Evolution of beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Orca, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

A couple other threads got me thinking about this. As some styles have moved toward a much more hop-forward profile, is it possible that going forward we start seeing beers that are essentially cold hop teas with just barely enough malt to hold it together? I have no idea what this would taste like, and of course you'd need some malt and yeast content for it to be considered beer at all - but in such a calorie-conscious society I imagine that a low-ABV, low-calorie, super-hoppy beer* might find a market. Thoughts?

* Should I patent this idea? If so, does this asterisk count?

EDIT: I hasten to add two clarifying points:
    1. Maybe such a beer already exists.
    2. I use the term "evolution" to mean "change over time" rather than "continuous improvement," as some inevitably would view this style of beer as an abomination.

2. BigHeavy

BigHeavy Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2007 Missouri

I would guess it's been tried by a home brewer or commercial brewery and it probably didn't go very well. Otherwise, we'd have heard about it. Just my two cents.

3. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

"cold hop teas with just barely enough malt to hold it together"

You've just described BrewDog's Nanny State.

4. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

Hot damn, I just checked the reviews and you're right. I don't think we get BrewDog beers up here. I'd try it...

5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,303) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Great topic...and timely. It's not a cold tea beer, but I just brewed a single hop IPA that was an attempt at a session beer, not an NA beer, and I came up with a beer that I truly enjoy. (It came in at 3.7% ABV.) I wanted a really bitter IPA so I chose Columbus hops, and I used them for bittering, flavoring, aroma and dry-hopping. If I owned a brewery I'd release this beer.

6. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

Sounds a bit like this one http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20680/77858 from one of my favorite new local breweries. 4% ABV and pretty good. This one is made with Warrior, Chinook, Calypso & Cascade hops.

7. hoplover888

hoplover888 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2010 Illinois

Ive wondered this same concept, and also thought about adding hops to coffee, but I haven't tried it yet...uh oh I'm getting into coffee advocate talk now

8. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (2,010) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sounds like you're describing Mid-Atlantic Pale Ale. High and Mighty do a nice one.

9. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

This beer seems remarkably like the sort of brew which has been appearing in our pubs over the last few years.

10. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Pooh-Bah (1,645) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

I think styles ebb and flow in society much like a lot of things. Ales were overtaken sales wise buy Lagers for much of the 20th century...ales never really went away, the market was overtaken by the popularity of Lager as a style. I think hop forward and IPAs are a huge part of the market but in the last 2 years it seems that most brewers are making an effort to offer an array of styles done very well OR at the very least done in a distinct style to that brewer. Which is great to see either way.

11. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I don't have much to add to the rest of your post, but evolution really doesn't ever imply improvement, in either the general sense or in the "evolution by natural selection" sense. It's a reasonably common misconception that evolution through natural selection implies improvement, but unless you take a very anthropocentric view of things, there's no real "progress" in any sense.

rapidsequence likes this.
  12. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

I agree, although evolution/natural selection does generally indicate adaptation to changing environmental conditions. That's why I used this word, particularly in reference to a style of beer that would appeal to a calorie-conscious, hop-crazy consumer base.

13. corby112

corby112 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania

Beer was intelligently designed.

rapidsequence likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.