El Catador Club - Round 3

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by TampaRainman, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (345) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

I wonder if the wheels are turning in the heads of the good folks at Angry Chair.

floridadrift likes this.
  2. atothesquiz

atothesquiz Initiate (0) May 2, 2011 New York

What you mean to say is that you make at least 5 figures annually because of CCB? I would imagine your margins are at least 50% on every ordinary CCB keg you sell (Jai Alai pint cost is less than $2 where you sell it at $4 or more).

So they not only make you lots of money, but they owe you a ECC membership too, huh?

#282 atothesquiz, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    jloomis, Arsenal0328, WCKDVBZ and 3 others like this.
  3. nmyers462000

nmyers462000 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2013 Florida

Tried and had a group of friends trying on my behalf. We had 10-12 devices and some got to the checkout page, but no hits. At 50-1 (unique hits versus available memberships), it appears I needed 40 more devices trying on my behalf before I would have a legit gripe.

To those saying do a lottery, it basically was one.

Honestly, my only feedback to CCB would be that when the max memberships available were put in carts, then the rest trying to sign up should have been pushed to another page that would have diverted traffic away from those trying to check out. Nonetheless, it was always going to be a first-come-first-served situation, and I figured that going in.

Not even mad about the whole "should have been locals only" thought. And yes, I am local. I get it, there are some hardcore CCB fanboys that do spend a lot of time and money on this brewery. They probably have a somewhat legit gripe. But to that end, CCB owes nothing to anyone with regard to entry into El Cat. There is just too much GREAT beer here in Tampa/St Pete for the non-hardcore CCB folks to have anywhere near a legit gripe.

jloomis and AaronRodgers like this.
  4. nmyers462000

nmyers462000 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2013 Florida

Could be, but if I'm Angry Chair or Cycle or any other local brewery I probably don't want any part of this madness. Especially since they are having plenty of success with bottle releases, and don't need to set up a club/society.

Adrena1ine likes this.
  5. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (201) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I think this really comes down to the guys at CCB being humble about the product. Think about it.
    They contracted with a new web company and set up servers to handle say 2k ip hits. I am sure they pay per hit or pay for a block. Did you think they really expected over 10K different IP's to try and get the 200 or so slots. FUCK NO!!!

They do they best they can and with just over 200 slots they knew there were going to be a ton of BUTTHURT people.
    Get over it. CCB has also said that this year the beers will not necessarily be exclusive to ECC. I look at it as a way to garuntee 5 BA beers that I do not have to drive 2hrs to line up for.

And to they guy that owns the bar..... I owen a bar for 20yrs and never ever blames a brewery for not getting an allocation of a special beer. Its the distributor that is screwing you. NOT CCB. As for the 1000's upon 1000's that you say you spend with them. THis is still a 3 tier system.. of the 1000's CCB is probably getting less than 50% if not less. So stop being so damn entitled.

jloomis, fiver29, Jax1988 and 3 others like this.
  6. KensWorld

KensWorld Meyvn (1,187) Nov 4, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I'm still uncertain that i got in? Like many others, my cart had $160.50 in it. I checked out, gave card info, waited forever. I did this for 40 minutes over and over again, then nothing but an empty cart. So did i get it? I sure hope i at least get an email from CCB telling me the outcome. What a F'n stressful night!

7. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Florida

no

Sarge3130 likes this.
  8. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (345) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

Some feel entitled to insult people in an arrogant manner. I'll get over it.

9. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Florida

I'm already in the club so doesn't affect me but it amazes me how CCB and their vendors constantly underestimate how many hits they need to be able to handle at once.

heatwaves likes this.
  10. KensWorld

KensWorld Meyvn (1,187) Nov 4, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Well at least i now have closure and can move on to the non over hyped BA offerings available in Tampa Bay.

11. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Initiate (129) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Does anyone know where to go to set up being a trustee? I guess even members have to fill something else out to be eligible to pick others' bottles up if I'm not mistaken

12. NoleBeerNoleFun

NoleBeerNoleFun Initiate (104) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Trader

The funny thing is all this angst over a club that has consistently released average to bad beers outside a couple..and I would argue Cigar City's Barrel Aged Program is one of their weak spots as a brewery...still no excuse though for the constant problems CCB has doing online sales...did anyone really think this would go smoothly?

elvisdoc likes this.
  13. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (201) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Sounds like you couldn't get in?

evilcatfish, basto and Lare453 like this.
  14. lionelhutz23

on the ECC website.

15. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Initiate (129) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Trader

But where. I'm looking

Edit: Nevermind. Found it. It's just a check box

16. lionelhutz23

What bottles were bad?

17. NoleBeerNoleFun

Trader

Nope...I dropped out after Year 1....

18. NoleBeerNoleFun

Trader

Off the top of my head Forbidden Island..Don Gavino...Illuminating the Path were not exactly stellar releases in Year 1.....look before all The CCB Fan Boys get all defensive I'm not saying the beers are bad I'm just saying the people that did not get in are not missing out on the greatest beers of all time...

19. fl_beer_fan

fl_beer_fan Initiate (85) Jun 9, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Classic Seminole move :wink:

20. lionelhutz23

I don't think anyone was suggesting every beer is the best beer of all time. I did not care for Forbidden Island either but it's not my style and plenty of people loved it. Don Gavino was fine. It was a chardonnay barrel sour. Was a good beer not great. Illuminating the Path wasn't an ECC bottle it was just an extra available to be purchased.

Lets be honest everyone wants Huna variants and big barrel aged stouts because CCB does them well and they want something to be a whale so they can trade it. CCB doesn't want to make the same shit over and over so they're doing other beers. Some will be a hit and some won't.

I'm glad I'm afforded the opportunity to try all of them even if I won't love them all. The 10% off discount is also worth the price of membership because I buy cases of white oak jai alai every time it's released.

21. basto

basto Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 Utah

Other than DBH year 1 was underwhelming. I personally felt that year 2 had some better beers. I am betting you tried to sign up for 3 otherwise why are you even in this thread?

floridadrift likes this.
  22. Beerisheaven

Beerisheaven Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2007 Pennsylvania

I tend to agree with assessment that the club members are really hoping for the Hunah variant that becomes trading gold like DBH. I really don't think that any other bottle has been close to DBH as far as interest goes and some of the El Cat bottles from Year 1 had little to zero interest after the fact. Sherry Zuhkov and the Cafe variant were great beers and prob my favorite of the series but let's be real in saying that a ton of people are in for the potential Hunah variants.

If you get a discount from being a member and you are local, isn't that the biggest draw of all?

NoleBeerNoleFun likes this.
  23. Bartos

Bartos Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Florida

I loved Illuminating the Path. Thought it was a truly great beer. Loved the red wine barrel character. Amplitude (not included but offered as a lottery) was F-ing amazing. Probably one of my 5 favorite beers of all time. Good Gourd Almighty is probably my favorite rum barrel aged beer (Rum is by far my least favorite barrel for stouts but worked great with the pumpkin). DBH...don't need to explain further. Grandmule was great. So was Leon, BA Americano, Sherry Zhukov. Thought Beso was good (not great). While I'll be the first to admit that CCB is miles behind Cycle when it comes to the BA beers, it's hard to argue that anyone else available locally is at CCB's level. Short of trading around the country (there are a LOT of great BA beers out there), you're not going to get beers of this quality without standing in line on Black Friday or at a #Cashonly release

jloomis likes this.
  24. TBBAGBIF

TBBAGBIF Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 Georgia

Anyone who paid but didn't get all 4 items, log into elcatadorclub.com and check your cart. I did so this morning and the three missing items (card, glass, Lorem Ipsum) were there and were able to be checked out.

25. Axic10

Axic10 Defender (626) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

I don't have the e-mails from the first edition, but Illuminating the Path was definitely one of 5 included beers, of which members could purchase an additional bottle of.

dtx00 likes this.
  26. lionelhutz23

I thought it was just an extra? Just looked it up you're right.

27. FSUlaw-and-brew

FSUlaw-and-brew Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2015 Florida

didn't get it & was a little mad, popped a Julius & now I'm fine. My whole thing is there's no point in being butt hurt, if you're from Florida and didn't get in I can almost guarantee you either are still going to Huna day or will be seeking bottles.

evilcatfish and NoleBeerNoleFun like this.
  28. Beardaxe

Beardaxe Initiate (33) Sep 29, 2014 Connecticut

Off the top of my head:

Round 1:
    Primary: Forgotten Island, GGA, Don Gavino, ITP, DBH
    Extras: Amplitude, 110k+OT Batch 6

Round 2:
    Primary: Caffe, Beso, Sherry Zhukov, Endless Nameless, Error
    Extras: Grandmule, Leon

I put them into 4 quality tiers:

Great - DBH, Amplitude, Leon, Caffe
    Very Good - Sherry Zhukov, Grandmule, Beso, GGA, 110k+OT B6
    Good - Forgotten Island, ITP, Endless Nameless
    Meh - Don Gavino

I haven't had Error yet.

