El Catador Club - Round 3

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by TampaRainman, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disGRUNTled

disGRUNTled Initiate (135) Sep 21, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I think you are missing the point on why people are mad, most are not mad because they did not get a membership they are mad because CCB cannot hire a competent IT to make sure their website does not crash when they know they will have as you mentioned 10,000 k people on their site. It would be a lot easier for people to swallow if they went on the website attempted to purchase and it said sold out you know like almost ever good website. Instead what you get is a website crashing off the bat people's memberships being removed form their cart half way to the process I type with 2 fingers I can't type 70 wpm so it might take me a minute. I experienced what most people did which was a sh*t website I also believe in taking care of locals by keeping it to in person sign ups on a random weekday before some Cali guy that does not support the brewery by buying their year round beers. Also I have no dog in this fight as last year I was stationed in Camp Lejeune during round 2 sing ups so I split the membership cost with my bro obviously he had no trouble renewing, called him up after this debacle he said paypal him 80$ he will pick up all the bottles and come up to visit me in Jville for a bottle share.

CaptCleveland and havron like this.
  2. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Glad everyone out of state got in. I was worried!

FSUlaw-and-brew likes this.
  3. TBBAGBIF

TBBAGBIF Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 Georgia

I got the same. Kept trying to checkout but the 3 "free" items were sold out, so I tried checking out with "just" the $160 membership and it went through. Based on CCBs statement: "Anyone who had an order go through without a dollar amount unfortunately did not receive a membership" makes me think that anyone whose order went through WITH a dollar amount DVD receive a membership. By the way, the transaction took place around 8:25 after 10 or 15 failed checkouts.

4. yumbeer

yumbeer Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Florida

Glad the people that spend 5 figures with these guys annually can't get in either. What a joke.

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

And we're surprised by ccbs online garbage still???

havron and floridadrift like this.
  6. yumbeer

Too soon to say I hope the rumors are true and all you out of staters are getting barrel aged Bud?

7. Jas45678

Jas45678 Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

If you mean Vanilla Rye, I'll take it

8. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 California

Serious question, you spend more than 10 grand @ CCB annually? If so that's wild man!

9. NoleBeerNoleFun

NoleBeerNoleFun Initiate (104) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Trader

The Shit Show on The CCB Scale was only about an 8 out of 10..they are capable of doing worse

10. yumbeer

I own a beer bar. So, not as wild as it may have sounded. But yes, I spend 5 figures with them annually.

floridadrift and Hamrhdz like this.
  11. Mangbus

Mangbus Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Florida

If every bar in FL who buys CCB got a membership, there wouldn't have been memberships to sell.

jloomis, evilcatfish, treznor and 2 others like this.
  12. Dismembered_MC

Dismembered_MC Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2014 California

Got my membership at 5:25 Pacific Time. Persistence pays off :wink:

13. yumbeer

1) The disdain runs deeper than that, which we don't need to get into here
    2) How many actually wanted one?
    3) Having a very significant number of dedicated draft lines to a brewery is more than just "a bar in Florida" - we spend much more than the average bar with them. I.e. it's not uncommon to see 6-8 lines at one time from them regularly.

Also, math would say keeping 200 bar owners (I doubt there were that many locally who even cared to join) happy would be more financially prudent than 200 random fans from out of state. So, the "wouldn't be memberships to sell" point would be moot.

#253 yumbeer, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. sandlansd

sandlansd Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2014 Pennsylvania

So. Much. Entitlement.

So. Much. Whining.

Unless all you locals complaining are 23 or younger, you had a chance to join the first incarnation of el cat... When you could've walked leisurely into their brewpub to sign up any day of the week.

But you either didn't believe it was worth it or didn't care enough about CCB to know about it.

Either way, the fact that you now spend 1k or 10k or 100k annually at what is now a nationally renowned brewery doesn't make you entitled to anything.

Cigar city does a lot of cool things for the tampa community and for the local craft beer scene. They continue to reward those locals who believed in them and joined el cat when their barrel program was in its infancy by allowing current members the right to renew. The fact that they chose to offer the extremely limited number of open spots to everyone is entirely their prerogative and is, in my opinion, pretty cool.

