Extreme Beer Fest: Boston (2020)

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,147) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Morning! The fest is an invitational with a very limited number of booths and we currently have a waitlist.

2. Footbridgedan

Footbridgedan Initiate (15) Jul 22, 2019 Maine

Thank you very much for the quick reply.
    Would you mind elborting on the criteria to be invited. We have had a few recommendations that we should enter in this comparison and are excited to be part of it even if it is in the future. Thank you again.

3. Todd

It's a combination of things, like: scores/discussions on the site, recommendations from other brewers, existing relationships, previous attendance, and more.

Footbridgedan likes this.
  4. Todd

Only tickets for Session #1 remain, but not for long.

5. Footbridgedan

Footbridgedan Initiate (15) Jul 22, 2019 Maine

Thank you. I appreciate the information.

6. rdacey

rdacey Initiate (94) Feb 13, 2011 Connecticut

Any chance we see Horus returning again this year?

joberlander likes this.
  7. Todd

The fest currently has a waitlist for brewers.

8. Todd

jhavs likes this.
  9. Joenap419

Joenap419 Initiate (154) Dec 11, 2015 Rhode Island
    Trader

Are we thinking there may be 30 or so breweries or is the 27 closer to the final number?

10. Todd

As per the fest page, we're aiming for over 30 brewers.

Sumnerj likes this.
  11. Joenap419

Joenap419 Initiate (154) Dec 11, 2015 Rhode Island
    Trader

Sweet. Thanks for the reply

12. seijia

seijia Initiate (32) Apr 30, 2015

I couldn’t notice...last year I could buy the ticket around November...

13. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (88) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

seijia likes this.
  14. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (237) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Any chance additional tickets will be released?

15. seijia

seijia Initiate (32) Apr 30, 2015

Ok, thanks. but I bought a ticket to Boston :slight_smile: . I will see around my favorite breweries.

16. Precisiondigital

Precisiondigital Initiate (148) Dec 27, 2018 Maryland

Whoa this is so cool. I'm definitely going to have to attend!!!

17. Sumnerj

Sumnerj Aspirant (287) Nov 14, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Anyone familiar with the area around Cyclorama? Im looking for a good restaurant/bar within walking distance to grab a meal beforehand and/or possibly extend the party afterwards. Thanks!

18. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (561) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

The Cyclorama is in the South End of Boston. It's pretty restaurant heavy in that area, and also close to the Back Bay. Picco is like right next door and has great pizza and a pretty solid taplist usually. Five Horses is probably the closest "beer bar', but there are a lot of restaurants nearby. Just hop on Yelp and look in those neighborhoods, you'll find something that fits you.

stefgriff, gclaw4444 and Sumnerj like this.
  19. Sumnerj

Sumnerj Aspirant (287) Nov 14, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Looks like the list is down to 26 breweries for EBF. Pretty sure it was at 27 the other day. Anyone know who dropped off?

20. scxcrunner

scxcrunner Zealot (575) Aug 24, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Foolproof I think?

21. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,140) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

22. EnronCFO

Which is addition by subtraction.

23. jebiker852

jebiker852 Initiate (70) Jan 16, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

This format sucks TBH this was a yearly tradition for me and a group of friends, was nearly impossible to buy tickets.

24. dental

dental Devotee (428) Apr 2, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

not cool counting jacks abby and springdale as 2 seperate breweries lol

25. Todd

Sounds like you were able to tickets, so that's a positive and we look forward to seeing you there. The next Extreme Beer Fest will be able to accommodate more brewers and attendees.

JakerLou likes this.
  26. Todd

Technically they are, but as with previous fests they'll share a single booth.

27. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,140) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

Any chance you can spill the beans on where the next Fest will be? :-).

28. Todd

[​IMG]

mikeinportc and JakerLou like this.
  29. onezendad

onezendad Initiate (49) Apr 16, 2018 Canada

Rather than fly in the day of, like I did last year, I am driving in from Canada and it a bit of a road trip and leaving a day early so I can 1. Stop at Hudson Valley and 2. Not be tired as hell when I get to my hotel.

