El Catador Club - Round 9 - The Collab Edition

Discussion in 'US - South' started by TampaRainman, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,107) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

The last thing I would assume with 7venth Sun is stout...and considering JWB came from CCB, could go the Berliner route too, throwback!

2. odsbodkins

odsbodkins Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2010 Georgia

I agree that 7venth is known for IPAs and sour/brett beers but they have two great imperial stouts in The Klaw and more recently Sugar Britches. Over the years the barrel aged versions and treatments have always been great as well. I guess berliner would make sense for Wakefield as well since that seems to be where they shine best. I like that sour saison they do, Sicker Than Your Average. Drink many of those when I see it.

3. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

This is just my interest in trying to figure out how many allotments are actually in this club and I doubt it means anything, but . . .

If I add 1,700 one bottle memberships to my cart it says “The quantity of the product El Catador Club 9th Edition - 1 or 2 bottle -- Tampa - CCB TR - 1 Bottle Member in your shopping cart (1700) exceeds the quantity currently in stock. Your shopping cart has been amended as appropriate”

If I knock that down to 1,650 that message goes away and it just says, “The ticket allocation of the product El Catador Club 9th Edition - 1 or 2 bottlein your shopping cart is 0 and has been removed.”

I find it hard to believe that 1,650 allotments drooped or they upped production 1,000 allotments.

4. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (218) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

7th Sun has got to be a Sour as that is what they excel at and always have.

I do not think I have ever heard of a BA berliner? With such low ABV to start out with I dont think the beer would make it int he barrel. To easy for infection to happen.

Then again, this is why we have this thread-- for wild speculation and complaining about ECC.

5. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,431) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

There are many ba berliners. Usually wine barrel. Chardonnay ecto is delicious!

6. atothesquiz

atothesquiz Initiate (0) May 2, 2011 New York

One (if not both?) of the foeders in 7venth Sun's seminal tap room are from CCB, I imagine they might use those to make whatever the colab will be (However, I forgot the size of them, so who knows, they might not be big enough to yield 3000+ bottles).

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  7. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (218) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I stand corrected. And i went through my untapped. I in fact have had a few BA berliners.

8. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Meyvn (1,180) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

I'm in! Can't wait to get my Cognac Barrel Aged Zhukov Scoop :slight_smile:

brock125 and Gsulliv2 like this.
  9. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (246) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

was suprised to see it is available now on their website..does this mean they went through their whole waiting list and anyone can sign up?

10. Sabtos

Society Trader

This happened last round, did it not?

11. Joehio

And not selling fast. It let me add 1,585 1 bottle memberships before saying I’ve exceeded the inventory when it was 1,700 a day or two ago. But I’m pretty sure it doesn’t mean anything because I could add 850 2 bottle memberships.

12. colby600

colby600 Crusader (794) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I'm sure they're having trouble finding people willing to spend $35 bottle, especially without knowing what they'll be.

#92 colby600, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    tanis38 likes this.
  13. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (353) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

14. colby600

colby600 Crusader (794) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

15. Thirst_trappist

Trader

I didn't mean to quote you

Error

16. Scottsbeer

Trader

I don't know, I happily spent my money for the potential to get some world class stuff that has never been done before. The list of collaborators is impressive to say the least.

Looking forward to my

Cognac BA Zhukov Scoop
    Last Buffalo in the Hunahpu
    All eyez on 110K+OT

And the other beers I am making up in my head.

Sabtos and brock125 like this.
  17. Scottsbeer

Trader

Maybe I should buy all available so I can list them on MBC and retire.

brock125 likes this.
  18. Sabtos

Society Trader

I may eat my words later and I'll be fine with that, but over the past two years, for the most part, it really seems like CCB has put the obvious and painfully stupid experiments behind them.

19. Lare453

Trader

You’ve just fucked us all... 7 bottles of ba imperial spelt Saisons with cardamom and copper dicks.

20. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (671) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

That's got to be the Wakefield collab given his fine history of beer club releases...

21. Aportolese

Aportolese Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2018 Florida

I just moved to Tampa, on the fence about signing up. Tempting but money is tight at the moment so I may save it for AC, cycle and Garagiste releases

22. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

But if you spend $1,250.00 at Cigar City El Catador pays for itself. That means the bottles are free.
    Sounds like a no-brainer.

23. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (62) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Just one opinion but I would save your money. Long-time Tampa Bay resident here and was a frequent patron of CCB when it was an unknown. The time when you could show up at the tasting room on Sat. and there would be three other people in the whole place, including the bartender. I've also been an El Catador member since round one and this is the first round I'm not renewing.