All that said, the website issues were lame and frustrating regardless of whether you are in FL, CA, PA, or Russia. And they need to do better in the future.

15. Mangbus

Mangbus Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Florida

completely understood. not knocking you.
    I'm a reasonable person and I wasn't trolling you.

With that said, I'm sure your 6-8 lines is recognized by your distributor and you get special taps that help you provide an awesome assortment for your customers.

I know of plenty of in state people that got in on this round. I am one of them. I'm happy for the chance. I was prepared for a shit show and it worked out.

16. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,754) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

I got through

Beer4B, Jas45678, Vikings1201 and 2 others like this.
  17. yumbeer

Here's what it really comes down to. When breweries get to a certain size, they stop giving a sh*t about the people that supported them when they were nobody. It's not a knock on CCB but if you've been around beer for sometime, you've seen it too. It's not entitlement. I can choose to shop elsewhere. That's my choice. But, when you support any business to a certain extent, you expect better from them in return.

Mangbus - that's where the disdain comes from. They've essentially pulled most of the special kegs from our area over the last year because they "need to sell more of it in the tap room to help with the cost of expansion." We haven't seen much special in over a year. With the kind of volume we do with them, that's pretty disheartening - whether because they want to expand or not. This was just another example of it all.

I'm happy for you that you were able to get in. Seriously. Not being sarcastic. It is very frustrating though that this was online and at that, the website was complete BS like every CCB online sale. You'd think they could afford some decent IT help...it's really not that complicated.

floridadrift and Mangbus like this.
  18. sandlansd

You dirty rotten no good out of state POS.

floridadrift likes this.
  19. floridadrift

I hope, if a Hunahpu variant appears, it will be released to the public, in the tasting room and pre-announced this year so we can all prepare for it with my grandma and grandpa and dog and girlfriend and her friend and her parents and their parents.

evilcatfish and BMMillsy like this.
  20. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Aspirant (228) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

Majority of websites are not prepared for that amount of traffic, it has nothing to do with IT, that statement makes no sense. The fact that your bar serves CCB has nothing to do with your membership, in fact I doubt your customers even give a shit. You'll still serve CCB because at the end of they day it comes down to money, that's what runs a business.

For the record I didn't get a membership and didn't even try, I was just want a damn Huna Variant this year!

21. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,414) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

It's not like you missed a membership at the hill farmstead of Tampa. It's just ccb

22. sandlansd

From a pure business perspective, you are not entirely correct. If demand for my product well exceeds my supply, there is nothing / very little to be gained from rewarding my largest customers. If said customers leave, there are others beating down my door to hand me money.

But that's purely theoretical. I have no idea what CCB's supply and demand are like, though i do know that up here in PA, it seems like demand exceeds supply.

Anyway, as a bar owner who sells a lot of their product, i could see where you could expect some special kegs. And if they've pulled those kegs, maybe it makes sense for you to re-evaluate your relationship. But to expect membership to a barrel society where you get 5 750ml beers? No. That doesn't really make much sense. There's no way for you to monetize that ergo no reason for you to get preferred access.

If they were going down that route, why not just auction the memberships to the 200 highest bidders?

23. Lare453

Trader

Are you losing money on the ccb beer?

If you are selling it at a loss as a favor to Joey render, than yeah, he owes you a membership. If not, I think there's a lot of entitlement and you sound whiney.

Last I checked there are a Ton of breweries in florida with great beer. Maybe it is time for a switch.

24. fl_beer_fan

fl_beer_fan Initiate (85) Jun 9, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I grew up in Florida, and was introduced to craft beer with Invasion, Jai Alai, Florida Cracker, etc. Dry Hopped on the High Seas literally made me never want to go back to macro brews.

I moved from Florida as it's not the best place for my industry. I've been trading for Cigar City ever since, and visit every time I return home.

I, for one, am glad they opened El Cat up online. It gave some true fans and supporters of this brewery a chance at a great club, even if they don't live in central Florida

Bogart2930 likes this.
  25. floridadrift

Jesus, I'm never going to shake that one off, am I? ... and I complimented your wife! :wink:

Bartos likes this.
  26. Lare453

Trader

Rofl! You know I'm just messin with you!

