Extreme Beer Fest: Cyberspace (2021) Tasting Order

Discussion in 'Extreme Beer Fest in Cyberspace (2021)' started by Todd, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,716) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

For those who like to plan ahead, here's the current tasting order for both sessions:

Friday, Feb. 5 (5-8 p.m. PT)
    1. Dogfish Head: Hazy-O!
    2. Other Half: Small lACEd in Space IPA
    3. Short’s: Super Delicious Stout: Extreme Beer Fest Edition
    4. Carton: The World’s Turned Upside Down
    5. Great Notion: Double Maple Pusher
    Saturday, Feb. 6 (5-8 p.m. PT)
    1. The Lost Abbey: Libri Divini
    2. Mortalis: Special HYDRA
    3. Modist: Special Reserve Mallow
    4. Japas: Black Miso
    5. BeerAdvocate, BeerThugLife, Crowns & Hops: F2020X3
    6. Dogfish Head: Olde School Barleywine
    Subject to change.

MegDonchak, Honu_K, gbarlin and 41 others like this.
  2. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,553) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Is using a beer bong for any of these beers allowed?

Asking for a friend.

3. SourGuy62

SourGuy62 Initiate (6) Jan 16, 2021 Pennsylvania
    Society

Will now know how to arrange my beer fridge.

8ate8, Laurie_T, bvargajr and 9 others like this.
  4. swanfungus

swanfungus Crusader (780) Dec 23, 2014 California
    Society Trader

Definitely shotgunning the Carton barleywine.

5. Dplourde

Dplourde Initiate (5) Dec 13, 2020 New Hampshire
    Society

Will this be recorded to watch later for those of us who can't be online those days?

6. Todd

Yes. Attendees will be able to view recordings of both feeds for at least 30 days after the fest.

7. BrianAlt

BrianAlt Initiate (67) Feb 25, 2011 New Jersey
    Society

That Day 2 list is NO JOKE!

8. lkmckin

lkmckin Disciple (325) Mar 5, 2014 California
    Society

With the order set, can we get the beer experts to suggest some snack/meal pairings for each day or maybe each beer?

9. RichNLove

RichNLove Initiate (16) Jan 13, 2021 Pennsylvania
    Society

Double checking, "PT" is Pacific Time?

10. Todd

Correct.

11. giovanciliberto

giovanciliberto Initiate (10) Dec 6, 2020 Florida
    Society

Yes but you need to do them all at once

12. kenginnova

kenginnova Initiate (16) Jan 13, 2021 Virginia
    Society

Haha right? bc you know that would be extreme; an extreme waste of tasty beer ;-)

SherryBChico and ovaltine like this.
  13. kenginnova

Society

Yes. Per the FAQs, " Friday, Feb. 5 from 5-8 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 6, 2021 from 5-8 p.m. PST"

SherryBChico likes this.
  14. kenginnova

Society

Definitely gonna sleep well ;-)

SherryBChico, Dtour and swanfungus like this.
  15. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,665) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

LOTS OF WATER

Something like this having a plain baguette in slices or unsalted saltines is good for palate refreshing.

beer list is pretty diverse so hard to pair any one specific food...but Im planning on being done eating a full meal well before opening a beer from this box

16. Uptownal

Uptownal Disciple (352) Nov 2, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

What is this eastern time

17. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Poo-Bah (2,652) Aug 5, 2008 Wisconsin
    Society

5-8 PT is 8-11 ET, 7-10 CT, 6-9 MT

18. vectornut

vectornut Initiate (50) Jan 12, 2021 California
    Society

Unless I bring a friend, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up. But it will be fun to try!

19. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (984) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Same here, will probably go solo and the beers look to good to drain pour after a 3oz pour. So I'll proubably do 2 or 3 per night during the fest, and view the recording while trying the remainder.

20. LXIXME

LXIXME Poo-Bah (4,755) Oct 3, 2007 New Mexico
    Society Trader

Question: The Extreme Beer Fest beers for Feb 5-6, 2021 we each received, I realize personal preference rules but what is the suggested temps for drinking each of these beers?

21. bodonnell

bodonnell Initiate (91) Apr 29, 2011 Texas
    Society

FOOD PAIRINGS!!!!

Hey everyone, I am a fan of food pairings so I thought I would share what I plan on doing. This was a harder one not having tried the beers. I didn't want to make to make too many things so I am going for items that could be good for multiple beers and things that are not too difficult.

Friday, Feb. 5 (5-8 p.m. PT)
    1. Dogfish Head: Hazy-O! - Citrusy ceviche with fish or shrimp
    2. Other Half: Small lACEd in Space IPA - Citrusy ceviche with fish or shrimp
    3. Short’s: Super Delicious Stout: Extreme Beer Fest Edition - Spicy Chocolate dipped Bacon
    4. Carton: The World’s Turned Upside Down - Spicy Chocolate dipped Bacon
    5. Great Notion: Double Maple Pusher - Spicy Chocolate dipped Bacon
    Our fist two beers should be rather fruity and citrusy based on the descriptions. This should work nicely with the citrusy marinade of the ceviche. The ceviche's more salsa based ingredients will stand up well against the aggressive hop character and may compliment a more dank hop experience.

Two of the next three beers are stouts that should have some degree of maple to them. Stouts love chocolate, and bacon loves maple syrup (at least in my opinion). Add some spice to make it more extreme and I think we would have a good pairing. The World's Turned Upside Down may also pair well with this as pineapple and cherry chocolate deserts are not out of the ordinary.

