Extended Beer Stats: Your Ratings by Style, State, and Country

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Aug 27, 2018.

1. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,280) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thanks! Finally, problem solved: it seems that Maui Brewing Co. is not being counted as Hawaii? Is this intentional?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16057/37795/

Todd likes this.
  2. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (2,818) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Love the new feature!! This is why (one of many reasons) BA is the best. I really love diving into my stats. I am a beer geek after all!

3. Todd

Todd Founder (5,569) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

It's an old master and being excluded as a result. I think I'll work on including everything until we apply a new solution for beers listed under multiple locations. Updates to follow...

cbcrunch, FBarber and cryptichead like this.
  4. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,280) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thanks! Appreciate the responsiveness.

Todd likes this.
  5. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,545) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Even more than I expected - some simple numbers would've been a nice start, and I think this goes a step or two further with the apparently working sorting and paging. I also like that there is possibly more stats geeky in the future. Thanks, Todd!

Todd likes this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,582) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yabba dabba dooo!
    Thanks!

Sludgeman and Todd like this.
  7. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,251) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Thoroughly incredible, thanks!

JLaw55 and Todd like this.
  8. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,135) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

The count for states seems to be off by one now - it shows me as having 50 states but still missing 2 (Arkansas and South Dakota) and only 51 total entries.

9. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,631) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

This is great! Thanks for the update. Turns out I'm way closer to hitting all the states and styles than I thought. Guess I have some new goals now...

Todd likes this.
  10. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,436) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Twice in the past I noted my styles count had dropped by one, then I had to figure out which one so I could review another example of that style. That PITA would now be eliminated as I would instantly know which it was.

Also lost a state once - apparently a brewer having breweries in multiple states had a beer "corrected" as far as which brewery it came from - or a collaboration beer was re-attributed to another collaborator in another state. Never did figure that one out, other than the state I then needed. This too would be easier.

11. Todd

It's part of the old master listing issue that's been noted in this thread and others.

Basically, a script was counting brewery entries that contained no value for state or country (old master listings). It now ignores these entries, which should sync with the lists on the beer stats pages, and I'm pushing an update for recently active users right now. Everyone else will eventually be updated.

We still need to sort out those old master listings, but stats should be a bit more accurate now.

12. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,027) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

love this! And not just because I posted about my desire to be able to do this a few weeks ago!

Todd likes this.
  13. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Meyvn (1,106) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

Nice!

Todd likes this.
  14. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,544) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Thanks for the ICYMI. This is awesome. Great feature.

GratefulBeerGuy and Todd like this.
  15. generallee

generallee Poo-Bah (2,305) Apr 5, 2008 Virginia
    Society

This is an excellent feature. Thank you!

GratefulBeerGuy and Todd like this.
  16. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,110) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Society Trader

THIS FEATURE IS AMAZING! I've wished for this for several years.

generallee, GratefulBeerGuy and Todd like this.
  17. Lone_Freighter

Lone_Freighter Poo-Bah (6,634) Jun 4, 2017 Vermont

Same here-ish. I have never had any beers from the state of Arkansas but I see 50 states for me in the non-extended beer stats. Wondering if the DC Brau beer - OTWOA was counted as a state?

Not trying to be a pain in the ass, just something I noticed.

Also, possibly in 2019, I'll consider being premium. If anything, I applaud Todd for his hard work in this. :beers:

18. Todd

This has already been addressed, and user stats update daily based on your last recorded activity.

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  19. Mikexw

Mikexw Meyvn (1,028) Mar 3, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

All I know is I spent (wasted, if you ask my wife) an inordinate amount of time figuring out which states and styles I needed, and the new enhancement gives me the exact same info with significantly less effort expended...

20. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,975) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

Looks great! Love it

Todd likes this.
  21. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,975) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

I'll happily take care of that Arkansas need gfor you man!

Lone_Freighter and Mikexw like this.
  22. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,505) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Thanks for the stat enhancement - much appreciated.

23. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

There are 51 as Washington DC is counted as a state for this purpose.

Lone_Freighter and russpowell like this.
  24. beersampler6

beersampler6 Meyvn (1,029) Apr 4, 2018 Michigan
    Society Trader

I’m loving it - finally paid for a subscription just to have access to these stats. Exactly what I’ve been looking for! Thank you.

Todd likes this.
  25. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,046) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Omg!

Oh my geekiness.

I am a cheap bastard. Why pay $20 for a free site? Curiosity got the better of me and i signed up to become a premium member. Bingo! Instant stats for what I had been trying to manually calculate by state, country and style. Love it! Thanks @Todd for the upgraded functionality and work.

Todd likes this.
  26. bbtkd

Society Trader

Might Puerto Rico be listed as a state on BA at some point? I see it's listed as a country, but that's not accurate as it is a US territory, as much a state as DC is. Granted, DC is CONUS.

27. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

I don't think that Puerto Rico will be listed as a state (or counted towards the states count) on BA unless there is a change to approve statehood but I could be wrong. Washington DC is a little different as it is the capital of the United States and thus contained within it for most (if not all) purposes of geographical classifications that I have seen.

All of the US Territories (that have Place entries) that I am aware of are listed as separate countries on BA - American Samoa (0), Guam (3), Northern Mariana Islands (0), Puerto Rico (42), US Virgin Islands (10), and US Minor Outlying Islands (0). I don't think there is any impetus to make them appear as states... Why do you think they should?

28. bbtkd

Society Trader

I believe Puerto Rico is the largest territory, probably the most modern, probably having the most craft, the closest, and the one that keeps coming up as a possible state. If one of the US territories were to be included, it should be Puerto Rico. Another option is to combine all of the territories into a "state" called US Territories. Or lump them into DC and rename it "Swamp". :stuck_out_tongue:

#68 bbtkd, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    PapaGoose03 and Mikexw like this.
  29. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,131) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Nice add based on what I'm hearing. Awfully tempting for me to drop the money on the Premium membership, but just can't pull the trigger just yet for some reason despite contributing what I have thus far (not saying it's all that much).

30. bbtkd

Society Trader

Trivial cost compared to what most of us spend on our beer habit already.

beersampler6, sulldaddy, Todd and 2 others like this.
  31. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (30,402) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Moderator Society Trader

I spend less than half for a year on a BA membership, than I do on any Bruery BBA bottle. I've bought more of them than I'd like to admit this year. They are worth the price, but the premium membership is even more worthy just for no Ads. Rest of the perks are just additional pluses.

Todd, PapaGoose03 and bbtkd like this.
  32. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Zealot (542) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I like the extended stats, but I'm also curious to know my average ratings by style and also how my ratings by style compare to other users' averages. Can you please add our average score and average rDev for each style in the extended stats?

Todd likes this.
  33. Todd

I've added your average for each item. I meant to when this was launched, but must have gotten sidetracked with all of the updates.

I'll consider the rDev.

Enjoy!

34. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,756) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Oh very nice ... I really like that. Thanks!

Todd and thebeers like this.
  35. Phoodcritic

Trader

Much appreciated!

Todd and thebeers like this.
  36. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,666) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Just noticed this tonight. Thanks!
    More beer numbers for me to nerd over.

Todd likes this.
  37. Phoodcritic

Trader

It would be interesting to know if our preference for different beer styles deviates significantly from other users. As you have already calculated the averages for each style, would it be that much more work to add an additional column with the average rDev by style? Thanks for giving it some thought!

kojevergas and Mikexw like this.
  38. Mikexw

Mikexw Meyvn (1,028) Mar 3, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

I do that myself — well, not rdev, but difference from average rating - by style and brewery ( so I know, for example, that I’m not a big NEIPA or Allagash fan). But agree it would be a great feature. And I would honestly pay more attention to BA-supplied data.

Phoodcritic likes this.
  39. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,251) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Too cool, thanks for the hard work!

40. Todd