Espresso KBS

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by DIM, Sep 17, 2019.

1. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,715) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

2. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (400) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

I will definitely go after this too, I love a super coffee-heavy stout and have wondered why more brewers haven't been doing this with the popularity of that precious bean. I am starting to see "hard coffee" out there (they are hardening everything these days). Only issue with these is half my brain says "OK you've had a couple high ABV stouts, time to go to bed" but the other half says "the hell you ain't"

3. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,561) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Not stated in that article is that regular KBS will be available year-round.

nc41, Alefflicted, DIM and 3 others like this.
  4. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (24) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Isn’t it already. Boo yah. Still on sale here

5. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,696) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Awesome. I'll be all over it. I never really considered the fact Founders doesn't really do variants, do they? Maybe a few in the taproom.

Prince_Casual, DIM and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,349) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Espresso is the bean to use in a big ass stout. I never understood why any other roast was used.

7. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Defender (638) Dec 12, 2014 California

Well, that's a way to kill hype and sells. Despite the usual BA talk about KBS turding (what a stupid thing to say) come March and April KBS would be the number 1 beer on untappd, and by far. To the extent that untappd check-ins correlated with beers sold, this is not a very smart decision.

DIM likes this.
  8. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,792) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Hell yes for me! I will be getting it as soon as its available.
    Cheers

9. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (766) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Will try it if I see it but as far as I can tell we didn't get any of the barrel aged sumatra brown. Most places seem to carry the 15 packs around here, I can still find KBS and CBS bombers from the last 2 years, and one place has some singles (double trouble, blushing monk, mas agave, when I looked for the brown the other day) but not a lot of the rest of founders selection around

DIM likes this.
  10. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,080) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

Yes. Will California get barrel aged Sumatra? I’ve also never seen Harvest Ale. Anyway, this thread is about KBS espresso and I cannot wait!

DIM likes this.
  11. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,715) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I remember when Breakfast Stout went year round. Haven't seen it fresh in PA since. IPAs and coffee stouts need to be seasonal around here.

12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,729) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Interesting opening statement; "The first bottled variant of Founders Brewing Co.’s popular Kentucky Breakfast Stout will be shipping to retailers early next year" is to me a hint that we could expect other variants previously taproom-only like Cran Blast, Devil's Cut, or Vanilla Bean. I figured they might come out with variants, but hadn't figured they'd make KBS year-round. I wonder if they'll drop the price of regular KBS to say $16-$17 a four pack to match Central Waters, SMS, and others.

13. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (724) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Will definitely make it a point to track this down. KBS itself and chasing it down ultimately led to me joining the site back in 2014

bbtkd likes this.
  14. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (793) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Total marketing gimmick. Beans used for coffee or espresso are the same beans.

Brent212, ElmerLovejoy and beernuts like this.
  15. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (328) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

But they are roasted differently to get different flavors.

16. IKR

IKR Defender (642) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

They don't have to be. The specialty shops that offer single origin espressos will often use the same roast they use for their other brewing methods. If they're good they'll just use higher extraction temps for their lighter roasts to de-emphasize the acidity.

17. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

I think the difference is in how they are doing this beer. They are making it, then aging, then introducing more coffee at the finish. For me this one sounds awesome because I love coffee and if its going to be a coffee bomb.
    I am sure there is some marketing happening but that is with every beer anymore.

18. hoppytobehere

How so? Espresso is a type of drink that can be made with light, medium or dark roasts.

Brent212, BuffaloBill12 and IKR like this.
  19. MNAle

Society

You know, you are not required to buy it...

Angerhaus likes this.
  20. hoppytobehere

But I am required to share my dumb opinion because this is a discussion forum.

It's just interesting to me that after the KBS hype has died down a little (because it's easy to get) and Founders being bought out by big beer, they decide to slap "Espresso" on the name as a variant to drum up excitement, when in reality it's the same thing as coffee.

21. MNAle

Society

Espresso is a concentrated form of coffee... more of the extracted chemicals and flavors per unit volume. Seems appropriate based on their description of the difference between this and regular KBS (even recognizing there is no such thing as an "espresso bean"). You, of course, are welcome to your cynicism. I like cynicism. I engage in it often.

22. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Well, since they didn't say the beans were different....

DIM likes this.
  23. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Really? Who imposed that requirement on you?

DIM likes this.
  24. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (85) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I'll certainly give it a try, though I personally won't be expecting much of a difference from the base beer.

25. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (331) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Trader

I'm not sure where you are located, but it's been here in San Diego for at least two weeks now.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  26. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (328) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Good to know, I do need to deepen my knowledge of coffee.

IKR likes this.
  27. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (599) Mar 28, 2009 California

The write up does state the following: “According to Founders, the new bottled variant will be aged on additional fresh coffee beans after being removed from barrels to give the coffee flavor “some extra oomph.”

I can assume by “slapping” on espresso Founders is trying to indicate this beer is different and has more coffee flavor than their regular KBS. Maybe they should say double coffee or extra coffee KBS instead of espresso?

Brent212, AlcahueteJ and officerbill like this.
  28. Joe13

Joe13 Initiate (36) Aug 7, 2018 New Jersey

I think this is exactly what it means. They're just introducing it to more coffee giving it that bolder, coffee flavor like an espresso shot would have.
    Espresso beans are the same beans as any other coffee bean to start, but they're roasted longer extracting more water content. Same as dark roast. Except the difference between dark roast and 'espresso' is with espresso you grind the beans to a finer roast allowing you to brew a more concentrated brew. This probably has nothing to do with the beer, and Founders is probably just saying KBS Espresso rather than KBS Dark Roast. Maybe a gimmick, however what beer isn't a total marketing gimmick?

29. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (229) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

KBS (or a variant there of) actually released in an appropriate season of the year. FINALLY!!!

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  30. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Exactly. I think their intent was to convey to the consumer a fuller coffee feel on this beer so they used a common term like Espresso to convey it. Most folks know the word so its a good marketing decision.
    Beans are beans they are just tweaking things to amp this sucker up and I am all in since I love coffee beer, for me its a great release.
    Cheers :beers:

Joe13 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  31. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (229) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

So by that logic every beer that has espresso in the name is a fallacy?

32. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (317) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

My take is Founder's knows their way with coffee beers, and they can call this beer "Mississippi Mud" and I will buy a 4 or 6. If I like it, I will buy more and drink it until the coffee begins to fade, and then I will down it all. Cheers.:slight_smile:

33. Joe13

Joe13 Initiate (36) Aug 7, 2018 New Jersey

They should call it Founders Tweek...

34. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,452) Dec 25, 2003 California

Can't wait to taste it.

35. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Count me in on giving it a go.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  36. SFACRKnight

Trader

Take this silliness to Coffeeadvocate.

GetMeAnIPA and bbtkd like this.
  37. SFACRKnight

Trader

That would get the big C and D

Bitterbill likes this.
  38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Cease and desist, in case anyone doesn't get the reference. If this comes anyways near Tweak from Avery, I would consider that a success.

39. bbtkd

Society Trader

We hereby relieve you of this burden! :wink:

#39 bbtkd, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Junior and drtth like this.
  40. bbtkd

Society Trader

How about Founder's Twerk?

SFACRKnight likes this.