Esquire: Sierra Nevada New Hop Hunter IPA Is Like No Other Beer In Its Class

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by tfischl, Jan 2, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jageraholic

jageraholic Maven (1,378) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thanks man, looks like about an hour away. Hopefully that means its coming soon

2. StoutChaser7D

StoutChaser7D Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2012 California

Just had a couple rounds of Hop Hunter tonight... Has the flavor and aroma of a DIPA with the ABV of a regular IPA. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and am quite pleased it is a year round option. Will be a staple in my fridge for sure.

jakecattleco and HoptimusMax1mus like this.
  3. elshagon

elshagon Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 California

I'm ready for a birthday happy hour brew. Anyone know if Hop Hunter is on tap at Sierra Nevada right now?

edit: I just went to their Facebook page and see it is on tap. I think I know what I'll be doing in a few hours!

chinochino likes this.
  4. elshagon

elshagon Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 California

We had the Hop Hunter on tap at the brewery last night and it was very good, definitely one of my favorite SN beers I've had. I agree with what StoutChaser7D said about the beer. The ABV made it very drinkable, as in I want more!

StoutChaser7D and jakecattleco like this.
  5. surfcaster

surfcaster Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I for one look forward to another year round, affordable quality IPA option.

The sentiment above on a big scale is what scares poor Mr. Magee--he has gotten greedy.

StoutChaser7D likes this.
  6. Keffa

Keffa Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

I actually have an empty bottle. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

7. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

I think it's pretty funny. They don't even realize that they are advertising for Lagunitas for free.

8. Judgie

Judgie Pundit (812) Nov 21, 2012 Indiana
    Society

JLaw55, HoptimusMax1mus and JimKal like this.
  9. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Grabbed a growler of this today, low bitterness, hop profile has just enough grassiness to know it's of the wet hopped persuasion. Solid, solid IPA. Pretty much everything you'd want in an affordable, readily available standard American IPA.

jakecattleco likes this.
  10. Judgie

Judgie Pundit (812) Nov 21, 2012 Indiana
    Society

On tap at a new local brewpub. Pretty amazing, IMO.

11. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

I don't think they'd dare after Lagunitas got shut down within less than 24hr after going after the same beer

12. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

I think that was a joke.

13. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina

Just had a chance to try this on tap yesterday. It's a very solid IPA, but nothing to write home about. It's very, very well-balanced with floral, citrus, and resinous hop characters all present. It's very drinkable and I love the fact that we can have fresh-hopped beers year-round now.

14. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Savant (1,041) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

This is all over the place in Norcal, on tap and in bottles. Super dank.

15. invertalon

invertalon Pooh-Bah (2,065) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Had it on tap last weekend here in Cleveland... Didn't know it was new until I saw this topic.

I really enjoyed it though... 4.5/5 from me!

16. tommcsweeney

tommcsweeney Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2009 California

-
    Ummm...-Sierra Nevada's my brand, it's the beer I choose 9 times outta 10, but... is it me or does this Hop Hunter IPA taste like a Lagunitas to anyone else?

Geuzedad and hoppytobehere like this.
  17. almostjay

almostjay Initiate (0) May 24, 2008 Virginia

Has anyone seen this around Portland yet? I feel ridiculous begging for a SN IPA in the land of awesome IPAs, but I've been dying to try this, and while it seems like places across the country have had it for weeks already, I've seen exactly NONE and we're only 500 miles away from Chico!

18. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Wisconsin

I've not seen it in Wisconsin. If the point is to extract fresh hop oils, I have a feeling it has been and gone.

19. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

It's supposed to be a year-round beer. The fresh hop oils are supposed to retain the fresh hop aroma, etc., so the beer can be brewed at any time. That's the theory/hype, anyway.

InVinoVeritas likes this.
  20. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Why no quart bottles?:slight_smile:

JackHorzempa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.