Saturday, Feb. 6 (5-8 p.m. PT)
    1. The Lost Abbey: Libri Divini - Spinach Salad with supreme'd grapefruit/orange and salty cheese, pecans with citrus vinaigrette
    2. Mortalis: Special HYDRA - Spinach Salad with supreme'd grapefruit/orange and salty cheese with citrus vinaigrette
    3. Modist: Special Reserve Mallow
    4. Japas: Black Miso - Korean Short Ribs (Trader Joe's)
    5. BeerAdvocate, BeerThugLife, Crowns & Hops: F2020X3 - Korean Short Ribs (Trader Joe's)
    6. Dogfish Head: Olde School Barleywine - Cave Aged Blue Cheese
    Our first two beers on day 2 are sours with some degree of fruitiness. The citrus of the salad will play nicely with the sour and fruit of the beer, the sour and higher levels of carbonation (I assume higher) will cut through the cheese and salt, and pecans because pecans are awesome.

The next two beers I pared with Korean short ribs because I really don't know what to expect and the ribs should be a safe bet. I chose Trader Joes because theirs are a tasty easy solution. The red miso stout will probably have some level of roast and umami as will the ribs. The black IPA should be able to cut though the fatness of the ribs and lend some supporting roast character as well.

Finally barley wine and blue cheese are always a good pairing. This beer having date and fig flavors will play nicely with the cheese, and the aged character of the beer seems appropriate for a cave aged blue, plus the best blue cheese is cave aged.

Edit: I just realized that I did not have a pairing for the Modist Mallow. Since I already have 3 items for day two, it might be best to not pair anything with this, but I will think about it update if I decide on something.

#21 bodonnell, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    mcann2pu, joeyz2006, Lisa_B and 21 others like this.
  22. KingHenry

KingHenry Disciple (342) Nov 25, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

What exactly is the feed of, tasting notes of each beer?

23. Todd

Sam and I will be hanging out, drinking the beers, inviting brewers to jump on and talk about their beers, and taking your questions.

24. Papac6

Papac6 Initiate (31) Mar 2, 2017 Illinois
    Society

Is there also a thread with the events that are happening. When will the brewers be on
    Or when will Todd and Sam be on to chat live with is

SherryBChico likes this.
  25. Todd

We'll add more specifics soon, but Sam and I will be on from 5-8 p.m. PT both days.

SherryBChico, Dtour and FBarber like this.
  26. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Disciple (353) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

That's a lot of different ways to spell KO Pies.
    but seriously, to anyone in the greater Boston area this is apparently going to be KO Pies last year so get them while you can.

27. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Poo-Bah (3,470) Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I think I will get some Thwaites English meat pies to eat one or both nights. Those go with any kind of beer. If you live near Methuen, MA, get some.

https://www.thwaitesmarket.com/

28. bluerabbit

bluerabbit Zealot (569) May 30, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

Are we there yet? I'm not sure i can hold out for another week waiting to try these awesome beers. At least I won't spend half the fest writing down notes only to lose the fest guide before the night is over anyways!

29. SourGuy62

SourGuy62 Initiate (6) Jan 16, 2021 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have my beer advocate t-shirt for Sat. Bonus: I now have a personalized t-shirt from my son and wife for the Friday session.

donspublic, SherryBChico and Todd like this.
  30. mpj21186

mpj21186 Initiate (6) Jan 31, 2021 New Hampshire
    Society

Hello,

When will the virtual tasting be posted? I’ve seen mentioning of Vimeo or Zoom. Just trying to figure out which App to download.

Thank You

Dtour likes this.
  31. Todd

They'll be live, posted Friday and Saturday, and you shouldn't need an app to view them. The feeds will be embedded in threads within this forum.

Dtour, RichNLove, StoutElk_92 and 6 others like this.
  32. HoppyT

HoppyT Aspirant (299) Nov 8, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Hey, now that the countdown has started, and we’re getting all our ducks in a row in thinking about food pairings, glassware, what we’re wearing, etc., maybe best serving temperatures suggested could help newbies get the most out the possible flavor nuances specific to each wonderful beer we’ve received.
    Like my father used to say, “What’s the sense in having a Cadillac, if you don’t know how to drive?”

33. Lupin

Lupin Devotee (493) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I am happy about the virtual festival because it means I can finally live out my lifelong dream of attending a BA fest wearing only a pretzel necklace.

34. db23

db23 Initiate (67) Nov 10, 2009 New York
    Society

If elementary school taught me anything "PT" either means pregnant turtle or potty trained, depending on how you answered the question, "are you PT?"

35. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,621) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

This makes my bag o' pretzels a little lame.

heatherk85 and BigRedEye like this.
  36. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,227) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

*Not believing until you post a pic :grin:

chronoso likes this.
  37. lkmckin

lkmckin Disciple (325) Mar 5, 2014 California
    Society

I'm going to second this question. I had planned on taking my beers out of the 37 F refrigerator one half hour before consuming, but this is just a wild guess. For the first day beers, the Carton has "Cellar at 55 F", otherwise there are no hints on the beers themselves. Any brewers want to give us their recommendations for temperature and serving glassware for maximal enjoyment?

SherryBChico and BigRedEye like this.
  38. Daveylcarp

Daveylcarp Initiate (11) Jan 8, 2021 Iowa
    Society

I was going to just put mine out in the garage for the day....but it is going to drop to -10 F... maybe a bad idea.

SherryBChico likes this.
  39. BigSteve0_7

BigSteve0_7 Initiate (6) May 11, 2019 New Jersey
    Society

How is this gonna work? do we just log in tomorrow at 5pm? do we get a link? -thanks

SherryBChico likes this.
  40. jb13760

jb13760 Initiate (116) Feb 3, 2021 New York
    Society

I made these but feel free to use it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

johnInLA, swattie91, entheos and 38 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.