Ever drink a beer and not realize the abv?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beernooph, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmorey

Jmorey Aspirant (277) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Pt5 always gets me. I know it is a big stout, and for me it is a nice one and done late on a work day. But every time I remember it is actually 11%, i say "oh yeah...."

sounds like a great realtor, they bought you beer AND there was good stuff in it, really good stuff? Sounds like a winner.

2. costanzo_mike

costanzo_mike Meyvn (1,229) Jul 17, 2014 Massachusetts

Most recently did this with Hi-Res by accident. Pair the fact that it's incredibly smooth with the sleek, unsuspecting can and BOOM you're drunk on a Tuesday night trying to figure out where the last 3 beers went.

3. drmeto

drmeto Poo-Bah (2,045) Jan 29, 2015 Germany
    Society

i had a victory at sea recently,which had no alc feel whatsoever.
    it drank like a normal porter

4. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (211) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Lawson's Fayston Maple Stout...had 4 before I knew what happened

5. RyanGee

RyanGee Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Illinois

Id have to say the Sour Monkey and 1z Enuff have done me in a few times.

6. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,344) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Happened to me about 10 yrs ago with Paper City Brewery's Hop Monster. Bought a 6-pack on the way to a gig in Amherst. No ABV on the bottle, I had no idea it was a 9.5% DIPA. At the end of our set, I couldn't understand why I was so buzzed off 2 beers. Then, I proceded to drink 2 more. Checked the beer's stats on BA the following morning and I had a great explination to my friends as to why I don't remember any of the car ride home! Since that day I always check ABV before buying.

7. marquis

marquis Champion (803) Nov 20, 2005 England

That's the one I wanted to mention.
    I was given a Duvel and thought it tasted pretty well like a typical 4.5% ABV pale beer. Lovely stuff but it certainly doesn't punch its weight in flavour terms.

8. MattyB203

MattyB203 Initiate (180) Apr 20, 2015 Connecticut

"I never tasted the high ABV in a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA" - said no one ever

Lawson's Sip of Sunshine is a smooth drink that you would never know was 8%. Sneaks up on you.

9. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (525) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Funny story. When I first started drifting away from miller lite I got into Spaten Optimator. It took a few weeks before I figured out that the abv was double what I was used to!:confused:

Lucular likes this.
  10. Uncle_Iroh

Uncle_Iroh Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

Ommegang's Blonde. I was not expecting a 9%, that was a fun family dinner.

11. Retroman40

Retroman40 Zealot (527) Dec 7, 2013 Florida

First time I had DFH 90 Minute IPA I was not aware of the 9% ABV - figured it was maybe 6ish. This stuff can sneak up on you; especially on tap and drinking them watching sports and bs'ing with friends.

12. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Heady is the easiest drinking IIPA i have ever had, add in the fact that its in cans and 8% and its a recepie for disaster.

13. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I would guess thats why the original question was did you ever NOT realize the ABV and end up in a bit of trouble.

14. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I'm usually driving for my family, so I can't afford to have this happen to me. My wife on the other hand... shortly after having our first kid she went out for drinks with the girls. She said she had three sweet tasting Sam Adams stouts, but couldn't quite remember what they were called. She was completely trashed. I looked up the beer for her the next morning and found this - quite a night out for someone who hadn't really had any alcohol in nine months.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/105725/

15. DarkerTheBetter

DarkerTheBetter Poo-Bah (1,577) Sep 30, 2005 Minnesota

Last year I thought Mad Elf was around 8% when it's actually 11%. Got a little ahead of the curve that night.

16. BryanP

BryanP Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 North Carolina
    Deactivated

agreed!

17. Xanthras

Xanthras Initiate (92) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

Victory Golden Monkey ..........9.5% that drinks like a summer session beer

classixIII and CFCforlife like this.
  18. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (247) May 11, 2013 Michigan

Kuhnhenn DRIPA-9.5%

Goes down entirely too easy.

TypsiYpsi likes this.
  19. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (134) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

AFC Championship game Pats/Colts, in my buddy's basement bar drinking his homebrewed Heady and Pliny clones like water. Both 8-9% ABV.

I was a bit rough the next day, my wife was ruined. We didn't figure it out until we all asked "what's the ABV on those homebrews again?"

MUTINY likes this.
  20. Rollinghops513

Rollinghops513 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Ohio

The first time I had Matt's burning Rosdis. Holy hell, I totally forgot the ABV when I was putting down the whole growler. UGH!!

21. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,217) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

The first time I had Hopslam (6 or 7 years ago?), I was aware the ABV clocked in at 10%, but I was not aware that drinking 3 bottles in an hour would have me speaking in tongues.

I am aware of that fact now.

22. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Initiate (193) Oct 21, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

same exact thing happened to me. drank a 4 pack while around people who were killing a Budlight case over about an hour or so. BAM-drunk.

23. phillyhops

phillyhops Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 New Jersey

regular coffee is way too easy to drink for its abv.

I had a similar issue with weyerbacher riserva...I feel like sours tend to hide the alcohol pretty well. It could be 11% or 5% and I might not realize the difference at first

Yellolab2010 likes this.
  24. fudsquat

fudsquat Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 Ohio

Narwhal. Had two Nooners beforehand and wanted a nightcap. Had a cold Narwhal in fridge, drank half of it, got up to go get a book and realized it was high octane. Then checked ABV on bottle. Now always keep one cold for when I have trouble sleeping.

25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,484) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

26. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,778) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Enjoy by and tank 7. Enjoy by in no way tastes anywhere close to 9% and tank 7 is just so smooth it is dangerous.

27. Wanda

Wanda Initiate (128) Nov 23, 2006 North Carolina

First Sam Smith Yorkshire Stingo I had was after a few other Christmas beers. I put it down in about 20-30 minutes and noticed I was definitely intoxicated lol. Checked the label....9%. It's been one of my favorite winter beers ever since. (though I think this year something was off because it had a definite twang it's never had before)

28. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (236) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Came here to post this exact same thing. Glad to see I'm not the only one, that beer kicked my ass

29. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,024) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Hop Ranch & Tank 7 come to mind. I think Weyerbacher's Riserva shocked us at its high ABV (11.4%) for a sour. I thought it was around 6-7%.

30. ucmike11

ucmike11 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Connecticut

The first time I had Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, I had two of them at lunch on a Saturday, less than 30 minutes apart. Wow. It really hit me after the second. Had one more beer (Sea Hag) and I was done drinking for the day!

31. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (132) May 28, 2008 Florida

Bombed down 3 Piraat golden ales one time, thinking they were like Duvel. Help! Must stop room from spinning!

32. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

No. I always check the ABV but there are beers that surprise me when the ABV is well hidden.

33. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,361) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

When I was like 22, I went into the liquor store looking to buy a 6-pack. I look in the cooler and go, "Hey, a Sierra Nevada beer I've never had before" ...Bigfoot. I drink one and I'm like "This is really good." I drink a second and I'm like "This is really, really good." On my third I'm like "I'm starting to feel pretty buzzed." I look at the ABV and I'm like "9.5%?!"

34. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,222) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

You would never guess Allagash Avance to be pushing 11%

35. nnoollaannn

nnoollaannn Initiate (0) May 12, 2014 Kentucky

Sitting at a local bar a couple years ago, had already drank a few then decided I would have "one more". Bo & Luke proceeded to kick my ass.

36. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

I cranked back 4 Smuttynose Hayseeds, knowing they were light, but NOT 3.8%. It was a Friday, so needless to say, being a shit week, I switched gears. Great beer though

37. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York
    Deactivated

Last year I picked up a nice haul. Stuffed the fridge. Grabbed front most bottle from fridge: Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail at 13 %
    While later grabbed front most bottle :Christmas Eve at a NYC Hotel Room at 10%. Drank both pretty quick. Felt buzzed, checked labels. Well dang, that explains it

38. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

Honestly, yes...but beer doesn't vary so much that it really makes much difference...and it's not like a smaller mixed drink so I can tell...

39. Hop_God

Hop_God Meyvn (1,031) Sep 29, 2014 California

A few years ago i was in Denver at my brother in law's house making Thanksgiving dinner and he brings me a beer and says hey man this is for you. It was Avery - The Beast. I hadn't had it before at this time and said lets split it. I should have known when he said no man its for you. Normally i would be skeptical of this generous offer but i had just flown with 2 fresh sixers of Zombie Dust for him so i thought he was just returning the favor. Well at about 17-18% in high altitude i'm not accustomed to it hit me like a ton of bricks. Cooking the rest of dinner was quite a challenge after that. I always check now before he gives me anything.

40. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.