Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

El Catador Club

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by gunhaver, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreias21

There would be a much longer line to buy stock lol.

jmm380, Karaoketpa and Tyler1tiger like this.
  2. sendsilk

Beer Trader

Rob, Fuck you and that list of yours! If there is a Vuja De on any of the BA bottles we get I'll sacrifice Geiger in effigy.

3. Connvoy

Beer Trader

I'd assume that rather than making money on investing our cash, this is more about us subsidizing the interest on the already purchased inventory (I.e barrels, ingredients) that they have to store for many months after they purchase (possibly on a line of credit) before selling to us. Or maybe money is being raised for new equipment.

gjoker321 and DaGio like this.
  4. sendsilk

Beer Trader

Okay, let's pretend that CCB actually has a burgeoning, viable, fairly profitable business where their demand FAR exceeds their supply. Lets pretend that people complain online about not being able to get their most basic of products (let's say Jai Alai, for example) on a regular basis, within an hour of the brewery because of the demand. Let's assume that they have expanded their tasting room from the actual brewery floor to an actual tasting room and then again they expand it to 4 times the size within a couple of years of the first expansion. Maybe they even take over the entire industrial complex that they were located in to ramp up production to what, about 5 times the previous capabilities? Maybe they have a strong management team and have also opened 1- an airport brewpub and 2- another brewpub location with an excellent brewer and top shelf Executive chef within 20 minutes of their current location.
    So we'll say that their distributor can't even keep their local environment, let alone the sole state they distribute to, supplied. Lets also say that CCB has 1 day of the year where they have a special event, call it Hunahpus, where the brewery and tasting room alone bring in GROSS sales of about $500,000, aside from their ongoing distribution. And I've done the math and that's about right although there are extra costs involved for additional labor, services, etc. What do you think a couple of giant fermenters cost? Maybe $60 grand each (I really don't know). So that $120k might get them 2 or 3 fermenters? Hmm, doesn't seem like they would do that for the money.
    CCB is well funded and did not do the Catador Club to raise finds for expansion or any such things. They did it to make people happy and loyal and for the FUN of beer, which they like to celebrate with beer geeks like us.

chardlogic, jmm380, solo103 and 7 others like this.
  5. ehammond1

tl:dr but I agree with anything sendsilk said. I'm in CA, can I sign up yet? I have $$$ I need to throw at Cigar City.

StarRaptor and dachshunddude86 like this.
  6. wiltznucs

Sounds about right, don't read me wrong I'm certainly not dissing on CCB. I'm as big a fan as there is. I'm just a B-school grad that looks at CCB not only for their brewing but also how they conduct their business. I marvel on both accounts.

gjoker321 likes this.
  7. Karaoketpa

Beer Trader

Don't forget the included shirt and 10% tasting room discount! :)

8. deezy23

Beer Trader

Thanks to the staff at CCB and fans for a great registration; we drove 7 hours down and waited maybe 15mins in line around 5pm then took it to the tasting room to hang out before heading back home. I'm on 3 hours of sleep and need more coffee, brb.

jmm380, xxcarpxx, cyrushire and 6 others like this.
  9. landhoney

Beer Trader

Signup was done/handled really well, at least from my perspective early in the day. In line at 4:10 or so (number 20 something according to my club card), waited 20 mins or less and they started signup early at 4:30 (get people out of the sun/heat), in my car and out 4:45 or so. Well done CCB, starting a little early to get us out of the heat, very well done. :D

Heatwave33, gjoker321 and wiltznucs like this.
  10. d4nz

Beer Trader

Sounds like everyone had fun Sunday! Awesome job CCB :)

Anyone know how many spots will be available for online sales? It's been so ambiguous, I couldn't make it this weekend and would love to know if it's going to be another 1000 spots or just 10?

11. Heatwave33

Beer Trader

Facebook post from CCB:

Wow yesterday was awesome! It seems sales for El Catador Club went real smoothly for everyone involved. We sold quite a bit, however we do have some remaining to go on sale starting today at 11am in the tasting room. We will keep going for the next 13 days till we reach 1,000 memberships. Once we've hit that target we intend to open up some sales online.

To all of our current El Catador Club members, cheers for the support! Your member cards are now active and can be used for 10% off of all purchases in the tasting room. With regards to t-shirts, we are waiting till we have sold all memberships to order all of the t-shirts at once according to each person's requested size. You will receive updates on when shirts are ready via the email you used to sign up.

As for the beer? Well, we have a few things sitting in barrels right now, and I know Wayne has a few more ideas of his sleeves...