As I was making my colour-coded spreadsheet for my trip (don't you judge me) I took an updated look at the list of breweries and low and behold some are starting to list their actual brews for the festival and I just noticed now.

One month. Anyone else getting excited?

30. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Devotee (467) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

Definitely!

HVB in Beacon, have you been before? If not I recommend Draught Industries (great tap list) and Meyer’s for a burger. There was an awesome sandwich shop called Stock Up but appears it closed - the replacement spot Beacon Daily has solid reviews

If you have any time/interest in some art while you’re there, Dia:Beacon is pretty cool

onezendad likes this.
  31. EnronCFO

I can’t believe Artisanal made the cut for this. Blech.

32. onezendad

onezendad Initiate (49) Apr 16, 2018 Canada

Have not been but looking forward to it. Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

Driving down from Toronto and staying in Fishkill because everything in Beacon was a bit out of my preferred price range. Then a stop in CT and hopefully in RI on Friday so I can keep crossing States off my Brewery To Do List, before heading into Boston.

Looks like my CT stop will be 5 Churches based on location and opening time, but undecided on RI.

And before anyone gets concerned Im stopping at Treehouse & Trillium on the way home so I dont have to haul a bunch of cans up and down from my hotel room :slight_smile:

mikeinportc and hops_for_thought like this.
  33. mbizup

mbizup Initiate (45) Jun 26, 2015 New Jersey

I just want to confirm that there will definitely be no coat check this year. I've gone to the past few EBF's at the convention center and it's been available (although at times not 100% confirmed until close to the event). So just wanted to confirm that there definitely will not be on this year, as might have to wear some Under Armour for the walk from the hotel and waiting to get in.

onezendad likes this.
  34. undercurrent1981

undercurrent1981 Aspirant (278) Sep 11, 2014 Virginia

Flying in from VA with my gf. Super stoked for the fest and to be back at Cyclorama. We are going to 2 sessions and can't wait. Less than a month away now! :slight_smile:

Todd likes this.
  35. Todd

We currently have no plans, or space, to offer a coat check at this venue.

36. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (298) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Any pre-fest events announced this year? I generally take the train up Thursday, but searching FB events turns up nothing outside of the fest.

37. Todd

We're definitely hosting the official pre-party with Sam and the Dogfish Head crew on the Thursday. I'll post an update as soon as the final details are squared away.

38. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (298) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Sweet. I'll see y'all there.

Also looking forward to my newish EBF-mates seeing the Cyclorama for the first time. Went through my emails and apparently this will be my 12th session and 7th at the cyclorama:

Belgian beer fest 2006, 2007
    American beer fest night of lagers 2007
    EBF night of the barrels 2008
    EBF 2008, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

hops_for_thought and Todd like this.
  39. EXCELentTaste

EXCELentTaste Initiate (27) Mar 11, 2019 California
    Trader

In response to the mixed feelings expressed by gclaw, I took a look at the ratings for each of the currently announced beers and breweries for this year's fest. Here are the top line takeaways:
    • 93 fewer breweries will attend the event (2020 Brewery Count: 32 | 2019 Brewery Count: 125)
    • Brewers will pour 346 fewer beers (2020 Beer Count: 123 | 2019 Beer Count: 469)
    • The average beer score increased by 0.1 points (2020 Avg. Beer Rating: 4.0 | 2019 Avg. Beer Rating: 3.9)
    • Fewer "whales" will be available, although the percentage of whales to average beers has gone up (2020 4.0+ Beers: 51 | 2019 4.0+ Beers: 180)
    • The average attending brewery rating increased by 0.1 points (2020 Avg. Brewery Rating: 3.9 | 2019 Avg. Brewery Rating: 3.8)

You can see all of the data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...OKdTzYKNnXxmkrXzTYhSdUBY3j8wYIuYvW5Fy/pubhtml

Note: that spreadsheet uses Untappd data, which may be blasphemous for an event run by BeerAdvocate.

micada, duffman14, kkulacki and 2 others like this.
  40. EnronCFO

Great work here. Can you run geographic info? Like, is the reach of this event smaller than last year? Kinda feels that way, more New England heavy as a %.

onezendad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.