Ever self-consciously 'hide' the empties on Trash Day?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NitroGen, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. animal69

animal69 Meyvn (1,123) Sep 21, 2007 Louisiana

nope, roll my giant tote out to recycle every wk full to the brim, not just beer bottles either, plenty wine & liquor bottles as well esp. after band practice.Def. wakes all the neighbors when the guy dumps it tho, lol.

oneeye likes this.
  2. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 North Carolina

I use the beer bottles to cover up all the used needles.. We keep it classy here in BFE.

3. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Aspirant (231) Apr 2, 2011 Tennessee
    Trader

Living in the bible belt, I tend to hide ALL the bottles in my recycling bin. My neighbor, who doesn't drink craft, recycles but chooses to toss the glass and aluminum in along with landfill wate so the neighborhood won't judge.

Funny how these kinda dynamics work.

wr3ck00n and mactrail like this.
  4. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (269) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

My empties go back for the deposit, which I see as kinda like a little piggy bank for beer money. It's really cool when I can pick up beer on deposit money alone.
    As far as self conscious goes, I have embarrassed myself in many ways, but not with empty beer bottles.

qchic likes this.
  5. lucasj82

lucasj82 Zealot (577) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

Nope, to the recycling bin they go without a second thought.

6. carlitos92

carlitos92 Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Texas

Try having an 8-year old son who likes to collect bottlecaps! Lol.

He wanted to take them to school for show-and-tell, and I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Seriously, if his collection grows much larger, I've going to have to add on the the house. :grinning:

DrStiffington and NitroGen like this.
  7. stella77artois

stella77artois Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2010 New York

Why would you care about what someone you don't even know thinks about your beer tastes? Not trying to sound rude, but I can think of an infinite amount of things that are more "important" to worry about.

8. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Meyvn (1,304) Feb 27, 2009 Illinois

I've got this idea about loading a truck up with bottles and getting the deposit money in Michigan. Oh wait, maybe that was a tv show? :wink:

9. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

My local sanitation engineer happens to be a friend of mine. I leave a sixpack of Bud longnecks on top of the trash cart every Christmas for him.

10. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

Not trash day, but I'm getting pretty good at finding ways of hiding the empties from the wife!

11. vthippie

vthippie Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2012 Vermont

I place my Heady Topper cans prominently atop my open air recycle bin, I want everyone to know a few things:

1. I only drink good beer
    2. I make enough money that I don't care about the $.05 redemption on bottles

brownswisscow likes this.
  12. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,268) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Hell, there's nothing I can do about it. My recycle bin is picked up full every two weeks. It's part of my city taxes and it's a great service that I truly appreciate. Seems to me one might waste a lot of time recycling and tossing away bottles and cans worrying about Ms. Marple next door.

13. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Never! Proud of the beers I drink everyday. Who knows? Those empties just might inspire a future BA.

14. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

No, I'm proud of the beer I drink.

15. dianimal

dianimal Aspirant (236) Apr 18, 2012 California

what, nobody else makes the garbage-can-rounds before sunrise to get the dirt on the neighbors?

nickapalooza86 and victory4me like this.
  16. weltywm

weltywm Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

I've never self-conscious. But I am sometimes bemused at the types of empties I'm throwing away, compared to the mountains of BMC empties my neighbors are throwing away.

17. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Disciple (335) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

Not really. I mean, I drink good beer, I can talk to people about it, and I'm not stumbling drunk down to the recycling room with my empties so I think I'm keepin' it fairly classy. Plus I see everyone else's beer/wine/liquor bottles down there so I think it's pretty well known that there are a large number of drinkers in this building.

However when I was in my 20's my wife and I would fill up an entire 60-gallon rolling recycling bin with Coors Light and wine bottles, and I'd have to get it down a couple of steps and the bottles would all clang together and echo throughout the neighborhood on recycling day. Of course back then I was too rock'n'roll to care, anyway.

18. WTKeene

WTKeene Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 New Mexico

For about the first month after I turned 21, I kept one of each empty on a table of mine so I could keep track of what I've tried and what I liked. I had a good 24+ bottles there, I'd say. About 6 weeks afterward I had a date, so I promptly put all of those empties in a paper bag and hid them in the closet. She knew I liked beer, but I didn't like how it looked that I had that many empties.

