Employees buying up limited releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cactusleon, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Or do a shit job as a manger and needs to be replaced.

FEUO likes this.
  2. FEUO

FEUO Disciple (325) Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Thats pretty much what I was eluding to.

3. Siggy125

Siggy125 Devotee (450) Nov 10, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

if you don't think 12 non-employee customers also know this you are out of your mind! Wait. How the hell do non-employees know this?? Is there a special website... www.insideinfowhenspecialreleasesarriveatyourbottleshop.com that I need to know about? Or are they camping out on the truck dock? Please educate me! I went into a Whole Foods for Sucaba one year and was told it never hit the shelves because employees bought it all when it arrived. C'mon now. I'm a little ignorant but....

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  4. hokiechef

hokiechef Initiate (166) Feb 23, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Lots of ways! They talk to the stores, they read the internet, they call distributors, they follow the trucks, they talk to the brewery, the log into facebook, they read twitter, they camp out, they..... its really not all that hard if you put in even a little effort.

I can't think of a single beer released in my market that I have not been able to get even if its wasn't at my store (we don't get everything).

YogiBeer likes this.
  5. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

the beer store I frequent does this for super limited stuff too, I really like it even though I have not won yet.

6. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,400) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Well, the camping out and chasing trucks is a bit extreme. Some of us have lives. But I've done most of the other things you've listed at one time or another, with similar results.

I think the guy you're responding to is saying that, if store employees buy all of a given beer as soon as it arrives, what's a poor schmuck to do. If that's actually true, I have to agree. If I found out that the employees at my local WFM had snagged every single bottle of a given beer, I'd be calling the store manager and urging everyone in my area to do the same.

7. hokiechef

hokiechef Initiate (166) Feb 23, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Now I will agree with you this is wrong, you can't let employees take everything.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  8. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Initiate (175) Jan 25, 2012 New York

QUIT NOW.

9. beerborn

beerborn Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Georgia

It's been said in ways so I'll echo the call. If the employees are buying everything, the business isn't really losing business...they just have a customer base that also works there. Think about it, the beer gets sold either way for the same price (assuming employee discounts aren't in play I would imagine on limited releases), owner is happy.

I'm sure a good deal of BAs out there claim they leave stores that pull the one over on them, but would return in a heartbeat if they heard ______ limited release was being put on or currently sitting on their shelves.

10. WineWorldMatt

WineWorldMatt Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2011 California

What store was this? Was it Wine World of East Brunswick?

Here when things are very hard to get we usually let the customers get first opportunity. I did not take any Sucks the first or second shipment that we received.

i do recall this happening, where someone asked me for Sucks and when i went to the back i was told that it was being held for ANOTHER CUSTOMER NOT AN EMPLOYEE.

I hope this helps.

At wine world we really try to take good care of our craft beer customers.

YogiBeer likes this.
  11. Siggy125

Siggy125 Devotee (450) Nov 10, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

wow, I must really be behind the times. You damn youngsters :confused:

12. WBD

WBD Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2013 South Carolina

I see both sides but I have to support the shops that allow their employees to get in the same line with the clients. Think about it. If they never taste than how can they become more knowledge?

I have found when you treat people with the respect they deserve then they will treat you right. Get on a first name basis with the folks....that got me hopslam this year. Slide the guy a twenty....it works. Invite them to a cook out and they bring better beer.

Tough sledding these days so treat all with respect.

KevinGordon and PeterJ like this.
  13. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Devotee (489) Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Attitudes like this make me want to come to your bar. Hell, I'd buy a glass for your bartender if he was a good guy. I'm guessing these other guys speaking differently are just part timers and have no stake in the business. Kind of proves the interchangeable thing...

14. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,171) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

The local craft beer store around here allows the employee's to buy as many bottles of a limited release as they want before they're even put on shelves.

Luckily, All of the workers there are 18-20 year old girls who care nothing about beer beyond bud light lime.

15. craft_shannie

craft_shannie Devotee (472) Nov 9, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

that's what i did.

16. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Devotee (489) Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

This is a good post.

For non chain bottle shops, where I've got to know the owner/beer managers I would never just buy the one bottle. With all the choices out there I selected them because of their service, selection and occasional nice limited "want" available. Am I pissed this new wave of young Facebook watchers still in school snatches up the single bottles without buying anything else leaving me dry? A little. There is no perfect formula but a lot of independent stores may have something like 30% does 70% of the business and catering to the pickers isn't good business. Especially if the pickers are part time employees who snatch up 9 of the 12 bottles in a one case allocation. The owner and full timers can have their share, they are the ones who probably built the relationship with the suppliers in the first place.

17. cactusleon

cactusleon Initiate (44) Mar 4, 2006 New Jersey

no, it was not wine world, i dont want to say the name in the thread because its a good store that i will continue to shop at, and its not meat to badmouth them, just wanted opinions on this type of situation

18. WineWorldMatt

Ok, just wanted to make sure because that story sounded familiar.
    You should come check us out. you will not be disappointed by the selection or the customer service.

19. cactusleon

if im ever in the area for work ill stop by, is this the place i havve seen behind the best buy? or near it? or am i way off lol

20. WineWorldMatt

Not that place, but near it.
    We are around a mile south of Best Buy, right next to Dunkin Donuts. We're between Guitar Center and Sleepys.
    682 Route 18 North.

21. cactusleon

i know exactly where it is, ill stop in next time im around

22. WineWorldMatt

Great! We have a nice selection, and get most of the tough-to-find allocated beers.
    Another great plus is that we have a make-your-own 6 pack wall. It's a great way to try new beer! We have a bunch of employees who are really passionate craft beer drinkers so we know our stuff and can give recommendations, and help out.

23. Brokentalontsi

Brokentalontsi Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2012 Texas

My distributor sales a few fairly desirable limited releases, soon to sale the rest of GI, southern tier and FFF... I don't get any preferential treatment at retailers "so to speak" I just happen to know where beer shows up from us and everyone else and have a chance to buy it before others. One of my accounts got 1 case of oak aged espresso yeti and I happened to be there when the truck came in. That account sales 2000+ cases of beer a week...

Ultimately, those of us who work in the beer business are going to get more chances to obtain limited releases than anyone else. We have better relationships with the accounts than just about everyone else... Just the way the world works. If I can help an account get BA Bigfoot, they are more likely to hold a bottle of something for me...

24. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (469) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

I have no problems with employee's getting first dibs on releases. My problem with this is when these limited releases are still "stashed" 6 months after the beer has come and gone. If you can't buy it within a 2 paycheck period, then put the beer on the shelf.

25. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 North Carolina

fair enough. although I wasn't terribly specific, if we just got 1 case of something be it 12 bottles, 4 6-packs or 6 4-packs, I wouldnt do that, because you're right, it would be wrong of me. And I would abide the store policy on something that small and limited. On the other hand if we got a larger stock, say 20-30 cases, I would be more inclined to take an extra

26. jmccullough108

jmccullough108 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Missouri

Simple, as most people have said here, employees should have the same limits as customers. Especially since they have first dibs on it.

27. KevinGordon

Dude something is wrong with you. To say that as a beer lover, I should not be allowed to purchase even one bottle simply because I work there is absurd. Ridiculous. Preposterous.
    That I should not be allowed to enjoy something that I've been waiting for just as long and as patiently as everyone else, only for the reason that I work there is just a fantastic journey of selfishness on your part.
    I would happily buy an extra bottle just to make sure a crybaby like you couldn't have yours

BGrider85 likes this.
  28. KevinGordon

I'm so sorry you're scarred for life cause you had to wait 2 weeks to have your very own Air Jordans. We cant all live in your ideal retail utopia.
    Hey guess what. I love beer. I work at a store that sells beer.
    Therefore.
    I'm going to buy beer.
    Dealing with crazy general public, busting my ass on a daily basis, and dealing with elitist pricks gives me the right to buy a special release when it comes out.
    Go cry about it.

