Enjoy By 2/14/15 - something seriously wrong

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VitisVinifera, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briesch

Briesch Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2014 California

I can see that. I have a buddy who can't eat cilantro on anything or he'll literally start to gag. Even the smallest amount will do it to him. If the beer does have an oniony taste some people may just have a much stronger aversion to it than others.

I personally never tasted onion in Enjoy By until I read reviews that mentioned the taste. Since then I always notice it upon drinking. I think I've been brainwashed by reviews!

TongoRad likes this.
  2. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,989) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The cilantro aversion is genetic, and is definitely a real phenomenon
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/cilantro-aversion-gene-study_n_1901124.html

...but at least that has been subjected to studies. Now we need something conclusive proven about hops; I wonder how one could volunteer to be in such a thing...:slight_smile:

Briesch and FaradayUncaged like this.
  3. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Since this is the only infected bottle known to Stone from this batch, one wonders if the OP has a trench mouth which inoculated the beer with a rotting garbage aroma. We will never know for sure...

4. Mipper

Mipper Aspirant (230) Dec 14, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I wonder if the cilantro issue is similar to the asparagus issue.........the genetics part..........not the result. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you are NOT one of the ones affected. :grinning: I still love asparagus anyway!

TongoRad likes this.
  5. Moose90

Moose90 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

This batch has been just as good as the previous releases, very tasty.

TheBrewo likes this.
  6. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (468) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

I definitely could sell an oniony aroma in 12/26, but I don't think it came through in the taste. I don't smell it in 2/14 though, which I think is better than 12/26.

7. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

We had the pleasure of tasting this two days ago on tap at a local establishment, and it was damn good. Almost up to the high standards we've set from the first time we had it.

Moose90 likes this.
  8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,989) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I thought that happened to everybody.:slight_smile:

jamesgaither likes this.
  9. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

I tried Enjoy By twice and both times it reeked like $400/ounce skunk bud. It put the D in dank. No complaints.

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,564) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Michael.

Sierra Nevada when performing some taste testing of Citra hops found a distinct difference between male and female taste testers:

“Once again, Citra is a poster child for the new. It can be divisive, and that’s likely part of its appeal. When Sierra Nevada began evaluating Citra about five years ago, men on the brewery’s tasting panel described tropical fruit flavors, while women called the same beer catty or said it reminded them of tomato plants. Women on average detect odors at much lower concentrations and are more likely to rate smells as more intense and unpleasant, but many men share an unfavorable perception of Citra.”

Above is from: http://allaboutbeer.com/article/flavor-hops/

Cheers!

TongoRad likes this.
  11. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (328) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

I hate to say that I agree. Something funky is in this brew. Something went wrong.
    It's too bad cause the other ones I've had previousely have been very good.

12. ChrisInBaltimore

ChrisInBaltimore Initiate (51) Aug 25, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Just had a bottle in Baltimore and I thought it was the best EB ever. I have been quite fortunate to have had some really good IPAs in the past few months (Dinner, TH Green & Haze, Fuzzy Baby Ducks, Sip of Sunshine, Trillium (Congress, Ft Point, Mettle) so I was quite pleased to find this so close to home (hell of drive for the last group).

I can say that after my last VT trip in late August and bringing back several cases of Heady (99% Amazing) that we had about 6-8 cans that were not good. My guess is that (for both the Heady and the EB) is that they pulled too much from the bottom of a tank or too just before canning.

13. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

I just had it on draft, and thought it was the best Enjoy By that I've had. I don't remember the aroma so fruity/dank/pungent.

I may have to get another draft tomorrow.

14. Coorsy

Coorsy Defender (684) Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

this was the first of the enjoy by beers ive ever had. I thought it was quite enjoyable. Did not pick up on that garbage smell. I would definitely bring it up to both the retailer as well as stone

15. fureousangel

fureousangel Initiate (0) May 19, 2012 California

Just cracked one. Mine is deliciouso!

16. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,904) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I absolutely agree and I've tried bottles from, literally, all over the country to "test" whether or not the first, or second or third....was simply a bad bottle. I've not said anything to anyone thinking it just happens to be one that I don't like or that isn't "right" for my palate. Bottom line: I agree with you.

17. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (157) Feb 25, 2013 California

I got a response from their QC manager less than 24 hours (on a Sunday) that I emailed them. He's been very friendly. I have a fermentation background so I can communicate pretty well about what I sense and it turns out we are both from the same part of Colorado and have gone west in search of things to ferment. Just gave him the Julian date. If I were him (and I've mentioned this), I'd want to arrange one of my remaining bottles sent over for some micro work.......but we'll see.

18. shanebelcher

shanebelcher Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Mine tasted a tad off too, still drinkable but slight off flavors. I can't really complain much because I drank the whole thing.

19. corby112

corby112 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania

I've had the complete opposite experience. Over the past week and a half I've probably opened five of these(bought at three different stores) and they have all been excellent. One of the best batches so far IMO.

