Ever Bought a Beer Strictly Because You Like the Label Artwork or Packaging?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by I_Like_Beer, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

1. Do you think that the folks who design/make the beer design/apply the labels?

Depends on the brewery, but I would imagine that "some" brewers have influence on the labels (Lagunitas, Sixpoint, ?)
    2. Do you think that there is a connection between a flashy label and a great beer inside?
    No.
    3. Do you believe a beer that doesn't have a label you think is great also will not have a beer you think is great?
    Uh
    4. Are you unaware that this site was started and continues to be a site that easily provides the best information of the quality of beer inside the bottles at the store?
    No, I am not unaware of that.
    5. Do you not care about the quality of the beer if it has an attractive label?
    No
    6. Do you think flashy/artisitic labels are the best way to determine if a beer will be one you like?
    No, however if I am shopping and:
    a. Not having a smart phone whipped out in the aisle to check each and every beers rating
    b. Not having heard of a brewery before
    c. Knowing what style of beer I want and deciding between two similar beers based on price, style, ABV, whatever... what is it that I should go by when choosing between the two?

7. Do you think Westvleteren would be a better, or worse, beer if the monks had to spend money and hire folks to design, apply, and get approval for labels?
    No

2. BeerFMAndy

BeerFMAndy Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 Wisconsin

As a graphic designer I can unequivocally say yes, yes I have. I'll also try any beer once so it usually means that I'm just getting it sooner than later.

Betolito, JuicesFlowing and vurt like this.
  3. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

Too many questions. But...

1. Not always but sometimes. And if not, they pay the people that do which is pretty much the same thing.
    2. No, not really. But I know beer. This is more about the brewery attracting new drinkers. If it is a brewery I am unfamiliar with, it will certainly effect my buying decision.
    3. See above
    4. The site is about all things beer
    5. Ridiculous question. Offensive too
    6. No, but it is certainly a first impression
    7. We all know it would be the same. Not to mention their beer doesn't make it to shelves so that is not a relevant example.

4. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

5. DAShaw

DAShaw Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2014 Ohio

Though, obviously, a label does not make the beer, I defiantly enjoy good beer art work, (have some on my walls). If you like things that are a bit odd, but elegant in their own twisted way, check out the Mexican "Day of The Dead" beers. Cool labels - really good beer.

6. lewisti

lewisti Initiate (58) Nov 7, 2001 Connecticut

They're retired now but I remember trying all of the Lagunitas beers honoring Frank Zappa, We're Only In It For The Money, Lumpy Gravy, Kill Ugly Radio, all good labels and pretty good beer too

7. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

Did the girl who was advertising her label adhesive get mod'd? If so, I hope the folks at 3 Floyds, Pipeworks, Schlafly were able to watch her video first.

8. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

I am guilty of buying beer based on the label alone and have had both good and bad luck with this. I mostly do some research now before chancing it.

FYI do not pass by Maine Beer Co. brews because of their simple, slightly boring labels. They make great beers!

9. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2011 Illinois

Have you ever bought art because the paint tasted good?

Axtimusprime, waston and Hoppsbabo like this.
  10. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

I have not purchased beers due to unappealing label design more times than I could realistically tally.

Snowdog and Biff_Tannen like this.
  11. dcs1548

dcs1548 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Virginia

Not exactly sure why, but when I saw these beers (Smoking Gun, European Blonde, Hollow Point) by The Perfect Crime Brewery they reminded me of James Bond and I picked up one of each. I'm not really a Bond fan either. It was probably the worst impulse purchase I ever made.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/552/86412/

12. MystikCelt

MystikCelt Aspirant (294) Jun 11, 2011 New York

Surly Pentagram. It's like the Necronomicontainer.

13. atomic

atomic Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois

Pipeworks has some awesome bottle art, usually done by Beejay Oslon (hope I got that right), one of their founders. I think I bit the bullet and spent the $12 or something dollars on Blue Lady because the bottle was real nice. Shame the bottle got lost in the move. Maybe its in some box somewhere.

14. Iamstryker

Iamstryker Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 New Jersey

Stone Arrogant Bastard and Rogue Dead Guy Ale started craft for me, and that was mostly all about the labels/name.

15. mjstacker

mjstacker Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Everything Mikeller, fuckers get me every time. Evil Twin isn't much better. That said, shitty labels keep me away, Mayflower, Berkshire, Riverwalk, Lakefront, even Bells? Two-Hearted label sucks. I don't expect everyone to be 3 Flloyds but a little creativetly would't hurt. Even Maine Beer Co.'s plain-ness is great.

16. 1000lbgrizzly

1000lbgrizzly Meyvn (1,103) Jul 16, 2013 Illinois

Has anyone ever bought an 'impulse' beer based on its packaging? Personally, I will buy a random beer if it has inspired/neat packaging, even if I haven't heard of it or the brewery, although I'm turned off by overly flashy/goofy artwork. I even bought a beer once because the professional label made me think it was from a brewery I trusted. Have you ever grabbed a random brew based on the packaging alone, or put one back on the shelf even though you had previously intended to buy it?

17. TooGood

TooGood Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

I buy mix and match sixers all the time. Unique names and labels catch my attention and end up in my pack more often than not. I've found any of my favorite beers that way. Dirty bastard, 400 lb Monkey, Sublimely Self Righteous, Moon Man, Sheep Shaggers, Zombie Monkey to name a few. I'm really a sucker for any beer with bastard in its name, also seem to like any beer with an animal name.....

18. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

That lesson is that mystique and elitist positions work as well as goofy or class art

19. lilsmizzul1225

lilsmizzul1225 Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2012 Indiana

That's how I've come to initially learn about Three Floyds, Sun King, and Founders; all of which I found before I became a Beer Advocate

fredmugs likes this.
  20. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Maine Beer Company's label work alone got me to buy their offerings. They're simplistic and informative (bottled on date, philosophy of the brewery, definition of reason behind the beers name and the ABV). The only things I look for while buying a brew.

21. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

My timeline is a little messed up but I bought a bottle of DFH's Fort for $3 in a grocery cart sale at a hole in the wall liquor store. I only bought it because I recognized Tara McPherson's art on the label. I didn't really like it and my parents thought it was wine. However, thus began my research into DFH, which started with Midas Touch (since it is the most available of the Ancient Ales). Midas Touch still remains my favorite of the Ancient Ales even.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  22. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2012 Nevada

My worst case of getting sucked in by artwork design has to be Midnight Sun's Panty Peeler. The art is solid and the concept funny. The beer on the other hand is mediocre at best. Ah, and I had such high hopes.

Another example would be of a Mikkeller that looked as if drawn by a child- the one were a stick figure is holding a gun. I thought the beer has GOT to be great if they can float a simplistic drawing like that. Wrong again.

23. 1000lbgrizzly

1000lbgrizzly Meyvn (1,103) Jul 16, 2013 Illinois

Funnily enough, I didn't buy one of their beers because of this. The label told me it should be drunk within 90 days of bottling, and the easy-to-read bottling date indicated that it was past its prime. I loved the label though (it is what attracted me in the first place), and figure they did me a solid by saving my money from a stale beer, so I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for a fresh offering from them next time.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  24. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

I avoided Clown Shoes for a long time because of this. Well and most of their beer is mediocre on good days.

I thought Kvasir and Etrusca were much better than every other large format Ancient Ale, but Midas touch is solid. Great flavor, still drinkable.

25. BobbySue22

BobbySue22 Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2012 Oregon

I bought Wasatch Polygamy Porter due in part to the name and the label. I just couldn't pass up a beer that said "Why Have Just One". It didn't hurt that the beer itself was pretty good.

26. -Andrew-

-Andrew- Savant (917) Jul 22, 2013 Michigan
    Society

Label was a factor when I had my first Bear Republic beer (Racer 5). I thought it looked cool and I'd never had it before, so I brought it home, and I ended up loving it.

27. Shroud0fdoom

Get a chance, they're going good things!

1000lbgrizzly likes this.
  28. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Zealot (576) Nov 5, 2008 Maryland
    Trader

Rahsann Roland Kirk Stritch Stout

'cause i'm a fan of the man.

29. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Out of the large formats, I'm not a big fan of Chateau Jiahu, Ta Henket, and Kvasir. However, Theobroma, Sah'tea, and Birra Etrusca Bronze (I have the Amphora version from Birra del Borgo to try soon) are all great too. But for price you can't beat Midas Touch (did they just recently move it to 4-packs or was it always that way?).

30. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

I talked to the guys from AtG and they said these bottles were all tarred and feathered by hand. No fooling!

jzeilinger likes this.
  31. deadonhisfeet

This one definitely got me. I couldn't wait to buy it once I saw the label...

[​IMG]

32. BergBeer

BergBeer Champion (884) Aug 21, 2013 Hawaii

I refused to buy clown shoes for a while because their labels creeped me out.

But yes i think everyone has been swayed by a label before. My personal favorite labels have to be green flash or anchor. Clean, sleek, and elegant.

33. Jirin

Jirin Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

I bought Bitches Brew and Hellhound On My Ale just because I wanted to reward them for referencing Miles Davis and Robert Johnson.

34. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Disciple (335) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

I bought Unibroue Terrible over a couple others because that bottle just looked badass. Unfortunately it didn't end up being my favorite.

I agree with the other posts on Clown Shoes - I hate clowns and think their labels are stupid. I don't buy Boulder Beer because the text they use drives me crazy. Per the reviews though (at least on the stuff I've seen), I'm not missing much.

35. Merle_Allin

Merle_Allin Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 Colorado

My Brother in Law loves Maiden and Craft Beer, so when he saw these at the store he bought two. He tried to drink one last night and said it was awful, so he def fell for the label.

36. deadonhisfeet

I liked it okay, but I can see how someone might not if they don't like English-style Pale Ales.

37. Shroud0fdoom

There was an aftertaste of day old black tea. That didn't set well with me.

38. Axtimusprime

Axtimusprime Initiate (76) May 30, 2013 Massachusetts

I'm a huge fan of the Ken Taylor Sierra Nevada labels. I also tried 21st amendment initially because the art popped to me.

itchytasty likes this.
  39. rdilauro

rdilauro Defender (660) Mar 8, 2010 Connecticut

Working in a package store, with a great selection of craft beers, I would definitely say yes, people purchase beers, wines many times for their labels or names. When someone is looking at a number of different items to purchase, 1) They may not be sure on which to select or 2) Have no idea and base it on the label.

When they approach us, we tell them exactly how it is.. Many times the label is far better than the product is and many times the label does justice as to what is inside. Thats what we are there for.

40. Yagman3000

Yagman3000 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2011 New York

• When I took one look at Shipyard's Smashed Blueberry label, I had to buy it immediately.
    • When I took one sip of Shipyard's Smashed Blueberry beer, I had to find a drain immediately.

BigCheese likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.