BGrider85 and terrapinfan88 like this.
  29. KevinGordon

completely agree in this instance

30. KevinGordon

I completely agree. In this scenario that is totally wrong. Like I said before... If 12 bottles come in, 11 customers are getting one

31. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,700) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Dealing with the public (crazy or not) busting your ass and dealing with elitist pricks (I.e. the public) seems to be your job duties.
    It certainly entitles you to a pay check. I dont see how it entitles you to anything else.
    If you see your customers as crazy and elitist pigs, I think you should consider a different career path.

32. Northlax3

Northlax3 Initiate (85) Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

MWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

I just bought a case of Nugget Nectar that my store just got in today.

There is never a case limit for customers, though, and we got 10 cases of the stuff.

I honestly would feel bad if i bought all of the beer my store got for a release

33. SammyJaxxxx

Subscriber Beer Trader

Thats not what I said. I said the fact that you jockey a hand truck shouldn't entitle you to purchase limited releases before the customers.

zach60614 likes this.
  34. dglgmut

dglgmut Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I always abide by the bottle limit, maybe ill pick up two if I really wanna age a bottle. But packs are always one. It's just not right to other beer geeks out there. I don't care who calls BS. I hate customers who come in and buy out the shelf, it's just fucked up. I'm a beer geek and I'm very grateful for my position where I know what's coming in.

KevinGordon and YogiBeer like this.
  35. SammyJaxxxx

Subscriber Beer Trader

Enjoy it. NN is my favorite. It should hit my area this Thursday. I am looking forward to picking up a couple of cases.

YogiBeer likes this.
  36. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2009 Virginia

I buy the allocations set for customers and when we pull it off limited quantities sometimes I get more sometimes I don't. The reality is the people who work at these place also love beer. At least in my state all the products are payed for in cash by the bossman before we can sell them, and he can do what he wishes with the goods he purchased. Some store owners allow employees to abuse that and some don't employees should put the customer over themselves MOST of the time. Like I said most of them love beer as well, not only that but you have to have had a beer to sell it effectively to customers. Unfortunately no matter what there policy retailers are under a lot of scrutiny and will NEVER please everyone but, its all a matter of how customers are treated.

If I have a personal six of Hopslam in the back I may give someone a single out of my six pack. Or I may just say we are sold out. Sometimes I decide I'm not gonna have enough money/time to drink what I have on layaway and put it on the shelf.

YogiBeer likes this.
  37. KevinGordon

no, you did say that. You said exactly that. You said exactly those words. I said what happens when 12 bottles come in? You said sell all 12. That employees should not be allowed to buy even one.
    Speaking of elitist pricks..

38. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Indiana

I've seen you and other people put this opinion forth numerous times in this thread. Why do you think that because people work at liquor stores they are uneducated and have a crappy job? I for one am proud to say I'm a beer guy for some stores. Do I make a ton of money? Lord no, but I work hard every day studying my product, getting my store ready and hand selling my product because I want to actually move up in this industry. We are not all peons who just throw boxes around all day. I do appreciate the elitist opinion you and others have had for awhile, but I'm going to keep studying my beer so I can be at the top of something that you only call a hobby.

YogiBeer and KevinGordon like this.
  39. StylzMC

StylzMC Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

An employee is no 'worse' than the guy who refreshes Facebook on delivery day every 3 minutes or calls the place countless times before stuff is released. No worse than the dude who buys cases of a limited release. No worse than the guy who gets his gf and two friends to get him extra allotments because good enough isn't good enough.

Blanco, YogiBeer and KevinGordon like this.
  40. antilite

antilite Initiate (163) Jan 1, 2012 Florida

People who go out to eat are unhappy, but normal? Those who go to bars are abnormal, but happy? My God. I never realized. And what's wrong with an occasional douche? They facilitate my ejections.

zach60614 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe