El Dorado Maris Otter Smash recipe critique

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Prep8611, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Prep8611

Prep8611 Initiate (148) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

[​IMG]
    Mashed at 152. Full volume no sparge. I'm going for a smash pale. How does the hop schedule look.

2. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Champion (893) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

El Dorado + MO SMaSH is an excellent beer!

Are you doing 4oz for just 1 minute or are you doing a hopstand/whirlpool with them? If you're throwing them in at 1 and they're going into the fermenter with the wort as a fermentation hop, NE IPA style, then that's a little different, but otherwise I think adding at 1 minute is a waste of hops...but a 10-20 minute hopstand/whirlpool would be best for a flavor/aroma addition. I just think that 1 minute exposure to boiling wort will barely be enough time to hydrate the hops, much less extract noticeable acids, oils or other volatile compounds. Just my 2 cents.

If you are going for something hoppier more than bitter, which I assume with that big late addition you're looking for a hoppier aroma and flavor, I'd add another oz with the dry hop and extend it out to 5 days. I personally think your 4 oz at the end could be cut to 3 oz and still get practically the same effect and use the other oz for a 2 oz dry hop where it would be noticed more.

If you are wanting a much more traditional Pale, then drop the 4 oz addition at 1 minute all together and go with the rest of the recipe as is.

PortLargo and Prep8611 like this.
  3. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (456) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

El Dorado gives a lot, but 4 oz at one minute is probably not what you want. To expand on what @DrMindbender stated, your late additions typically are to enhance flavor. I wouldn't consider 4 oz at one minute, rather reduce the wort temp to the 180 - 190 range and add 1 or 2 ounces. The idea is to not volatilize your hop oils (that's where the flavor is hidden). You can whirlpool by simply stirring, keeping the hops in contact with the wort. I find 10-20 minutes works so good I sometimes go 20-30. Here you are ignoring hop alpha-acid (only a trace of IBU will be added) but optimizing oil-absorption. Here's a decent read on the subject:
    http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/01/21/late-hop-additions-and-hop-oils-in-beer-brewing/

While more is better, when whirlpooling and dry hopping you reach a limit on how much hop oil can be absorbed. Four ounces of whirpooling will not give you twice as much flavor as two ounces. Same with dh'ing, I'd consider 1 or 2 ounces here.

Also, 13 lbs of MO and an OG of 1.057 seems a little off . . . are we talking 5 gals here?

Tebuken and DrMindbender like this.
  4. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (192) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

What yeast are you planning?

5. Prep8611

I used m10 work horse yeast cause it's what I've been using the last couple batches. Sorry I'm still new to beer smith. I whirpooled those 4 ounces. After I started chilling. My OG turned out at 1050. I chilled overnight in temp controlled chest freezer and pitched my yeast at 60. Pretty good and easy brew day I will update when it's done in two weeks

corbmoster and DrMindbender like this.
  6. Prep8611

Hey guys just to update.... the beer came out fantastic. Very low bitterness but punch you in the face hop flavor and aroma. El dorado is now one of my new favorite hops. Glad I did this smash.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.