El Catador Club - Round 3

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by TampaRainman, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (351) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

The memberships sold out almost immediately, but there I was, 20 minutes later feeding Mr Giles' company my personal and credit card information. What happened to that information, Mr High Jump? Thanks for your apologizes, but before you prepare a future story to share, mislead yourself from a High Jump to a Flying Leap. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I can live without El Cat. It is a tough membership to come by. CCB brews good beer, and I have nothing but respect for the Redner family and their businesses. But they hire incompetent contractors. Please go away.

#321 LADEDA, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  2. TBBAGBIF

TBBAGBIF Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 Georgia

The available club memberships did NOT sell out almost immediately. My transaction for a membership (NOT the card, glass, or bottle, just the membership) was processed at 8:26 PM.

3. Beerisheaven

Beerisheaven Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2007 Pennsylvania

Note to self-if ever in position where Nexternal is a possible vendor, show them the door. Pathetic response describing the process which seems to be contrary to at least a couple of people who said they were successful 20 mins later in the process.

CCB, you brought a knife to a gun fight.

4. fiver29

fiver29 Devotee (400) Sep 18, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Wow. After reading through a couple pages here I feel like I just got done listening to my 9 and 11 year old girls whine about something they couldn't have.

People here would be pissed if:
    • Online sales were done and it worked
    • Online sales were done and it failed
    • Lottery was done and it worked
    • Lottery was done and it failed
    • In person was done
    • You own a bar

5. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (205) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Hopefully you dropped your keyboard and walked off stage after you hit enter. Brilliant synopsis!!

6. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,414) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

My guess is that a Nigerian Prince and a terrorist cell from the punjabi region of India are currently using your personal credit card info to successfully purchase cases of kit kats and plutonium from the Syrian Amazon.

7. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (351) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

Ummmmmm, kit kats.

floridadrift likes this.
  8. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina

I agree with this. I had membership in and out of my cart for over 30 minutes before it finally processed at 8:35.

floridadrift likes this.
  9. imperialking

imperialking Savant (983) Jul 1, 2008 Illinois

So my buddy got through Monday night and purchased a membership (we were planning on splitting it) and just discovered today that they refunded his money. This happen to anyone else? Unbelievable.

10. tanis38

tanis38 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2013 Florida

So he was actually charged and then refunded? Ouch. Talk about a buzz kill. That really sucks.

11. imperialking

imperialking Savant (983) Jul 1, 2008 Illinois

He just spoke to someone and they said he's still in, not sure what happened but we'll see.

tanis38 likes this.
  12. Beerisheaven

Beerisheaven Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2007 Pennsylvania

Amateur hour. Only at this moment in this industry can you run a biz so piss poorly and succeed beyond your wildest imagination. And I am not shining this light just on CCB. How many breweries that do this stuff whether it be clubs, limited releases, etc have a clue? Not too many, the vast majority of them are disasters.

Like The Wizard of Westwood used to say

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

NoleBeerNoleFun likes this.
  13. nmyers462000

nmyers462000 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2013 Florida

While I agree that this was handled in a fashion that was less than optimal, to state that a brewery runs poorly because of a club, bottle release, etc is a bit short sighted. We forget that somewhere in the high 90% range of a breweries business is generally not clubs, bottle releases, etc. Are there exceptions, sure, The Bruery. But the norm is that day-to-day operations at these places is sufficient, and in many cases excellent.

Signed,

Someone that had the El Cat club in his cart at 8:00 pm and could not check out, at all, but still digs CCB

P.S. Great quote!

FLBeerGuy, johnyb, Beer4B and 2 others like this.
  14. TBBAGBIF

TBBAGBIF Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 Georgia

How did he know his money was refunded? Did he get an email or just check his bank statement?

15. Kevinhcraig

Kevinhcraig Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Florida

Heard this note was going out to those who got slighted the other day:

"Yesterday we sent you a note apologizing for the way that the 3rd Edition of El Catador Club release was handled. We explained the issues, the outcome, and mentioned briefly that the folks at Cigar City Brewing were working hard to ensure that you, their fans and customers, were taken care of. I'm writing you today to announce that Cigar City Brewing has guaranteed the first right of refusal to you to join the 4th Edition of El Catador Club, which should be available in the coming months. Once the 4th Edition is ready, we will be sending you an email that grants you access to purchase a membership."

16. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Florida

Yep my buddy just got one.

17. wesbourne

wesbourne Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2013 Florida

Wonder if that means they're increasing the clubs size slightly or the number who got the cart with 0.00 was slight enough that they anticipate it to match up with the normal number of members who don't renew (150-200).

18. Kevinhcraig

Kevinhcraig Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Florida

I'm guessing the latter. I don't think there are than many who actually purchased the 0.00 item which is the only way CCB would have their email address.

swortman25 likes this.
  19. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Florida

Great so now there is basically no chance of getting in if you didn't get that email next time around.

20. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Aspirant (223) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Well, if the anonymous-sources "I heard CCB and AB have finalized a deal" thread next door turns out to be true, all this may be moot anyway ...

