El Catador Club

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by gunhaver, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lefty1881

Lefty1881 Initiate (185) Dec 31, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

I just got an email I'm in.. Aren't I a bit embarrassed.
    Guess this is a second wave of email's after the initial people didn't sign up.

2. RayUF07

RayUF07 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Florida

Yes, it did state it in the blog. I know someone who decided against joining after reading it.

ringhaver likes this.
  3. Andreias21

Andreias21 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2011 Florida

dachshunddude86 and ringhaver like this.
  4. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Alabama

Actually it WAS made clear before sign ups on this blog post that was put up on July 11th:

http://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/index.php?option=com_easyblog&view=entry&id=50&Itemid=37

5. jmm380

jmm380 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

:grinning: So I guess you'll be refusing it eh?

6. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2010 Florida

However, if you trustee is a member then most likely they can buy extra bottles for themselves and the person they trustee for. Not really that difficult. Unless of course they only allow members 1 extra bottle or some shit like that.

velcrogrip likes this.
  7. velcrogrip

velcrogrip Devotee (441) Mar 2, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

which is likely on some releases, depending on the bottle count, no? Some releases, they might make just enough to cover el catador with no extra bottles, some 1 bottle, and some multiple? just guessing.

BigGene likes this.
  8. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (350) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Ah, thanks, I missed that FAQ page. Funny when I asked Cigar City about this they didn't point me to that page.

So not super thrilled that I don't get the same perks as the locals yet I have to pay the same price, but am happy that they have a trustee program and I get my hands on 5 beers. I think it is worth it to try for a year and then I will re-evaluate. I should try to make it down there this year to take advantage of the other perks.

9. Lefty1881

Beer Trader

I'll see what it's all about- I just got my yearly Busch Gardens pass too.

10. gunhaver

gunhaver Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Florida

you get the same perks as the locals. if you come on down to the brewery one day you will be able to do exactly what any local can do.

11. dbelcher5761

dbelcher5761 Initiate (51) Jul 23, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Can you guys do anything without people complaining?

12. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Aspirant (258) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

We didn't get to vote on the t-shirt color :wink:

ufmj likes this.
  13. jomobono

Subscriber Beer Trader

I plan on it!

14. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

I tried and failed. Forgot to put the seat back down.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  15. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (695) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I hear theres a little get together in March you may want to come down for :wink:

16. jomobono

Subscriber Beer Trader

I know, great time of the year too to come from New England. And all the goodies I could bring.

17. Andreias21

Small gathering, intimate setting, romantic bottle share with 10,000+ of your closest friends. Come around and see me sometime.

velcrogrip, xxcarpxx, ufmj and 3 others like this.
  18. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Disciple (385) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Not complaining, but did anyone else at or under an 8:00:02 timestamp not get in? I'm assuming yes, I just am a bit curious how close I was to the cutoff.

19. dachshunddude86

dachshunddude86 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2012 Florida

How nice would a catador only line where you were guaranteed the max amount of bottles be. No more lining up at 5 am

20. Andreias21

This.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  21. HopsJunkiedotcom

HopsJunkiedotcom Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 Florida

Yeah, me. Timestamp, however, doesn't determine routing and/or delays to the Gmail. Le sigh.

22. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Disciple (385) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yep, I sent w/ my phone, so I'm thinking the actual received time was a few seconds after 8:00:02 with me only being on a 3G connection. Oh well. Congrats to those who got in!

23. Arsenal0328

Arsenal0328 Devotee (469) Dec 31, 2010 Missouri
    Beer Trader

YES! Got back from class and I had a nice El Catador invite sitting in my inbox! Thank god for people that decided against entering.

velcrogrip, xxcarpxx, jmm380 and 3 others like this.
  24. Grfilwett

Grfilwett Aspirant (234) May 2, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

My Gmail showed a sent and received of 8:00:03 EST and I haven't received an email. It wasn't meant to be. Maybe next year...

