Enjoyable beers local to you?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by thatbentleyguy, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatbentleyguy

thatbentleyguy Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2012 Massachusetts

Looking for ideas on new breweries to try outside of my area, eventual road trip time!

So what have people been enjoying lately from your perhaps hypeless but good local breweries?

Here's my non-exhaustive sampling that have stood out the last month or so. all within a 20 mile radius here in the beer-bountiful western sticks of Massachusetts.

Brick and Feather - Letters from Zelda IPA (this latest batch has big league potential, but you don't wait in line to get it!)

Bldg 8 - The IPA

People's Pint - oatmeal stout (yet to find a smoother oatmeal stout from MA, neck and neck with Mayflower)

Abandoned Building - nightshade stout (solid, rich roasty brew for winter)

Honest Weight - everything I've tried is gold. Branch Bridge pale ale, and saisons and grisettes (Gate 37, Sunk Pond, Fast Friends) especially stand out to me.

Would love to hear what people have been enjoying from your local nanos, micros, brewpubs- it'll help strategize some road trips to unfamiliar beer areas. Ground rules: unless you live locally to TH or the Vermont destinations etc, don't mention em, there's threads upon threads upon threads for that.

If I venture out today, it will likely be for the new stout from Honest Weight! But if the roads are terrible I'll settle for some Dark Element.

sosbombs, SABERG and rhino88888888 like this.
  2. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (182) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I would add that the DIPA from People's Pint is an excellent sleeper. They change up the hops a lot but always solid.
    Around the 495/90 area I would recommend Cold Harbor Brewing in Westborough and Medusa in Hudson. They are 20 minutes from each other and you pass by Julios to get from one to the other. While you're add it, you might as well hit up JA and their new facility for food and drink. Solid day there.

thatbentleyguy and rhino88888888 like this.
  3. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (129) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Love this thread and love that Nightshade Stout (and I appreciated their barrel aged version, lower ABV than most barreled stouts).

I'll throw a plug in for one of my locals, Cambridge Brewing Company. Their Cerise Cassee is a stellar sour (I believe this years version is still on tap) and the Weekapaug Gruit was a fun change of pace this week.

blisscent and thatbentleyguy like this.
  4. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,339) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I thought the Beer Diviner on the New York/MA border was a very cool spot with solid beers. Way under the radar.

thatbentleyguy likes this.
  5. zeedub

zeedub Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2015 Vermont

@thatbentleyguy, I don't know if it is within 20 miles from 'ya, but Larry from Wachusett is a go-to beer for me (and the place I grew up skiing for added nostalgia points!)

2ellas and rhino88888888 like this.
  6. yarnbomb

yarnbomb Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 Vermont

Two favorite brewery stops for me are Stone Corral Brewing in Richmond and Burlington Beer Company in Williston. Both have stellar brews and a chill vibe. BBCO has games and a fun open brewery setup and Stone Corral has delicious food that pairs well with their beer.

7. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Seconded.

There's not a lot under the radar in the Boston area, but I think the best candidate is Mystic. They get no hype, but they make really interesting beers that do a great job featuring what you can do with yeast and bugs (as opposed to hops and adjuncts).

8. ricknelson

ricknelson Devotee (445) Feb 20, 2010 Vermont

Three recent finds that were amazing.
    #1, River Roost Brewery in White River Junction Vermont which opened Wednesday Feb 3rd. River Roost has three great brews on tap; Miller's daughter, Jack Spat and My Darlin'.
    #2, Four Quarters, "Darkest Heart" which was totally awesome; it tied for 1st place at my recent beer tasting with;
    #3 find Foley Brothers "Prospect" the latest release from them.
    The third member of the three way tie was Lost Abbey's "Deliverance".

jhavs likes this.
  9. yarnbomb

yarnbomb Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 Vermont

Filling in the missing information from my prior post, the specific beers I love from these breweries are Light in the Window and Chasing Rabbits (which has citrus in the mix) from BBCO and Latigo and Saisanja (a hemp saison) from Stone Corral. Honestly I'll take anything I can get from either brewery. I've yet to have a lackluster one from either.

10. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Bog Iron makes some great beers.

