Enjoy by 9/13/13 coming to MN

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by lonewolfcry, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (474) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Same recipe everytime :slight_smile:

2. PhilistinePhilosophy

PhilistinePhilosophy Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2013 Minnesota

Yeah, sorry guys, I actually picked up 11 in the vertical epic series. I think I'm getting the Stone stuff confused. Sorry, I'm out of my element.

3. drewfull

drewfull Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Minnesota

No worries. Stone's released a TON of bigger beers this year. Most of it's been pretty great, but it gets confusing once you hit 7+ unique-ish brews for the year (ruinten, enjoy, w00tstout, coconut r&r, smoked old guardian, espresso RIS, 17...)!

4. opwog

opwog Defender (663) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

That is a very good question. Each has had variances, but when you are dealing with such fresh ingredients defining your release that is based exclusively on their combined fresh flavor, you can definitely get wide variances from the same recipe.

Hello, almost every batch of Pliny.

5. opwog

BTW, has anybody noticed the drop in average price in this release for MN? I was happy to grab this at F44, for (i think) $7.69. I was so sick of paying $9.99 or 10.99 for every stone special release bomber. People had a lot of bitching to do on here about other people talking about the Stone pricing in MN, but just maybe the issue has gotten in front of the right people; if it is Stone or the distributor, to make some changes. Hopefully this is a sign that we have seen the last of the overpriced $10 Stone bombers in MN.

Mnmaverick and MNBeerGeek like this.
  6. dc55110

dc55110 Aspirant (282) Oct 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

It's still $9+ at most stores. I've hit many stores the past few days and they were all still charging what they were last time around.

7. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Disciple (377) Jul 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

The shops i frequent had it in the 7-8 range. F44 had great prices (7.50 or so i believe)

8. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (547) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

As though I needed more reasons to go to F44...

9. AnalogErik

Beer Trader

They had a scotch guy there that got me so hooked on Edradour Scotch that when I was in scotland i designed my route to stop at the distillery. Ended up buying a 150$ bottle of a 10 year from the 80's, and nearly had it confiscated at customs.

10. opwog

I don't know, maybe old habits being hard to break when the stores are pricing it. If you scroll back through this thread, you can see a couple of different references before mine, that both this and 17th Anniversary are each coming out a couple of dollars cheaper than what Stone bombers have traditionally been. In fact one of them sounds like he may be the beer buyer talking about their cost having dropped.

11. dc55110

Beer Trader

I've been to 10+ stores west of Hwy 100 in the past three days. Not a single store had it for less than $9.49. I'm just pointing out that the change in prices may not be as wide spread as everyone would like to believe.

12. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I didn't seek it out last time, but might pick one up this time around.

13. opwog

Not saying that many stores may not still be pricing them as they normally have, but for the hell of it, I just called my two other regular stops; Liquor Barrel SLP and Four Firkins. Liquor Barrel said that they had both priced at $7.99 and I know for a fact that they always have had all of these at $9.99 before, because that was where I first saw that kind of pricing when I came here from CA and I almost fell over. Unfortunately, Four Firkins is still waiting for delivery. But FF is usually on the high end, so I am not sure what to expect there anyways.

14. dc55110

Beer Trader

You need to remember their are several Stone distributors in Minnesota (Thorpe, Captiol/College City, C&L Distributors). Distribution lines are drawn in very odd ways. I know that when the Firkins moved from their original location at Texa-Tonka, to their current location, their distributors on several popular brands changed. Both locations are in St Louis Park and are barely two miles away.
    I think what we are seeing here are stores pressuring their distributor(s) to have prices more inline with the rest of the country. It would appear that it worked with one (Capitol) and not the other (Thorpe).

maximum12 likes this.
  15. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Zealot (561) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Still $9.99 @ Rum River.
    Haven't priced any more out up in the N/NW suburbs yet, but I imagine it'll be the same.
    Going to pass at that price tag.

16. AnalogErik

Beer Trader

Thats a great take actually, and it would be awesome if they did push back on some of these prices.

I get how margins are fun to have, but the Stone margins were borderline gouging.

17. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

RuinTen was a WasteofTen
    Sorry, came to my mind and I felt compelled.

18. AnalogErik

Beer Trader

It was too acerbic for me. I thought it was more harsh than hop.

19. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Shit was not good. Like a crappier Maharaja.

20. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (474) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

:confused: not just fun but necessary

21. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,451) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Reported (for bringing facts & information to any discussion on this board).

minnesotaryan likes this.
  22. opwog

Here is how I understand it; Stone lists four distributors for MN:

When I mentioned this in a previous thread, somebody pointed out that these are the distributors that make up Original Gravity:
    http://www.original-gravity.com/about/
    Now what OG actually is, is unclear. To me, it looks like an organization that has banded four independent entity into a single entity that negotiates collectively. I am not sure what that means legally for if that then obligates the branches of the entity to price the same or not. But lets go with the assumption that you put forth, that it doesn't and that (at least) one of the four has broken rank with the others. That kind of supports what I have put forth on here before, that multiple distributors were working together to keep the pricing on Stone unnecessarily high. But if that is starting to fracture, people should make mention about this pricing issue to their local shops, so that they can go back and point it out to whoever is their supplier.

While I am not the biggest Stone fan, I did have some beers like IRS that I always would have bottles of, both aging and sitting in the fridge. Since I came here, I have bought just two bottles, each of a limited release and then this 9/13/13 because it was $7.69. In CA, I would have rolled my eyes at $7.69, but in MN, $7.69 represents progress. And it does appear that the drop in cost was exactly $2, because I saw that older thread and it was $9.69 at F44 and it was exactly $2 cheaper retail this time.

23. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,214) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Head east young man

sacrelicio likes this.
  24. sacrelicio

F44 has it for cheap, but a lot of other spots still have it for around 10 bucks.

25. dc55110

Beer Trader

Not actively looking for it, just reporting my findings during normal recon.

26. opwog

Actually, through this thread we have seen that several places have had their costs drop by $2 on 9/13/13 and 17th Anniversary. I am just saying that if anybody frequents one of the stores that has these Stone bombers still in the $9.99, range, that they should be vocal about knowing that at least one of these distributors has finally dropped their cost to get it at least closer to the pricing of the rest of the country. Because one of two things is likely to happen at this point 1) the retailers are either going to pressure the remaining distributers to finally fall in line with how these beers should have always been priced or B) the other member distributors of Original Gravity are going to put the pressure on to have these prices inflated again. It is really in the hands of the consumers at this point. Do they complain to the stores who have these at $10, enough for the stores to go back to their suppliers to pressure them to get their pricing corrected?

27. sacrelicio

Not gonna complain, I'll just go to a store that has it for cheaper.

28. opwog

That works, as well. If the distributor(s) who have dropped their prices see a significant enough uptick in volume, then that does a lot to secure that pricing and put more pressure on the other distributors.

29. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (547) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Well I certainly hope that is the case. I was at the Ale Jail yesterday, their stock already looked surprisingly low. I'm sure they had plenty, but it looks like they were selling well at the new price.

30. opwog

I guess that if anybody wants the scoop, they should probably go to this event and ask somebody who should know:

http://thefourfirkins.com/events/events-detail.php?id=5995

"Join us and welcome our new MN Stone Brewing rep, Corland Egertson, (formerly of Thorpe Distributing)..."

Hmmm...guy works for distributor, then goes to work for brewery and suddenly that distributor's pricing on that brewery drops. I don't think that it is too far of a leap to conclude that somebody with intimate knowledge of how padded these distributors costs have been on Stone, had a shift in priorities to now sell more Stone. And getting them to drop pricing is one of the obvious solutions to sell more Stone.

EDIT: BTW, Four Firkins also has this at $7.99

31. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (377) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I swear Princeton's in Maple Grove had it for less than $9.99. But it's possible I'm just mixing it up with one of the other beers I picked up yesterday.

Mnmaverick likes this.
  32. sacrelicio

Zipp's has it for 10.

33. null

null Initiate (153) May 9, 2010 Minnesota

For those of y'all in the east 'burbs, I just snagged a couple 9.13.13 for $7.29 at Village W&S in Lake Elmo--same price for the 17th, and they'll probably have it for a while considering most of the locals are macrobrew/lite drinkers.

34. AnalogErik

Beer Trader

I had one of my bottles this weekend and thought it was great, FYI.

35. Douggo

Douggo Initiate (96) Oct 24, 2009 Minnesota

$9.99 at the Apple Valley munis.

36. pillzsix

pillzsix Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2008 Minnesota

If the barcode doesn't change, as in the case of Enjoy By, then some stores will not realize a price change until they receive it into their system. I'm assuming this is why there are different prices around town...

37. Mnmaverick

Mnmaverick Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2013 Minnesota

Princeton's had it for $7-something.

38. dc55110

Beer Trader

Chalk one up for the good guys!

39. opwog

I can't believe that I hadn't already thought of this one, given that I have held up Stone as one of the most popular craft brewers who mishandle their barcoding. You are correct, they are the same each time:

http://www.stonebrew.com/salesmaterials/barcodelegend/specialreleases_collabs.pdf

And you are also correct, depending on in what way and how frequently a retailer updates their database, that barcode is going to come up as $9.99. And I believe that the anniversary has had the same barcodes for a while, but I don't think going back to their first. But that would explain why those also have the price drop at some stores and maybe not others. Vertical Epic's, did, as well. But it is tough to say how much the barcode issue is to blame and how much may be that some of these distributors may have kept the inflated margin. It doesn't seem like the barcode issue would be as wide spread, because that would affect the semi-technically proficient stores (given that the higher performers may have regular EDI updates). The really old-school, 100% manual shops should still be pricing direct off invoices and it seem like some of those are still at the $9.99 price point.

40. Douggo

Douggo Initiate (96) Oct 24, 2009 Minnesota

$7.99 at Chicago Lake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.