellow club members (750 mL or smaller only!). Bottles will be collected upon entrance and served by Cigar City Brewing staff. Bottle shares beyond this are not permitted during this event. Any bottles beyond the one-per-person limit will be epicly drain-poured before the entire crowd.

Event starts promptly at 7:00pm in the Fermentorium at Cigar City Brewing. Tickets to the exclusive event are $5, the entirety of which will be donated to the Pediatric Cancer Foundation (http://fastercure.org/) and are available by clicking here:

https://store.cigarcitybrewing.com/the-cellar-raid-p198.aspx

Make sure you're logged in as an El Catador Club member to view the item!

Due to capacity, there are only 100 tickets available.

Purchase of tickets guarantees ticket holder the ability to purchase any vintage beer available on draught and several complimentary sample-sized pours of various vintage bottled beers. Ticket holder is NOT guaranteed samples of any specific bottles and samples will NOT be offered to those who are visibly intoxicated."

33. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Initiate (0) May 13, 2014 California

Damnit... I won't be in town till Wednesday. Grrrr... :slight_frown:

34. Zhillsgator

Zhillsgator Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 Florida

Got one! Stressful few minutes trying to complete the transaction!

35. TBBAGBIF

TBBAGBIF Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 Georgia

Thanks for posting this. Where was this on social media? I'm not seeing it on Facebook (although I'm not friends with El Catador Club yet) or Twitter.

36. Bartos

Ah...and there is you problem. It was only posted on the El Catador Club FB page. No email or posts to the general CCB social media pages.

There were a number of reports of it having sold out, but it seems like some people are still being able to purchase tickets. Seems like an issue with people putting the ticket in their carts and that not checking out so its times out and because available again for purchase

Mangbus and TBBAGBIF like this.
  37. Mangbus

They need to go through and add people on fb already. I sent a request but it is still pending.

I lucked out and had a good friend text me about it so I didn't miss out.

Bartos, rponder, basto and 1 other person like this.
  38. Bartos

Going to be a good night. See you there

Mangbus likes this.
  39. Lare453

Trader

I missed out, but I bought I bought a lot of beer from ccb. They should have personally sent me an email and called me... And sent me an owl like in Harry potter... And came to my house to see if I wanted a ticket.

Sounds like fun! Good cause too. Should have charged a couple bucks more if it is going to charity.

Stinks I didn't get a ticket, but there is so much going on, not disappointed.

jloomis, atothesquiz, basto and 4 others like this.
  40. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (611) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

What? This is unfair for those of us members who aren't local!!!!!! We should get a chance at some of the cellar bottles!

^I'm just kidding, but I'm sure some douche bag out there is thinking this

basto and Dicers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.