El Catador Club Year 2

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by SoFla123, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatwaves

heatwaves Aspirant (226) Oct 17, 2009 California
    Trader

So are the actually offering beers during the stress test, or are we suppose to just pretend?

"We want you guys to treat this like it is the rarest, craziest beer in the world."

The Bruery has had a couple of stress tests and they were very successful luring people to pound their keyboards because they released some nice cellared gems. I'm hopeful that CCB will actually have beers for sale rather than a free pint that I may never be able to take advantage of.

2. Nick_isthatstillcool

Nick_isthatstillcool Disciple (301) Apr 28, 2014 Florida

Did you even read the e-mail?

mxracercam likes this.
  3. mxracercam

mxracercam Disciple (368) Jan 14, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

i'm hopeful that you're the only person who didn't bother to read the entire email.

gjoker321 and Zack_B like this.
  4. heatwaves

Trader

Or perhaps I'm just baffled that their idea of a stress test is to pretend that a free pint is the "rarest, craziest beer in the world."

5. mxracercam

Trader

I'm baffled by the fact that two people have busted your chops about not reading the entire email, and you post a reply that shows you still haven't read the entire email!

jmm380 and Bay01 like this.
  6. heatwaves

Trader

The funny thing is that I've read it at least four times and I still feel I must be missing something. Please enlighten me and my lack of reading comprehension.

hey5hitgoose likes this.
  7. Bartos

Bartos Defender (607) Mar 8, 2013 Florida

THE PLAN

1. On Monday, October 13th at 7pm Eastern, log onto your El Catador Club member account page here:
    Member Account Page
    2. Enter your login information.
    3. Under "Additional Products," you will see "Pint for a Penny."
    4. Purchase this item as you would have last time.

We want you guys to treat this like it is the rarest, craziest beer in the world. We want as many users hitting the site and making this purchase at once as possible. If you used multiple computers/browsers/phones/etc to access the website last time, please do it again!

Everyone that completes the purchase will receive a voucher redeemable for a free pint of beer in our tasting room, to be used by you or your trustee.

In addition, everyone that completes the purchase will be entered into a drawing. We will randomly select 10 members to receive a bottle of a Grandmule Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Porter for FREE.

We appreciate your participation and patience, and we are aware that there is a chance that the website could crash again during this stress test. If it does, a free pint will be loaded into every El Catador Club Member account.

To answer you question, they are not actually offering beers for sale, but you will get a free pint of beer in the tasting room (for you or your trustee) in exchange for a few minutes of your time and some clicks of the mouse AND you will have the chance to get a free bottle of Grandmule.

Seems like CCB is really going above and beyond to encourage people to participate and compensate them for their time.​

#607 Bartos, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
    Zack_B and basto like this.
  8. heatwaves

Trader

So the part that you thought I failed to read was the raffle? I didn't mention it because it's even more trivial to drive traffic for a "stress test" than a free pint. Seriously, if CCB would like everyone to push the servers to the limit, they're not going to duplicate the same level of simultaneous traffic with a free pint or a 0.6% chance to win a bottle of Grandmule.

I don't think that people also will wait around patiently if there are glitches thereby reducing the amount of data they'll be able to learn from. Using the only similar example that I can borrow from, The Bruery ran two stress tests and offered things like PiaPT, Papier, and batch 1 Grey Monday. The sale mimicked the same type of instant traffic that they'd have during heavy online sales. The stress tests had issues, but people kept clicking and kept providing data trying to land some of the beers. Will El Cat members keep clicking for an hour for a free pint and a raffle? Or lets say it runs smoothly and is collectively done in 5 minutes. Is it really a stress test if only a smaller amount of El Cat members were trying for the pint/raffle?

JulianC and CaptainFleeker like this.
  9. GatorLCA

GatorLCA Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2012 Florida

Bust out the DB Huna, LiL, 110k b6 for the free Pint if we crash it.... Not snifter... Pint

That'll be a true stress test

#609 GatorLCA, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  10. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (206) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Why are you being such a douchecanoe about it? They don't even have to do this. They could have just said okay lets try this again and run the risk of not being ready. So your going to bitch about it because you cant get anything gauranteed from the test?

