Extreme Beer Fest: Bay Area Has Been Canceled

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by Todd, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,652) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Based on industry feedback and logistical issues that are beyond our control, it's become clear that we won’t be able to successfully host Extreme Beer Fest: Bay Area.

Personally, I'm gutted as BeerAdvocate is known for our in-person fests, they have deep roots within our community, and we haven't hosted one since early 2020. I truly miss hanging out with all of you, exploring new beers, and meeting new friends, but I'm confident that in-person BeerAdvocate Fests will be back when the timing is right and they'll be better than ever before!

What happens next?
    • All ticket holders will be issued a full refund from Ticketsauce. Refunds will be initiated on Thursday, June 16 and ticket buyers will receive an automated email confirmation. Please note that the refund process can take up to 5-7 business days based on your financial institution.
    • We'll be taking a step back, working on another virtual beer fest, and exploring bringing some old-school, in-person, BeerAdvocate Fests back in 2023.
    In the meantime, please consider donating to Ales for ALS or attending one of their upcoming events. They're our fest charity partner and we were hoping to raise additional funds to help their ALS research efforts. Every dollar helps to #EndALS.

Thanks for your understanding and support. We truly apologize to everyone for any inconveniences that this may cause.

Todd Alström
    Founder, BeerAdvocate

2. thuey

thuey Defender (623) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Society

I definitely feel mixed about this, but hope that the 2023 one (or 2024?) is in the Bay? I was looking forward to attending one of these...

eppCOS, micada, Harrison8 and 3 others like this.
  3. el_bobbo

el_bobbo Disciple (378) Dec 22, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Sad news indeed, but it is what it is. The world is still struggling, especially the industry.

4. ben63vw

ben63vw Initiate (115) Jan 12, 2021 California
    Society

Definitely sad news and also hope that there will be a future Extreme Beer Fest in the bay area.

eppCOS, Beersnake1, ChicagoJ and 3 others like this.
  5. bauers

bauers Disciple (399) Feb 6, 2011 California
    Society Trader

Like others, sad to hear this. Fingers crossed that 2023 is better, and for an Extreme Beer Fest in the Bay Area.

eppCOS, ChicagoJ, thuey and 1 other person like this.
  6. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,529) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Sorry to hear. I was really looking forward to reading the highlights and seeing others enjoy such a great event. Even though I wasn’t able to attend, I was excited for the community. Cheers and good luck moving forward.

eppCOS, micada, DrOfGolf and 4 others like this.
  7. Todd

Update: Refunds will be initiated today (Thursday, June 16) and ticket buyers will receive an automated email confirmation. Please note that the refund process can take up to 5-7 business days based on your financial institution.

thuey and FBarber like this.
  8. Laurie0

Laurie0 Initiate (69) Aug 28, 2015 California

Super sad, because as you know this was on my birthday lol. Anyway, one note, my husband bought the tickets and is not on the forums so had no idea why he was getting a refund. The message with the refund email might have contained the explanation you’ve given above for clarity.

We look forward to one happening in the bay sometime!

ilikebeer03, bauers, thuey and 2 others like this.
  9. Todd

I remember. Would've been awesome. :disappointed
    On Wednesday, an email was sent to all ticket buyers using Ticketsauce that included the same messaging included in this thread + a link to this thread. Check your spam folder.

10. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,461) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Damn Todd I'm very sorry to read this. It's obvious how excited you were to get back to in person events. I hope circumstances come together in 2023.:beers:

11. cryptichead

cryptichead Poo-Bah (1,818) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Sorry to hear this. @Todd are you able to share what was the main reason for the cancelation? Labor issues? Venue? Breweries?

Todd likes this.
  12. Todd

There wasn't a main reason, but rather multiple logistical and timing issues working against our being able to host a successful event that meets the high standards that attendees and brewers have come to expect from our fests. It was a very tough call to make, but the right one given all of the challenges.

13. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (771) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Bring it back to Boston please. I miss it

14. TLA

TLA Zealot (501) Jul 14, 2005 Pennsylvania

Agreed 100%

15. bauers

bauers Disciple (399) Feb 6, 2011 California
    Society Trader

I'd go along with this... if BA does TWO fests, with the other in the Bay Area! ;-)

16. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,348) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Sorry to hear this fest didn’t go through, but would gladly support another virtual beer fest. I have no idea the logistics behind assembling one, but what sort of target day is there for the virtual fest? 3, 4, 5 months out, etc.?

Todd and cryptichead like this.
  17. cryptichead

cryptichead Poo-Bah (1,818) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Yeah would love to see another virtual fest this summer, if that's even feasible

Gkruszewski, Todd and HouseofWortship like this.
  18. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (4,074) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Sorry the Fest will not take place after all the time and effort. I will look forward to any virtual fests as I will be able to easily participate in these. Hope things work out better for future in person fests.

Todd and readyski like this.
  19. micada

micada Meyvn (1,313) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Buffalo, NY is doing just fine. Bring it here!

20. Gkruszewski

Gkruszewski Poo-Bah (2,881) Nov 1, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

The other Half just hosted GreenCity , a two day event. Please bring EBF to Brooklyn….. If not , maybe it’s time for another EBF BEER BOX, or an extreme virtual festival… Cheers and let’s hope for the best

21. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,348) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Any updates on the next virtual beer fest? Inquiring because the last beer box was fantastic.

22. Todd

No updates other than we're definitely going to be doing one. More to follow!

23. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,146) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Come do one in Arkansas, break the mold!

ChicagoJ and FBarber like this.
  24. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,783) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Not trying to poop on California but have you looked/thought of having the next in person fest somewhere else? There have been successful beer fests all over the country this year. While you’ve been vague I’m guessing the state has as much to do with the cancellation as anything.

meanmutt likes this.
  25. MadMadMike

MadMadMike Aspirant (284) Dec 11, 2020 Florida
    Society Trader

Bummer.,. but in the meantime, I’m confident there’s gonna be a big bam boom box of badass barleywines coming up in the next virtual experience.,.

26. Todd

We're definitely considering other states and have in the past.
    It really had nothing to do with the state. There were simply way too many logistical challenges to make it happen.
    Looking forward to whatever we end up doing in Cyberspace and in 2023!

MadMadMike likes this.
  27. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Initiate (98) Mar 6, 2014 California

why not L.A again?