Bartos, Bogart2930 and floridadrift like this.
  27. floridadrift

Just wait till @flexmagli sees that. I'll have to message him on Facebook or drink with him at his house, begging him to stop trolling me, especially since the JWB butt hurt thread. :stuck_out_tongue: By the way, give me some more Pallet 1 please. Jesus.

28. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (351) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

I can live very easily losing out again. My gripe is the site put me through multiple delays, and collected personal information, including credit card data, and then gave me the boot. The reject notice should have occurred much earlier in the process. I protect such information religiously, but I compromised that information for alcoholic beverages. Shame on me.

29. Lare453

Trader

I'll be cracking a ton of cycle bottles during tbbw. I gotta thin this cellar out.

floridadrift likes this.
  30. Lare453

Trader

I'm guessing you are correct! But what is number 5??? Bourbon winter warmer is the only other ba label out right now.

Also, I hope it isn't lacto cran. The base tasted like chlorine.

#270 Lare453, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  31. Dicers

Fest Crew Society Trader

I used mine for a FL beer man who helps me out a lot so... yeah I'm still an out of state POS *shrug*

32. sandlansd

Sarcasm doesn't come through well online...

Im an out of stater as well and have nothing against you regardless of who the beers are going to (well, unless you're selling them... Then i would take issue)

33. Dicers

Fest Crew Society Trader

I knew you weren't serious and I agree with your exception to the rule :wink:

34. ChugLife

ChugLife Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2012 Colorado

Been a member since day 1. Buddy tried getting in. Not upset that he didn't make it, just that he was able to check out with a $0 amount long before people started getting actual $$$ checkouts. If he would've known that that wasn't the norm, he would've kept trying. It's just decieving. I feel like CCB doesnt want to deal with the "heat" and have to sort through who actually checked out first. He thought he was all set but nexternal blew it. Period.

35. sandlansd

With such a limited number of spots each year, i think they should just go to a lottery system. Give people 5 days or whatever to sign-up and then just draw names. Take the stress off of your network, make it a leisurely experience for your customers instead of intensely mashing refresh on 20 browser windows across 4 devices for 30 mins only to be left in limbo w/ items in your cart but unsure if you actually got a membership.

The current system is basically a lottery as is but without the benefits...Thousands of people trying for 200 slots. And i know for a fact the "fastest" 200 didnt get the membership, as i've seen multiple confirmations from around 8:20 or later. If you got in, it was pure luck. Same as a lottery.

36. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Florida

They could also up their production and increase memenbership. Its not like theyre losing money on this whole venture.

WCKDVBZ likes this.
  37. Bartos

Bartos Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Florida

I agree that they should have done a lottery system for this...if they were set on doing online sign ups. Or they should have done at in person again. No offense to the "non-locals" but it's honestly in CCBs best interest to have more local membership. According to the staff, one of the largest issues with El Cat is the number of people that don't pick up any of their bottles till after the last release (typically during the last week). Which causes a major issue since CCB is always in need of space and all those bottles are just eating up their storage space. But they did in person last year, so I guess it's only fair that they did online this year.

If only one could snap their fingers and make it happen. I think it is largely a space issue. As people have previously mentioned, the demand for CCB is frequently outpacing the supply. Also, while they may not be losing money on El Catador, I sincerely doubt that it brings in the same amount of return as brewing their core beers or the seasonal bombers. When you factor in the costs, time, and space that these BA beers take...it's probably not a profitable as compared to cranking out more "standard" beers.

jloomis and floridadrift like this.
  38. TBBAGBIF

TBBAGBIF Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 Georgia

They could do 2 lotteries, one where you sign up in person for the locals and 1 online for non locals. That way they can determine just how local they want it to be.

39. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2012 Pennsylvania

Ditto, same here

40. Jax1988

Jax1988 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Florida

I was surprised to see that they had a little over 200 spots. I foresee it being the same next time also, especially if they start cranking the beers out faster and starting the next edition. Now only if Cycle would start a similar club...

Hamrhdz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.