Oh, I see you are in Cali and the Bruery does everything better. (Like make infected Beers) Get over yourself and enjoy the fact that you have access to get gauranteed limited CCB beers.

Bartos likes this.
  11. mxracercam

Trader

it's not trivial to me. i support CCB and am happy to help them stress test their servers, even if there wasn't a damn thing being offered.

they are being pro-active and asking for our help. how horrible of them.

12. Bartos

Bartos Defender (607) Mar 8, 2013 Florida

Look...I was trying to be helpful and civil about this. They are giving away free beer in exchange for our help in fixing an issue that affects us (El Catador members). Sorry if that's not good enough for you. I agree with @mxracercam, this is an opportunity for people to do something other than just complain about the fact that things went to shit or about how long it is taking for them to fix it.

basto likes this.
  13. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (671) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I think the issue is whether or not they are going to drive enough traffic to the website with how they have "the deal" structured. That is the argument. I can tell you as a FL person I was clicking away like a Mother Funker (pun intended) during Bruery stress tests because of some of the rare beers they had available. Would I have done it with no incentive? Probably. Just because I generally try and support them. I'll be doing the same for CCB on Monday for the same reason. The question is though how many people will feel the same and will it be a sufficient test of the system?

kpanter, Barhoppin13, JulianC and 6 others like this.
  14. mxracercam

Trader

well, maybe instead of being a negative nancy, he could have tried to rally some people to click their brains out.

no... it's much cooler to complain about it than to help.

basto likes this.
  15. gjoker321

gjoker321 Disciple (375) Dec 26, 2007 Florida

Huh, hoping to find more information about El Catador Club Year 2 when I saw a bunch of updates on this forum. Silly me!

Bartos likes this.
  16. velcrogrip

velcrogrip Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Florida

I think Heatwaves is right. While I will try to do the test... b/c I want this to work... i fear it might not give a real accurate depiction of the actual stress when Grandmule is really released. It is THAT good.

A free pint is great, and they are not obligated to do it. It's nice. But I think that many will not show up for this test and what happens when the server crashes AGAIN b/c they thought this test was enough. I hope it is. I really want this to go well and I'll do my part. But are all the remote people going to do this test so their trustee can get a free pint? I just am not sure the motivation is at the level that can simulate super rare beer that they want it to simulate. That's not douchy. It's just an observation. Let's hope this goes well so we can move on to the real thing.

17. Hopzilla

Hopzilla Initiate (109) Dec 4, 2013 Florida
    Trader

basto likes this.
  18. CaptainFleeker

Trader

Wrong Heatwave(s)(33) my friend. You are having beers with @Heatwave33 tonight. Lol.

Heatwave33 and mxracercam like this.
  19. basto

basto Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 Utah

So what your saying is that getting the stress test done so that we can certify that the problem is fixed so we can actually try to buy the extras everyone has been bitching about is not enough incentive...

Good thing they threw in a free pint and a chance to win a FREE Grandmule...

gjoker321 likes this.
  20. heatwaves

Trader

You might want to look in the mirror, my friend. I never called anyone names, just stated my perspective that it's not actually a stress test unless you create similar conditions of a limited release.

Nice call on bringing up the stale west coast vs. east coast thing. Personally, I'm going to enjoy the great beers that both breweries make, then be honest about the decisions that they make that aren't so great.

21. ari32

ari32 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Georgia

I'm going to take part in the stress test, but couldn't they have hired some company to do a DDoS on their servers? Just keep increasing traffic until they get to a number that crashes their servers. That would have given them the actual information they really wanted. This is just going to give them a ballpark figure, if that.

I'm still down for a free pint and a chance to win a free Grandmule, but I'm with @jivex5k about not putting nearly as much time into it as if it were for the actual bottles. People gotta work, man... Except when TANGIBLE limited beers are on the line. Then work can wait

velcrogrip, JulianC and heatwaves like this.
  22. Hopzilla

Hopzilla Initiate (109) Dec 4, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Sam, you will come to find my sarcasm is drier than a bottle of Cantillion Geuze.