19. Zone_Fighter

Zone_Fighter Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2013 Michigan
    Deactivated

Right on...although I do cover my shopping cart with a blue tarp when wheeling the empties through the parking lot, and into the store! :slight_smile:

20. 1fJef

1fJef Initiate (0) May 4, 2013 Maryland

Someone needs to run piping to homes like FIOS or Comcast
    Then you can have on demand tap beer without kegs
    or millions of bottles and cans

mactrail and WTKeene like this.
  21. Camjmorton

Camjmorton Disciple (347) Jun 4, 2013 Virginia

Conky, you better frig off...

stpjames likes this.
  22. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (268) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Im more self-conscious about other things like walking to liquor store because I dont wanna get stopped and interrogated by someone I know which has happened before unfortunately.

23. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

haha. good thread with lots of funny comments. as far as beer i I gloat a lil', knowing the garbage collectors feel my swagg. but then we got this new roomate, and he and his friends would fill the whole recylce trashcan with bullshit by tuesday and it stole my thunder. unfortunately we don't have any close neighbors to dump into. fortunately i converted him to craft after time, so i don't have to be emabarrased any more, except during dry weeks.

24. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,484) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

S'been proposed previously - A Beer Pipeline - though I suspect that Hogg and Lutz' patent might have run out by now if someone wants to try it again. :grinning:

25. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,139) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Once in a while, I need to sneak a few empty bottles out of the house, and into the recycling...because I snuck 'em INTO the house as FULLS.:wink:

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  26. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,696) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Nah, I put all my empties in the neighbors cans, so no problem there.

Actually, I live in a apartment complex so theres no way to really tell. Even if there was, i don't think I'd care much.

27. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 5, 2008 Wisconsin
    Society

Don't have a personal bin, since I am an apartment dweller. Just dump em in the community bin, no way to really track whose recyclables they are.

28. RussBeercier

RussBeercier Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2013 Illinois

Our recycle bins are picked up by a mechanized lift and there is a distinct sound made when my bin is emptied. I drink beer with most of my neighbors,so, hopefully, they don't judge. Nothing like the sound of a dozen or so 22oz bottles hitting the bottom of the truck.

29. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I only recycle so I can pile up my empties for the neighbors to see.

Takes a while to get it filled up, but I overfill it so bad the bottles fall out and roll down the driveway while I drag it to the road.

I'd like to think the neighbors around me are jealous...

30. victory4me

victory4me Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

Friend of mine's wife was so embarrassed by all her husband's empties and what the neighbors might think that she bought him a kegerator.

That woman is a keeper.

31. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

no i put them on display and form some kind of beer bottle mountain

wr3ck00n likes this.
  32. fox227

fox227 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 California

I wouldn't care. I keep a row of empties as 'trophies' on top of my bookshelf.

33. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

It's just another form of advocacy...display that shit proudly!

russpowell likes this.
  34. Jirin

Jirin Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

Where I live homeless guys go around collecting bottles from people's recycling on trash day. I wouldn't want to deprive them of their 60 cents!

35. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,560) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Most of mine go back for deposit, and the out-of-state bottles with no deposit get the label stripped for my collection. I usually let these empties collect for a while before doing the label stripping, and then I fill the recycling tub that goes out to the curb. I keep the 12 oz. ones for homebrewing, so all of the ones that go to recycling are the bigger bottles. My house is early in the route and my recycling truck arrives around 6 am so his truck is pretty much empty at that hour, and you'd better believe that those big bottles make a helluva racket when those big bottles hit the steel bottom of the truck bin.

So, no, I'm not self-conscious about the recycling guy thinking that I have a drinking problem, but I am self-conscious that I help wake up the neighborhood earlier than what they want to be awoken (although the trucks are really noisy on their own). And especially so when a holiday week pushes my normal Friday morning pick-up to Saturday morning. Even I hate myself then. :grinning:

36. Belch

Belch Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Kansas

Our curb side recycling won't take glass and I'm sandwiched between teatoddlers and bible thumpers, so occasionally they witness me loading the recycling bin full of beer and wine bottles in the truck. It used to bother me, but I just reflect back on the good times that me and my friends had making all those empties.

I must say though that I'm now a fan of craft beers in can since I can curb side recycle those.

37. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (11,397) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

No ... but in my recycling bags at the alley i always place the rarest empty bottles on top of the heap for the week

38. anglagard1

anglagard1 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2010 Wisconsin

Everyone in the neighborhood is awakened at 5 in the morning on trash day by the sound of my recycling bin being unloaded. I feel kinda bad about that.

39. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Poo-Bah (3,009) Nov 23, 2009 Virginia
    Society

Your grandmother is a very wise woman. To answer our question no and if anyone tries to make me feel bad about it, then I just make more empties.

40. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (487) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Nope. There have been weeks when the entire recycle bin was mostly filled with beer bottles/cans. I don't care what other people might think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.