Greenplastic615 and bryanole27 like this.
  25. wsnich

wsnich Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2010 Texas

Both my wife and I shows ours at 8:00:00PM, but she got in, and I didn't. No complaints, but Gmail may have done some weird stuff to handle that large of an influx at one time.

26. TheDoak

TheDoak Aspirant (204) May 6, 2013 Florida

I can attest to this! As an online member I got a 10% discount yesterday at the tasting room on some bottles of Good Gourd.

27. gjoker321

gjoker321 Disciple (357) Dec 26, 2007 Florida
    Beer Trader

This just got real...

fritts211 likes this.
  28. Lefty1881

Beer Trader

My time stamp was 8:00:09 and I just got my email today.

29. CBlake

CBlake Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Ohio

30. roon

roon Initiate (161) Mar 1, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I can only assume that it has something to do with there not being a way to validate someones membership when purchasing online and or no logistical way to make that work currently. This is the only thing that really makes sense, I mean...I can't see CCB having some kind of moral objection to someone from out of state purchasing more beer from them.

31. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Alabama

Yes it was.

32. CBlake

Just seems like that's how every other reserve society works...
    See: crooked stave, bruery...

33. macrosmatic

macrosmatic Poo-Bah (2,015) Mar 9, 2006 Florida
    Beer Trader

I almost posted something about this before when it was brought up, but got distracted. I'm local to CCB, so it makes no difference to me - but the original info sent out was a little light on details about purchasing the extra bottles.

Being able to purchase extra bottles online & having your trustee pick them up is how The Bruery's RS works, so I think people can be forgiven if they thought this was how El Catador would work. Not that the original info said anything about purchasing bottles online either way...

jomobono likes this.
  34. CBlake

Don't get me wrong... I'm happy either way. Just definitely wasn't clear to me if non-locals cannot buy anything but the 5 guaranteed bottles.

35. Tapstout

Tapstout Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

MIME-Version: 1.0
    Received: by 10.60.76.40 with HTTP; Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
    Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:00:01 -0400

To: elcatadorclub@gmail.com

Still no Invite :slight_frown:

36. jloomis

jloomis Disciple (316) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

It always read to me that only members could purchase extra bottles and in person and only within 2 weeks of the release. So even if you have an "on-line" membership if you are here at that time you can purchase extra bottles. I don't think there are going to be that many extra bottles that every member could purchase more, but it is a way to reward local members. Can't fathom why people who don't have easy access to these beers who all of a sudden are guaranteed some of these great beers are getting frustrated by this, you just got 5 awesome beers that many others would happily take. enjoy it for what it is.

jmm380, xxcarpxx, kpanter and 2 others like this.
  37. jomobono

Subscriber Beer Trader

We're just saying it wasn't clear enough. You read it one way, some people read it another way. Obviously they should have been more clearer. Is it a bummer? Yeah. Am I happy that I got selected and getting 5 bottles, you betcha. And we should not be complaining a lot because there are some people here that would love to have our membership.

CBlake likes this.
  38. raczkowski

raczkowski Disciple (324) May 16, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

wasn't the two week window for "non-club beers?" where if you wanted to purchase non-club beers you had 2 weeks to purchase them? I think it said it depended on the yield for purchase of extra club beers. at least this is how I interpreted it.

39. velcrogrip

velcrogrip Devotee (441) Mar 2, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'm sure this club will evolve over time. CCB has shown they listen to feedback and adapt, on the fly sometimes. Its pretty damn good to start. Its only going to get better from here! So glad to be in on the ground floor.

40. roon

roon Initiate (161) Mar 1, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Same, being guaranteed 5 BA beers from a brewery of this caliber as well as having first dibs on the subsequent rounds is amazing. Not sure there is much to complain about. Just give CCB your feedback and hope for the best!

jmm380, velcrogrip and xxcarpxx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.