Kevinhcraig likes this.
  21. Jshari223

Jshari223 Initiate (187) Nov 13, 2013 Georgia

According to that email round 4 will be announced "in the coming months" sounds like round 3 will be a short round compared to round 2. I would this less people would drop out if it only lasts 6 months or so.

evilcatfish and TBBAGBIF like this.
  22. fl_beer_fan

fl_beer_fan Initiate (85) Jun 9, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Don't these "anonymous sources" rear their heads every year, only to be denied by Wayne and Joey each time?

23. kegnation

kegnation Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2013 Virginia

Wait so when I go to the El Cat page it lets me log in with my email and password, but I haven't received a single email from them. Did I get double screwed?

24. Mangbus

Mangbus Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Florida

once you log in, go to the top and hover over your name, select My Account/reorder option, you should see your El Cat membership order in the Order No. section. If you don't see the order listed as Ready // Paid // $160.50, then you might have an issue.

25. kegnation

Thats the thing it never prompted me for payment, like many others ran into. I just find it weird that it lets you log in from that page but I am not a member of El Cat- or does it let everyone that tried to join log in?

26. mjmcdonough73

mjmcdonough73 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2014 Florida

You registered for an account in their store in order to try and purchase. Your account is still there, even if you didn't get in. That account can be used to order merchandise, etc.

Mangbus and kegnation like this.
  27. Mangbus

Mangbus Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Florida

that is the same log in info / system as the main CCB Online Store. When you go to the store, you shouldn't see the El Cat specific section - which currently only has a 2nd Edition Teku for sale.

TBBAGBIF and kegnation like this.
  28. kegnation

Thats what I kind of figured, but its weird that they keep the El Cat logo on the online store page.

[​IMG]

Mangbus likes this.
  29. Divo93

Divo93 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Florida

I was wondering the same thing.

30. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (205) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

late last year the rumor was that ECC will now only last 6 months or so. Due to the fact they have a pretty robust barrel program at the brewery and they are using BrewHub aswell. Not sure.

#350 FrankenMiller, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Mangbus and dsigmon like this.
  31. GABrew

GABrew Initiate (0) May 5, 2013 Georgia

This is slightly off topic, but I'm going to be in central FL in a couple of months on a family vacation. I've been to the tap room a couple of times, but can't remember the age restrictions. Are kids allowed in the tap room or on the tables just outside the front entrance? I'll have a much easier time convincing the wife to make a slight detour to CCB if she can sit down and have a beer too, rather than having to wait in the car with the kids. This would be a mid-afternoon stop... not talking about bringing kids into the taproom at 10pm or anything. I was one of the fortunate ones to secure a round 3 ECC membership and would really like to pick up my beer(s) while I'm in the area.

32. Bartos

Bartos Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Florida

No age restrictions in regards to children being in the tasting room.

GABrew likes this.
  33. dsigmon

dsigmon Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2007 Florida

Not to take anything away from CCB but if you’ve been there before, I’d highly recommend hitting up Angry Chair and/or Coppertail (assuming you weren’t already doing so).

34. wesbourne

wesbourne Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2013 Florida

Curious, the current emails are coming from the shopping cart supplier vs. the past emails that came through a mass emailer direct from CCB ? Will be curious is any "mis-understandings" happen in the future as a result of this relationship.

Top Left has a 2nd Edition Teku Glass option for El Cat Merchandise.

35. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Aspirant (223) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

I don't disagree with you at all but he mentioned that he wanted to swing by to pick up his El Cat stuff ...

dsigmon and BKnarr like this.
  36. GABrew

GABrew Initiate (0) May 5, 2013 Georgia

I appreciate the recommendations, but I need to stop by CCB by to get my El Cat bottle(s) and I will already be pushing it dragging the family to one beer stop. Not sure if I can get away with two. I'll definitely remember that next time I'm in Tampa on my own though. I tried an Angry Chair German Choc Cupcake Stout as a guest tap at CCB last time I was there... quite good!

dsigmon likes this.
  37. mxracercam

mxracercam Disciple (363) Jan 14, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yet there you are clamoring to get into their club....

What's the name of your beer bar?

305BEER and jloomis like this.
  38. yumbeer

yumbeer Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Florida

The beer is excellent. The way they've dealt with the exponential growth is the problem. Things you wouldn't know as a consumer (other than properly handling web traffic for sales/tickets/etc). It is what it is at this point.

39. mxracercam

mxracercam Disciple (363) Jan 14, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

y u no answer my question?

overall, i'd say they've dealt with growth just fine, outside of the ECC and specialty releases and events. while i do get frustrated with their inability to source a good web provider, i'd say overall it's a very well run business. if they make a mistake, they go way, way out of their way to make it right. but then again, i'm not a salty entitled pub owner. if you're such a big customer of theirs, you'd think you'd have the ear of at least a couple people there. i know if one of my big customers had a gripe, i'd be all ears. :slight_smile:

40. Barhoppin13

Barhoppin13 Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2013 Florida

Yet you feel the need to start a new thread reporting rumors of a deal with AB, then come to this thread and bash CCB for a third parties system failing after 10k+ people flood the servers for 200 memberships? Feel entitled much? @yumbeer

rponder, Vikings1201 and mxracercam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.