Ellensburg Brewing in Ellensburg, WA

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by PapaGoose03, Mar 14, 2023.

1. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I need some help. Has anyone been to this brewery to be able to give me the low down on whether it's a good German-inspired venue that I can add to the spreadsheet that I've been managing? https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/best-german-style-beer-food-venues-in-the-u-s.632830/

It's about 75 miles southeast of Seattle on I-90, but it's not listed here on BA. (They appear to be a maltster, per Facebook, and a cidery too.) The website looks like they mostly focus on German beer styles and food, but I don't want to add them to the list without some positive comments from people in the know (you). https://ellensburgbeerandcider.com/

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Never even heard of it. Iron Horse and Whipsaw are the only two breweries I know about in Eburg.

woemad, VashonGuy and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. PapaGoose03

Pooh-Bah Society

First review on Trip Advisor is January, 2019 so they have at least 4 years behind them. I can't find any hint of when they opened from their website, social media.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  4. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I sent a text to a group of my beer friends, and of the replies I've gotten so far, nobody has heard of it.

5. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Pundit (890) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

As far as I know, it was a beer bar that was going to turn into a brewery and it took a lot longer than expected. But I did hear they started brewing recently….but I could be totally speaking out if my ass.

6. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Their website shows they have their own beers on tap now, so things might have gotten boiling.

7. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I went to graduate school in Ellensburg about 20 years ago now (what the hell, really?) and stop by once a year on the way to Yakima. I had no clue they had a third brewery.

Iron Horse is solid, never been a fan of Whipsaw's beer or their beliefs.

woemad and BBThunderbolt like this.
  8. PapaGoose03

Pooh-Bah Society

The two posts above may indicate that you knew the place as a bar, and if you were a graduate student in town, you probably knew all the bars. :wink:

9. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

The Tav was my department's hangout bar. We were seriously asked to not socialize too much with the locals since we offered counseling services to the undergrads and larger community as part of our graduate program.

10. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Grand Pooh-Bah (3,326) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Ok this is an aside that doesn't have to do with beer but does involve ellensburg WA.

Nick Zentner has a YouTube channel that discusses geology and he's got to be the most enthusiastic geologist in the history of ever. Infectious, the man will make you love the geology of the Pacific Northwest. Highly recommend.

woemad, VashonGuy, vurt and 3 others like this.
  11. PapaGoose03

Pooh-Bah Society

My brother was a geology major, although his entire career was on a county planning commission, and my grandson just graduated with a major in geophysics in mining, and he's a real rock hound (so much so that his car is a rolling rock lab). I'll pass along that link to him. But geology never interested me, so it's not in my genes. Thanks.

woemad likes this.
  12. Reidrover

Reidrover Grand Pooh-Bah (4,622) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I can't get to the actual spreadsheet from the link, so don't know if you have Autobahn 101, in Lincoln City on the Oregon Coast?
    Autobahn 101 | Lincoln City OR | Facebook

Its a small German pub and eatery. Some common German beers and the food is what i would say to be German Pub and home food.

woemad and PapaGoose03 like this.
  13. PapaGoose03

Pooh-Bah Society

I'm going thru a new list of prospects that I discovered but this one isn't on that list. I'll check it out. Thanks for the lead.

14. PapaGoose03

Pooh-Bah Society

I'm at the tail end of vetting the new list that I referenced above, and I've added Autobahn 101 to the 'approved' list. I should get it added to the online spreadsheet within the next week. Thanks for the lead.

sharpski, John_M and Reidrover like this.
  15. woemad

woemad Grand Pooh-Bah (5,145) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They show his 'Nick On The Rocks' shorts on the Spokane PBS station. I often see places I've gone hiking at or near when I watch them.

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.