Thanks again guys!

ehammond1, xxcarpxx and solo103 like this.
  12. RayUF07

It would seem ~200 are left. I think it will take far less than 13 days to finish. :)

13. toofdoc

Beer Trader

Who got the highest numnber? I got 775 at about 9:30 last night...

14. RayUF07

Someone posted #806 @ 10:45.

15. solo103

Beer Trader

Had a blast yesterday! Everything was handled great not to mention the awesome BA beers they released in the tasting room. Got to try my first BA Hunahpu (brandy) and it was delicious. Got in line at 5:30 and was done in 30 min #300!

johnyb and jmm380 like this.
  16. dachshunddude86

Last night was awesome. I wasn't able to get off work until 7 so I didn't make it to the brewery until about 8. The wife and I were able to instantly find a parking spot, walk into the brewery, and sign up with no line at all. They really took care of the fans with this one. While we were having drinks I heard one of the people from CCB explaining to their friends why they decided to go to no limit yesterday. They knew they went going to sell 1000 on the first day, but they changed the limit anyway so people wouldn't be worried about missing out. It was a move that was done simply to make us, the fans, feel better. I don't want to name drop who this person was, but it was someone who would have had a big hand in making the decision. Overall I couldn't be happier with how this program is being run. Great job CCB.

Edit: I forgot to give a shout out to coldsnack and ravenacht for sharing some awesome beer as well. Before I even made it to the bar they told me to grab a glass and take some samples of what they had.

17. jmm380

3 hour drive, Brewpub, Brewery, BA Brandy Hunahpu, awesome bottle share, sweat for maybe 20 minutes, #251, 3 hour drive home. :D Happy Happy Happy!

gjoker321 and johnyb like this.
  18. ckossmann88

A+ on this one. No complaints.

19. wiescins

Beer Trader

Anyone know how many are left? I'm literally getting on a plane to Tampa in 10min.

ehammond1 likes this.
  20. velcrogrip

Beer Trader

Got #815 this morning!

21. RayUF07

Great, glad you made it!

velcrogrip likes this.
  22. velcrogrip

Beer Trader

I'm stoked! Got my Rare Dos and Nooner, and a case of Brewer's brunch too! what a day!

Ravenacht, gjoker321 and rsths13 like this.
  23. solo103

Beer Trader

sounds about right!

jmm380 likes this.
  24. Andreias21

I'm pretty sure we just met at the brewpub. I also bought a case, was the guy dressed in business attire.

25. velcrogrip

Beer Trader

Nice to informally meet you. That was me in the USF shirt.

26. RayUF07

What, no yellow Hunahpu shirt???

Andreias21 and velcrogrip like this.
  27. Andreias21

It looked suspicious enough walking back into work with a case of Brewer's. If I had my Huna shirt on, it might have been too much. I make just get it tattooed on my chest to save the trouble.

wiltznucs, Lasering and velcrogrip like this.
  28. wiltznucs

Go Bulls! I give Skip Holtz a lot of credit for introducing me to craft beer. Before he arrived to USF I had very little reason to drink as much as I do...

29. velcrogrip

Beer Trader

Good thing I wasn't actually drinking my Rare DOS or i might have been sending you a bill ;-)
    Completely concur.

30. joshodonn

No clue, but if I were you I'd head straight for the brewery after landing and find out, it's only about 5-10 minutes away.

velcrogrip likes this.
  31. velcrogrip

Beer Trader

I was 815 at 11:15. Very quiet there today but I wouldn't wait (fixed typo)

32. dachshunddude86

If anyone is concerned about destroying their membership card kinkos will laminate it for $1.25 plus tax. Thanks for the idea ravenacht

33. velcrogrip

Beer Trader

Great idea... thanks!

34. ckossmann88

Not a bad idea, might do it myself. Although, other than for novelties, are they truly necessary? I mean wouldn't an ID suffice if it came to it?

35. dachshunddude86

It seems like it will be easier to get your 10% discount by simply flashing a card rather then have them look you up in a computer system. Yes, if you are friends with any of the bar tenders they will know you are a catador member, but lets make life easy on them, they take great care of us.

jmm380 likes this.
  36. baconmcnuggets

Beer Trader

Wouldn't be mad at the port BA 110K I spotted there...

37. wiescins

Beer Trader

38. jmm380

Good to see your flight got ya there in time.

39. ckossmann88

Good point I didn't really think of that.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  40. Heatwave33

Beer Trader

Yeah laminating the card is a great idea. My wife has a laminator and does them for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe