Email: Win $100 and discover beers selected for YOU!

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Bitterbill, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,796) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I got this in my email. Is this legit?

Reason I ask is I tried to do the survey but it won't recognize the favourite beer that I like no matter what I type in.

officerbill likes this.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (5,655) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Yes. It was clearly sent from us as a "Sponsored Email."

And thanks for your feedback. We'll ensure the client gets it.

Bitterbill likes this.
  3. rsuarez1982

rsuarez1982 Devotee (456) May 26, 2015 Texas
    Society

I typed in many, varying beers and none came up. I even tried a more popular brewery and it produced nothing. I gave up. The strong majority of us don't buy our beer from the same place we buy groceries.

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (125) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Trader

I ended up just typing big brewery names and the auto fill came up with stuff. Founder's Breakfast Stout is what i ended up with.
    Also, once you complete the whole thing the "Loading" button on the bottom just froze. 10 minutes later, I just closed out the page.
    Not set up very well.

Bitterbill likes this.
  5. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,465) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I had all the same issues above. Couldnt find a beer. Seemed to be very limited list. Needs to be MUCH more inclusive or have drop down menu.
    Did all the click buttons down to bottom, and hit submit...and...nothing happened.

Failed websurvey that i wont go back to.

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. seakayak

seakayak Defender (652) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

I wasn't sure if BA wanted a detailed discussion here about a sponsor, but since it's up...

It worked fine for me, and I think it's pretty cool! This is a beer-discovery tool that takes your selections for beer and other taste preferences, and predicts a few recommendations that are then linked to an online beer store and a beer-rating database. I imagine many of us have used a tool like this to research products or get suggestions for other items we might like.

I ran through it a half dozen times with different beer and taste preferences, and each time it returned five different beer recommendations that seemed to vary with my choices. Their database is very limited right now, and is noticeably Canada-centric, so that's probably where they originate. I think they are trying to improve and expand it through user input.

I entered Pilsner Urquell, Hoegaarden, and St Bernardus Abt 12, just because they were listed in the drop-down menu. The returned beers were Warsteiner Pils, Sapporo Premium, and several variations of Canadian craft breweries that I've never heard of before.

I think it could work better with a tweak to the survey design so it works for everyone; but it really needs to expand their beer selection database and recommendations. I imagine they can only recommend beers they can obtain for their online store, so I don't see them recommending Tree House or Heady Topper anytime soon.

Bitterbill likes this.