Looking forward to tonight.

23. nmyers462000

nmyers462000 Initiate (115) Oct 1, 2013 Florida
    Trader

If anyone would like to relieve the stress of being an El Catador member b/c of this, I can have a check in the mail this evening to assume the burden. :grinning:

In the event anyone takes me seriously...
    1. You shouldn't...
    2. If you do, be sure to message me and include your e-mail and mailing address to put the agreement in place. :wink:

24. CaptainFleeker

Trader

Ha ha!! I'm slow but I come around.

25. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (356) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

I probably won't be doing the stress test unless I just happen to think of it at the time. Whole system is gonna be fucked when I start clicking away for the real release.

26. GatorLCA

GatorLCA Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2012 Florida

What about those extra Huna bottles from the make up batch? Why not release 300 of them (or whatever is left if it's less) .. That's a better chance of testing the servers when most out of state peeps couldn't get Huna

Just a thought.

27. Barhoppin13

Barhoppin13 Aspirant (231) Oct 6, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I just know I'll be here clicking away to help...the pint and drawing aren't even a factor. I just want to help so the site works when the real bottles go up for sale.

Bartos, ari32, CaptainFleeker and 5 others like this.
  28. basto

basto Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 Utah

Precisely! I guess some people just like to bitch and moan...

Barhoppin13 likes this.
  29. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

@Hopzilla its a simple case of mistaken identity. Will the real Heatwave please stand up!

30. Barhoppin13

Barhoppin13 Aspirant (231) Oct 6, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I just don't get all the hostility towards CCB.
    I look at drinking great beer as a good thing. I enjoy sharing my great beer with good friends and creating great memories. That's what it's all about.

jloomis, basto, nmyers462000 and 2 others like this.
  31. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

I'll be doing the same.

Beerly-Departed likes this.
  32. atothesquiz

atothesquiz Initiate (45) May 2, 2011 New York

Think of it this way. You could try and be more cynical and hope that their website still isn't fixed and crashes after only 100 people successfully log in. Now you have a 10% chance at winning a free bottle.

basto likes this.
  33. CaptainFleeker

Trader

We are going round and round here and I won't comment on this after this post. However, I don't think its cynicism but rather concern. Concern that not enough people will "test" the system on Monday and that when the real bottle sale occurs that traffic will be considerably more than the stress test to the point we could have the same outcome as the first time. I think its likely CCB and Sparxoo have this same concern. Obviously no one wants that outcome. People can get very busy and forget. Lots of people may be at work and won't get around to it. I challenge all of you to take it upon yourself to remind, even harass, our friends not to forget this and make sure we are all online at 7pm. If we do this we've got a real shot at truly testing the system and taking a solid step towards ensuring a successful bottle sale. Let's do this!!!

34. Beer4B

Beer4B Zealot (597) Feb 28, 2014 Florida

Solution: CCB should offer up 1 more El Catador Membership for raffle and everyone (non-El Cat) can enter for 30 minutes as much as they want!

If they can pass THAT stress test, they won't need a server update for a decade.

SS114, joemochas, BlumBeer and 16 others like this.
  35. velcrogrip

velcrogrip Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Florida

That type of raffle might cause MORE stress than the normal sales. Thinking outside the box. Bravo :slight_smile:

Bartos likes this.
  36. heatwaves

Trader

If we traded with each other, the universe would implode. And we'd just receive mirror images of our beer from fedex.

Heatwave33, basto and Beerly-Departed like this.
  37. Lasering

Lasering Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 Florida

Looks like they just upped the ante with a free el cat 3.0!

basto, Zack_B and jivex5k like this.
  38. mxracercam

Trader

yep, which is cool. to bad non-members won't be able to get it though. would be sure to drive the traffic up if they could.

39. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (356) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

I don't know, it's enough that I'll probably try now.

40. Stogies

Stogies Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2012 Florida

Hello. Did I miss anything?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.