For me, that's a good enough batting average that I'm a happy camper.

29. NoleBeerNoleFun

Trader

Kind of the point I am trying to make these days to the beer crowd.."be happy with what you have instead of being angry about what you did not get"...although I know that sentiment is becoming rarer and rarer these days

FSUlaw-and-brew and johnyb like this.
  30. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (319) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Pretty much spot on, except you forgot that they gave us a 2014 Huna as an extra for Rd 2

colt3ninja and Beardaxe like this.
  31. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Hallelujah! My sentiments exactly with both these statements.

32. fl_beer_fan

Trader

Cigar City: "hmmmm.. What's the best way to suck, while simultaneously pissing off the locals? I've got it! Online sales! Nothing says 'fuck yourself Tampa' like offering our services to the greater US!"

P.S. - If another local steps in here for a Growler Tuesday release, spear them through the neckbeard!

floridadrift likes this.
  33. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina

I'm still not seeing the Lorem Ipsum bottle available. Surely after a day or so of ironing everything out it will reappear?

floridadrift likes this.
  34. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

They can have all the Habanero Acai IPA they want today. :wink: Refer to the Growler Tuesday thread for complaints of how Tuesday barely has any awesome stout or porter creations anymore. It's mostly that kind of stuff now.

Hamrhdz, Lare453 and Bfairhurst74 like this.
  35. atothesquiz

atothesquiz Initiate (0) May 2, 2011 New York

They've sold El Cat membership online in before (year 1) and hunaphu tickets (2014?). You're butthurt'ness is more than 2 years expired.

floridadrift likes this.
  36. fl_beer_fan

Trader

I've always thought Amputechture was their best album, and De-loused in the Comatorium was pure genius, but I also like Noctourniquet. I never understood why so many people would scream for "The Widow" at concerts, and complain when "Cotopaxi" came on. I mean, aren't these the same kick-ass musicians you loved before? Who wants to play the same song every night?

Tl;Dr - The Mars Volta never cared about what I wanted to hear, they just made the music they wanted to, the way they wanted to

305BEER and miamichael2 like this.
  37. elvisdoc

elvisdoc Aspirant (257) Jul 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

If CCB does online sales for anything, expect a catastrophe. As it was, so shall it be. Over and over and over....:astonished:

floridadrift likes this.
  38. fl_beer_fan

Trader

They're touring again, FWIW. Last time I saw them, Cedric and Omar stood on the opposite side of the stage, and Omar refused to acknowledge the other members. Still rocked my socks off

miamichael2 and floridadrift like this.
  39. MacSon1982

MacSon1982 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2015 Florida

To all our fellow Cigar City Brewing fans,

We're writing you today to apologize. Yesterday evening you joined us in the El Catador Club 3rd Edition online sale. Unfortunately, our system didn't keep up and we let a few of the Cigar City Brewing fans down.

You are receiving this email because you are in that group, people who hoped to make it into the 3rd Edition of the El Catador Club, and got mislead by an error in our system. The error that we experienced during the sale allowed customers to add some of the items from the club, the club card, first beer, and glass, without cost. This ended up leading to you believing you had succeeded in making the club. In reality, the available club memberships sold out almost immediately, in unprecedented fashion. We are sincerely sorry to inform you that your ability to check out without a dollar figure was the result of a system error and you are not in fact in the El Catador Club 3rd Edition.

The team at Cigar City is working diligently to take care of their loyal customers. Stay tuned, as we'll be communicating again shortly and hope to have a better story to share!

From all of the crew at Nexternal, please accept our apologies, and our promise to make sure this issue does not happen again.

Alex Gile, Senior Vice President
    Nexternal, a HighJump Company

40. elvisdoc

elvisdoc Aspirant (257) Jul 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

CCB/Nexternal apologizes. (wet fart sound)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.