Ever change your opinion of a past review?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Brook82, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Brook82

Brook82 Initiate (107) Oct 21, 2018 Ohio

More than once I have changed my opinion of a beer after having another one weeks or months later. I've liked a beer more than initially and gone the other way and found a second sampling not as good as the first. Any other folks experience a change of mind after additional samples of a beer?

2. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,748) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Absolutely, this happened to me many, many times over the years when revisiting beers. Sometimes I’ll go back to amend or change a review but probably not nearly as often as I could (simply due to lack of time, energy or effort).

Palates change! Constantly. There are plenty of beers that impressed me when I was new to this thing of ours. Similarly stuff that was lost on me
    Initially now really appeals.

Ceddd99 and officerbill like this.
  3. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,164) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Definitely... styles that I used not to care for that I love now, realizing that I probably got an off bottle the first time I had it, etc...

4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,669) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Only if you're doing it right :wink:.

TheDoctor, eppCOS, FBarber and 7 others like this.
  5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Just did it last night. I changed only the aroma factor of a beer that I had had a number of times because I finally realized that it was the best aroma that I have ever experienced in any beer. It was minor as far as the numerical calculation is concerned, but the beer deserved it.

dcotom and officerbill like this.
  6. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,769) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

One of the things I enjoy most with local breweries is checking back periodically on beers to see how they've changed. Sometimes the recipe has been tweaked and other times the brewer's skill has increased. When I change a rating I try to include a statement in the review as to how I think the beer has changed.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  7. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister Initiate (31) Jan 13, 2018
    Trader

Yes. I rate on Untappd so I'm not fooled by cans into a second undesirable purchase. However, some beers I rated highly years ago I would prob grade a point or greater lower with my current tastes.

8. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,117) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Yeah, I think it's important to go back and revisit. A hallmark of a great brewery is consistency. If the beers have fallen off, why not update your review?

cjgiant and officerbill like this.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,984) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

All the time but I rarely go back and change my review to reflect my more current thoughts. :slight_frown:

eppCOS and officerbill like this.
  10. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,546) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

My opinion, yes. My rating, exceptionally rarely.

Sure, if you got a bad draught or an infected bottle, that's one thing. Similarly, if your only opportunity at the time was a review of an aged bottle and you later found a much fresher one (or vice versa, in some cases).

Do I still really consider Jai Alai to be one of the best (or tastiest) 30 beers I've ever had, over 2500 reviews in? No, probably not - but I'm not about to change the rating. It reflects a moment in time, both in terms of my palate and the contemporary beer scene. When that beer came out, it may have been the juiciest IPA I'd ever had - while maintaining bitterness and a strong malt profile.

11. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (428) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

I've done it a few times. Usually it's for one of the first beers I tried for a particular style or was written before I knew what that style should taste like.

First time, “WOW this beer is great!” after having others I realize it was average
    “GAA this beer is awful” after further education I realize it is supposed to have those funky flavors.

I've also changed reviews after having fresh versions of the same beer.

12. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,567) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I have a similar opinion - I definitely know that some beers I rated very highly I would not rate that way if I was trying them for the first time now, so I don't go back to specifically change them. But I have done full reviews for beers that initially got a rating and have changed it in those cases.

tobelerone, Bitterbill and Roguer like this.
  13. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Aspirant (258) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina

I haven't been at this long, but I've already changed one review. I had a beer from a can of a local brewery. I thought, "this amongst the worst beers I've ever had." Every one at the table thought the same thing. I knew it could not be that bad. I went to the brewery, tried it on tap, and it wasn't even nearly that bad. I. Changed the rating. I suspect with cans and bottles, and tap beer not served at a brewery, that reevaluations are going to need to happen.
    Especially when I think a beer is terrible.

14. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Meyvn (1,014) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee
    Society

Such a great point. Given that reviewing is a subjective AND relative exercise, coming back to a beer with a new perspective after accumulating more experience with similar beers seems like an important part of the process. That's probably especially true for beers that you think are real standouts.

Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Meyvn (1,184) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

A few times. Like many newbies on BA, one tends to give out ratings that are much higher than the beer deserves. We've gone back and moved the handful of "5's" to more reasonable - but still robust figures. A few times when having a fresh version of a beer rated years ago, we'll freshen up the review but seldom move the ratings more than a step or two.

16. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Savant (939) Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I rarely change a rating. But I sometimes look back through "the list" and wonder what happened with a particular bottle or two. The best example s Noir De Dottignies (De Ranke). It rates a 3.92 on BA. I hammered that thing with a 2.57. I was then and still am a big fan of dark Belgian brews, but I still remember the first time I drank that one, and what a heavy, sticky, sugary mess it seemed like. I've had it since then and think I was too tough on it, but I haven't changed my rating, because it must have seemed too sweet compared to others of the style I was drinking then.

17. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,592) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Of course, However, it generally needs to be a significant difference for me to change a rating or edit the review.

18. beersampler6

beersampler6 Meyvn (1,414) Apr 4, 2018 Michigan
    Society Trader

I agree with others who've said they wouldn't go back and change a rating just because their palates now are so much more advanced and experienced. If a beer really knocked my socks off a while back, but now in comparison to others of the same style it likely wouldn't have rated as highly, I wouldn't necessarily go back and chance it to reflect that. Tastes change, that's OK.

Having said that, if I had a beer that I rated as a stinker and later I had a different batch that was likely more representative of the quality of a beer, then I'll go back and write an addendum. I leave the original review, however.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  19. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (873) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

My view on this is:

A beer rating is done at a point in time, based on the batch you are trying, under the conditions on which it it served with includes, temperature, glassware, handling of the vessle, environmental distractions, condition of your palate, and your experience in rating beer.

In other words your rating acurate for that time and place.

You question your rating, than revisit the beer.

I'm not a big fan of changing ratings because suddenly people feel they are more experienced and wish to judge a beer by memory.

Judging a beer should be a real time experience. Want second chance, revisit the beer.

cjgiant likes this.
  20. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (3,102) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I've revisited beers and changed my opinion plenty of times. Sometimes I'll revise my rating and/or update the review. The exception is that if I cellar a beer and I find it has worsened from fresh, I may add an update about that but won't lower my score, since it was my fault for aging it.

21. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Champion (835) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey
    Society

I have revised a few ratings because I had the beer at the wrong temperature. Mostly stouts, too cold muffles a lot of flavor and nuances.

22. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,943) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I would assume most are not talking about changing their review on memory, but that is an interesting take.

Independent of that, I am a big fan of adjusting your rating and review (or adding to it) based on the beer now. As an advocate, if you think your rating/review is wrong for any reason, including many of those mentioned in this thread, why wouldn't you correct it? How are others to know the flaw you have discovered in your process? Are you sure you are going to remember it if you are considering the beer in the future?

I kind of get the idea of people keeping a review as a purely historic statement. It's a bit of a different way of using the site than I do. I wonder if people would do multiple ratings/reviews if it were offered - for historic purposes.

Brook82 and Sheppard like this.
  23. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (76) Feb 3, 2019 California

Sometimes. I drink a lot of Alvarado Street IPA's, and as an example, Vengeful Barbarian and Countach were just OK the first time I had them, but the subsequent batches were outstanding and my opinions definitely changed.

For some barrel-aged beers, previous batches were better then recent ones. These are more subjective though, because for barrel-aged beers, cellaring and finding the right temp to drink them at plays a part to. You need to let them warm up a bit to truly enjoy them. I've drank some too cold but when warmed up, tasted so much better.

24. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (335) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I sometimes do but I don't really view it as changing my opinion. What I mean is if I rate a stout today and think its a 4.0 then let it sit for six months and think the flavors blend better and give it a 4.5, I almost think of it as a totally different beer. If I have an IPA multiple times in a few weeks then I'd view that as changing my opinion but for the most part its judging the initial time versus trying the same beer with some age on it.

With that said there are a few beers that I get every year when they release and I judge them against each other. BCBS, KBS, most Trillium IPAs, and SoS. It's really interesting because I'm sure my tastes have developed / evolved over the 8 or so years I've been drinking craft beer and the breweries change too so it's hard to say how much is my taste, the brewery, or age on the beer. Cool topic to discuss.

Brook82 likes this.
  25. brewme

brewme Crusader (753) Mar 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Probably not the correct forum, but what is protocol for adding a beer that is a collaboration? How do I decide which brewery to put it under?

26. AWA

AWA Aspirant (276) Jul 22, 2014 California

Absolutely. The question is do I ever actually go back and change. I'm a lazy fuck.

Brook82 likes this.
  27. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,567) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

It should be placed under the brewery where the beer was physically brewed. Also submit an update after you add it to update the Note/Commercial Description to include the collaboration information.

28. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,017) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ve rated beers in the last without a real understanding sometimes. If and when you rate to style you should understand the style, and not rate solely on your palate. These beers correct to style you might just not like, don’t hold that against that beer.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  29. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,305) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Not too often, but I have. I've changed words and numbers.:slight_smile::sunglasses:

Cheers!

30. defunksta

defunksta Defender (681) Jan 18, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

This is an excellent question and I'm not sure there is a right way to answer it. Reviews definitely change over time. I used to edit my review and make a 2nd (or 3rd) review heading. But then it became too confusing so now when I very frequently re-review beers, I edit my previous review and date it so I know at least my last dated review.