The beers truly seem more of an afterthought rather than something they're dedicated to. And while each round may have one (when they were five beers) or two (now that they're seven) gems, the majority were mediocre. This "world class" boasting is fan bullshit.

Bottom line, these beers are definitely not worth the cost per bottle. You have no say in what items you get. There are far too many breweries producing superior and more interesting and inventive beers in the Tampa Bay area.

The lack of interest in the memberships is very, very telling.

Just my opinion.

LennyRubio, Aportolese and Lare453 like this.
  24. Thirst_trappist

Trader

Nah. Save for her rest!

Aportolese likes this.
  25. NoleBeerNoleFun

NoleBeerNoleFun Initiate (115) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Trader

Would have agreed with you after Rounds 5 and 6 but Rounds 7 and 8 were great and Round 9 has the potential for greatness and you know Round X will be special...and honestly 35 dollars a bottle for an Old School 25+ Ounce bottle is a decent price as lots of BA 22 OZ Beers are at 30 and 35 Dollar Price Points these days..plus when the gift is another 48 Ounces of Beer instead of another Dust Collector it's actually moved into good deal category..

26. shand

shand Poo-Bah (1,764) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

I've also been going there since the beginning and I sincerely disagree with you. The last two rounds have, overall, been the most solid ones they've done. The lack of interest seems to be more down to lack of trade value than actual quality of the beer.

27. taplebr

taplebr Aspirant (263) Apr 7, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

What good is a beer if it can’t be traded for whales though :slight_smile:

28. Scottsbeer

Trader

I like to drink my beer.

taplebr and MarshallBirdhouse like this.
  29. taplebr

Trader

I agree man. Hopefully you caught my sarcasm. A buddy of mine and I are spitting round 9.... first time we’ve ever signed up and we are stoked.

30. Scottsbeer

Trader

Long drive from Arkansas for beer. I hope the collaborators additional is good. :slight_smile:

31. Sabtos

Society Trader

Your opinion is 100% wrong. Fact.

Seriously though, the entire recent round was excellent, wasn't mad at the previous round too.

A taproom being busier than 3 lonely people by themselves is hardly a sign of bad business or poor quality beers.

Very few breweries are making barleywines and barrel aged stouts the quality of Cigar City, even still today with all the new (overly hyped) competition. I wouldn't even be able to name 4 others that are better.

The beers are definitely worth the price. Worth a hell of a lot more than anything else coming out of Tampa (as long as you're not an after market whore or a razzler).

That said, if you're tight on money, craft beer shouldn't even be on your radar--it ain't cheap no matter which way you slice it.

32. Scottsbeer

Trader

33. Scottsbeer

Trader

That was supposed to say Angry Chair.

34. taplebr

Trader

Fortunately there is a great BAer who is proxying for me (I’ll send a nice TBD beer to him in my next box). If anyone ever has the chance to trade with @thewollfman, do it... the guy is as good as they come.

spersichilli and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  35. Joehio

Just want to add my 2 cents on last round. I haven’t opened Florida style, but I’ve had each of the others and despite not being sexy adjunct beers, common fate and cyclopaedia were phenomenal. It’s funny how the club gets no hype and everyone says it’s overpriced, but common fate was really one of the best barrel aged stouts I’ve had in a while (as was ba caffe americano). Blew the socks off Rare Dos 1 that I had last week at Cycle.

And I’m not generally a fan of barleywine, but that one was like a drinking a caramel apple that had been dipped in marshmallow fluff.

36. Wtc11

Wtc11 Aspirant (205) Sep 8, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Hello All -
    I am looking for a proxy for this El Cat round if anyone out there would consider.

Please shoot me a PM to discuss details. thanks!!!

37. Wtc11

Wtc11 Aspirant (205) Sep 8, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

All set now. Thanks!

38. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (62) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Trader

One, invest in a dictionary. You apparently could benefit from one.

Two, you reek of someone trying to justify overpaying for mediocre beer.

Fact.

rspauldi and Lare453 like this.
  39. Sabtos

Society Trader

It certainly is a fact that my opinion is that your opinion is painfully incorrect...:rofl: Maybe you didn't catch the whiff of irony and sarcasm of my first line, even with the lead of "Seriously though" at the next line, but your attempt to rebut me with the same line is juvenile, especially when your dictionary comment makes entirely no sense. How do ya like that sentence?!

Anyway, I would love for you to name a few breweries that are less mediocre than CCB. Let's really get this party poppin!!! :popcorn:

40. Lare453

Trader

Can you define less mediocre?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.