Excluding BrewDog, the UK's most expensive beer...?

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by Zimbo, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zimbo

Zimbo Savant (956) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

Since the topic of prices and bottles recently came up in another thread I was wondering what really is the UK's most expensive beer. BrewDog excluded.
    I have my own ideas but I'm keen to hear what other UK BAs think.

2. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,758) Jan 24, 2011 England
    Society

I honestly have no idea though Thornbridge does pop into mind (usuallly worth it though).

3. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (9,649) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

Grabbing my beers either at the pub or off the shelf means I spend between £1-4 on the average pint.

Probably the most I'm shelling out, out of the ale house is for the 750 Meantime bottles.

Not that I wouldn't be willing to part with a little extra cash, just it never seems to be on offer.

Though I saw Moor's Old Freddy Walker for about £8 a pint, though by the time I got to that strength (following the pumps by % upwards) I couldn't even afford a half lmao.

4. marquis

marquis Champion (812) Nov 20, 2005 England

Most I've ever paid was £4 for a pint of Adnam's Tally Ho but that was on the Norfolk coast where they charge near London prices.

5. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

4 pounds - thats nearly standard in london, isn't it? :wink:

6. marquis

marquis Champion (812) Nov 20, 2005 England

Haven't drunk in London since 1971 so I don't know. Last summer though the price in Norfolk for Adnam's ordinary Bitter was generally £3.10 a pint which I thought was outrageous and that was before the latest round of price increases.

7. CwrwAmByth

Society

£2.25 for a pint atm at my local. Unless you want Marston's EPA which is £1.99.

8. Gold89

Gold89 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2010 England

£2.50 a pint in my (not so local) local in S. Wales. And the beer is always perfectly kept. Five constantly changing beers (including Thornbridge, Dark Star, Roosters, Salopian, Skinners, St. Austell, Oakham). And free cheese.

9. ReluctantScooper

ReluctantScooper Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 England

Whoh there. Can we stick to the price of bottled beer, before this degenerates into a "I bought a pint of x for y in z and I think it's excellent / outrageous"? We've been there before.

10. Zimbo

Think the most I've ever paid was a 750ml bottle of Dark Island Reserve. Was something in the range of £12-13. I hummed and hawed over the price for a long long time beforel I finally coughed up the cash.

11. ReluctantScooper

We are talking retail prices, yes? Well, I've paid probably in the region of £15 for 75cl of Lost Abbey or some odd guezes from beermerchants. And they are are currently selling 37.5cl bottles of Lost Abbey Brandy Barrel Angel's Share for £15.95...

12. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat Initiate (0) May 20, 2009 Ireland

All Lost Abbey beer sold over here is a rip-off.

13. ReluctantScooper

Because?

14. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat Initiate (0) May 20, 2009 Ireland

Because they're all derivative of Belgian styles done better, and cheaper, by Belgians.

Apart from Serpent Stout.

15. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (9,649) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

They found the Abbey.

16. paxton1978

paxton1978 Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2008 England

speaking of staying on-topic, I think the request was for UK beers- it's easy to rack up big prices for US beers.

17. paxton1978

paxton1978 Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2008 England

I actually can't think of many non-Brewdog beers that I've bought that were THAT expensive. Probably a 750ml bottle of Marble Decadence at about £14.

18. ReluctantScoop

ReluctantScoop Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 England

OK - for UK-brewed beer it's probably Decadence, which still works out at less than a fiver for a 330ml equivalent. And I know I've never spent more than a fiver on a 330ml UK bottle.

19. CwrwAmByth

Society

Screw it i'm mentioning brewdog. £15.49 for a bottle of "Dog A" off their website. Absolutely horrendous.

20. Zimbo

If we include BrewDog that does seem like a winner especially considering its only a 330ml bottle. Should have known.

21. reprob8

reprob8 Initiate (0) May 22, 2008 England

Sheperd Neame Generation Ale @ £17.50 a bottle?

Nice box though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.