20. Celtics17

Celtics17 Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2013 California

I thought this was much better than the last two Enjoy By batches. It could be an issue with store or the local distributor. Maybe it wasn't properly handled between the two parties.

21. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (501) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

I had this beer for the first time on tap a few days ago and it was delicious. Nothing off about it what-so-ever.

22. Local_Yeti

Local_Yeti Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 New York

I think something is wrong with Stone Brewing in general. I am not the biggest fan of Hop Bombs but I do enjoy some IPA's. But Stone would rather produce arrogantly hop forward beers year round, in multiple variants, rather than something delicious and artesian, like Xocoveza, which is scheduled to never be produced again. Why Greg??? Your team produces some of the most amazing Porters and Stouts and it's like you don't care cause it's not something hoppy.

Moral of story :
    Your IPA's are average. One in a field of thousands.
    Your Porters and stouts are above average. Exceptional. One of one's.

Most IPA's are " enjoy by" style of IPA's. Enjoy By takes it to the extent of naming it a date. Not exceptional.

#102 Local_Yeti, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    1eyed_jack likes this.
  23. nuggetlover

nuggetlover Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Couldn't agree more! I can recall hovering above my glass(es) of Enjoy by 4/20/14 and breathing it in, then having taste / feel that matched. That said, I didn't find the 2/14/15 batch any more or less off putting than any of the subsequent versions.

24. aratcliffe

aratcliffe Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Kansas

Come to think of it, I'd have to say the same for me. In any event, this one was miles beyond whatever the hell was going on with 12.26.

25. Eamonn-Cummings3

Eamonn-Cummings3 Poo-Bah (1,988) Jan 23, 2014 New York
    Society

I had a bottle last night, tasted better than I remember

26. atrocity

atrocity Meyvn (1,431) Dec 18, 2013 Virginia
    Society

Always love it when the brewers take the time to respond here. Cheers Mitch and we can't wait to have you all here in VA soon!

jrnyc likes this.
  27. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (341) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

Loved this batch, if it was slightly "danker" than the last offering that would be the only difference I could taste. Had three bottles already, hope to get more.

28. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,455) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

29. snarygare

snarygare Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Kansas

All this talk.. Im going to pick up a bottle tonight and find out if its good! Im guessing it will be awesome!

30. JackHorzempa

Society

Based upon probability and my personal drinking experiences you have a very high likelihood of success here.

I drank over a half dozen batches of Stone Enjoy By. I have lucked out that I have never had a ‘bad’ batch but there were indeed some batches more pleasing to my palate then others. A recent batch of Enjoy By 12/26/14 was not a favorite of mine but still quite drinkable.

Please report back your impressions of your bottle of Enjoy By.

Cheers!

snarygare likes this.
  31. snarygare

snarygare Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Kansas

Ive had it before Jack.. But yes I'll let you know!

32. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

or better OP.. Has anyone not had a bad beer that you have had before?? That was likely messed up by the distributors mishandling it?

33. Roudy

Roudy Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2009 Georgia

Bought a 32 oz growler of this and transferred it to a plastic liter water bottle. Hiked it into the Red River Gorge for a two night backpack trip. Tasted pretty damn good, but then so did the Edmund Fitzgerald liter that I packed, as did the Fireball and whatever in the hell my nine compatriots passed around the campfire.

34. Wrigfen

Wrigfen Zealot (511) Feb 23, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

I had it on tap in South Carolina this past weekend and today I enjoyed a 22 oz bottle. Both where excellent. My guess is you got a bad batch. Recently, I got a 4 pack of Duvel, one of the finest beers on the market and it was horrible and each bottle exploded. I guess even the best can have something go wrong, whether it be shipping, storing or just a bad lot. Good luck in getting it righted.

35. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (759) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Sorry to get picky Jack but you scolded me for a comment I made in another thread about Sucks being fairly priced and you stated you would never pay $5 for a bomber. Are you finding bombers of Enjoy By for less than that?

36. JackHorzempa

Society

Are you stalking me!?!:grimacing:

With the exception of one bottle (which was a present) all of the Enjoy By beers that I have consumed were draft beers.

Cheers!

37. MasterSki

MasterSki Poo-Bah (6,954) Dec 25, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Moderator Society Trader

I think this is a genetic predisposition to certain hop varietals (Summit, Nelson, etc.). Some people think they smell like onions/garlic/etc. whereas others don't notice it (or do, but don't care). It's kind of like cilantro, for some people it's delicious while others insist it tastes like soap or dirty socks. I personally get a bit of onion from Enjoy By..., but I like it.

38. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (759) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Not stalking, but you seem to post 10 times in every thread so its not hard to miss. I'd hate to do a bottle share with someone who won't pay more than $5 for a bomber but is happy to have their friends bring it.

39. JackHorzempa

Society

It was a birthday present. Are you of the opinion that I should have refused that present?

40. StoneBrewing

StoneBrewing Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 California

Thanks for letting us know! Anytime there's a beer issue, we can pass it along to the rep or Beer Feedback to figure out what's going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.