Mikeynas, benbking and jbertsch like this.
  11. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (7,046) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

I love Devil's Purse Skatemouth..Amazing pale ale.

pavement714 likes this.
  12. apollokim

apollokim Initiate (108) May 31, 2007 Massachusetts

If you haven't been to New City taproom, go. A lot of folks in the area have no idea they serve beer in addition to their ginger beer. Everything I've tried has been stellar. Actual bar is from Fenway.

13. thatbentleyguy

thatbentleyguy Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2012 Massachusetts

Just walked ten minutes to Lefty's. They're also killing it lately, dark beers like BA coffee imperial stout, another imperial stout (Wedding Daze) on vanilla and cocoa, and a couple very promising IPAs among others!

14. sdonoghue

sdonoghue Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2015 Massachusetts

Honest Weight is awesome

BLDG 8 is awesome

Haven't made it to Brick and Feather yet.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  15. Jmerril77

Jmerril77 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Massachusetts

Brick and Feather is good. Had the Positively 11th St PA and the A Nice Day for a Visit. Both have clean crisp citrus flavors up front with a subtle bitter aftertaste. I think they're on to something at B&F. Haven't tried Honest Weight or BLDG 8 yet..hopefully soon.

16. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (640) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

If we're talking within 20 miles or so, just about anything from Proclamation or Tilted Barn in RI.

mpmcguire11 likes this.
  17. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Mystic is my favorite brewery no one talks about. Some monster wilds in the past few, great saisons, cool " concept" beers, fantastic gruits, baller still beers, nice couple of IPas and killing on the dark beer front. I think once the CBC sours hit the mix the jig will be up on both. When Brett Grisette hits bottles its game over.

messrock, rhino88888888 and blisscent like this.
  18. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

Being in central CT, most of the breweries in the state are within twenty miles or so lol.

There are the more obvious hyped ones like Nebco, Steady habbit, beer'd, OEC etc.

Relic has been putting out some solid beers lately. Double dry hopped huntress(DIPA), Cygnet(All centennial imperial oatmeal amber), Fore(quad aged on rum soaked plums), The witching Hour (Dunkelweizen) and their Nelson Gose have all been great. The current batch of the huntsman (oatmeal stout) is really good too.

Back east has been putting out some nice fruited Berliner Weisses (a black raspberry and tart cherry one so far).

19. carbs

carbs Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2014 Massachusetts

Can't agree with this more. So many great things from both Mystic and CBC this past year. Flor Z and Hay is for Horses in particular were incredible, and Chelsea Common, Smoke in the Valley, and Morning Dew were also really good.

I'll also second Medusa. I really appreciate how many different styles they make. The Activate coffee porter was probably my favorite from them last year, followed closely by Futurist and Citra Legacy.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  20. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,226) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

I recently moved and I'm about 30 minutes (20 miles) from Deciduous Brewing in New Market NH. I really like what they've been doing. They nail the Berliners and Goses. Some of their hoppy offerings are good too.

They just released two variations of a porter in bottles that sound pretty good. One has figs and maple syrup, the other has tayberry and coconut.

21. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

Sad to say, but the Southern VT/NH is pretty dismal right now, but may get better soon. Nothing really to speak about within 20 minutes besides some good craft bars of which the Tap Room at Catamount Glass rates high amongst.

22. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

I liked Fore enough at EBF to figure out if Relic was an easy drive from my house. They're not, but I would stop there is I was passing through CT.

23. jamis

jamis Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts

I second Cold Harbor brewing in Westboro, MA. I've been enjoying their stuff quite a bit lately.

I have pretty mixed feelings about Medusa. Very hit or miss for me (mostly miss).

Wormtown is always a good time, especially in the warmer months when the patio is open.

Honest Weight is on my list of places to try.

24. SiddFinch

SiddFinch Initiate (147) Dec 18, 2013 New Hampshire
    Trader

Stoneface IPA is my go-to local brew here in NH

25. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

Worth it imo, they've been putting out new beers/ re releasing stuff almost every week or so lately. Depending on where you're coming from, you can hit up quite a few solid breweries on the way too.

26. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

Richmond Ri. I'll find a reason to make the drive at some point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.