Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale - Aged For 2 Years. Amazing.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Fear4Beer, Jul 14, 2018 at 5:37 AM.

1. Fear4Beer

Fear4Beer Aspirant (268) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Just leaving this here for people who like to use the search function on these forums (I certainly use them). It seems like I'm the first person to ever age this beer for two years. No one I've seen on this particular sub forum has posted about them aging for that long. I've seen people do it for 1 year.

This beer gets so much better when aged for close to 2 years. The problem that I originally had with this beer was that it had a weird sour note to it when fresh and the mouthfeel was watery. When aged somehow the mouthfeel gets a medium mouthfeel. When I opened the beer carbonation/pressure came out like it was building in the bottle. This beer is so smooth. Loads of pumpkin, pie crust, and pumpkin pie spices. I originally gave this beer a mediocre review but had to re-review it because it becomes a force to be reckon with; with age. One of my favorite pumpkin beers after two years of sitting in the basement! :-)

If this aged beer was a slice of pumpkin pie, you'd say: "Can I have another slice". That's how you know the aging process worked.

2. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (168) Apr 15, 2016 Idaho
    Beer Trader

I too enjoy aged pumpkin beers, to me they are usually to pumpkiny. Aging I've noticed tones it down a bit.

3. rypkr

rypkr Champion (824) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Agreed on pumpkin beers often aging well.