Extreme Beer Fest: Los Angeles (2017)

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (927) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I have been to many festivals in California over many years and have never seen an "option to buy".

As Todd pointed out, its illegal.

2. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (224) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

I was going to comment on that and then I noticed he's from Switzerland. Maybe that sort of thing is more common/allowed overseas?

Dicers and johnInLA like this.
  3. csniezek

csniezek Defender (607) May 5, 2004 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

Please bear in mind that the festival core staff already work from 8:30am until 11-11:30pm (on Saturday, plus a good portion of Friday) to support the festival with the hours it has.

F2brewers likes this.
  4. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (258) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

maybe hire more staff? thats a bit crazy.

I would have def appreciated an extra hour to try some stuff I didnt have time to try. Plus, nobody likes slamming stout pours that pour ice cold from the keg... you need time to let them warm up a bit in your hands. I was surprised some breweries even had their stout kegs in the ice baths at all.

DJturnstile likes this.
  5. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (927) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

They did offer the option to attend both sessions.

Something to consider next year.

yokels, csniezek and Dicers like this.
  6. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,752) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

We would also run into overall renting of the space issues. The core BA event staff is only about 8 of us (that went out to LA) so we can't really be replaced unless BA is going to fly out more people from Boston.

Additionally adding 1 hour to each session would mean either starting the festival an hour earlier (11AM instead of Noon) and leaving at about 2AM as the venues require the everything to be cleared except palletized kegs/jockey boxes that are going back with a distributor.

The longer the event is the more expensive the tickets would be as the overhead would greatly rise. Most of the BA crew (you may have seen us in red shirts) were flying out in the morning back to Boston.

All of this is to say while it is not impossible to extend the hours, with beers at such a high percentage people will get exponentially more drunk with that extra hour, and the behind the scenes logistics would be much more difficult.

F2brewers, Rbarnes4381 and csniezek like this.
  7. benwa54

benwa54 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2011 California

I agree EBF-LA was terrific....so fun to be able to sample so many craft brews at the one locale. After we had our fill, we staggered to the Nickle Diner for a good late lunch. Maybe more foods next time?
    Which brewer served up the Watermelon Agua Fresca Lager? I can't find it in the program...

Todd likes this.
  8. GimmeAGuinness

GimmeAGuinness Defender (605) Sep 1, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

I think that was Hubba Hubba from State Brewing.

J_BeerTimeYo likes this.
  9. J_BeerTimeYo

J_BeerTimeYo Initiate (106) Aug 31, 2016 California
    Trader

Correct.

10. iebforever

iebforever Initiate (75) Jan 19, 2009 California
    Trader

The sandwiches at Beer Belly were outstanding. I hope they had enough food.

11. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

I'm still sore/recovering from attending both sessions. Extreme beer fest lived up to the name. Though I love the 13th floor, skyline, open air festivals never gave me that "con crude" feeling of all those germs in the air. Here I though alcohol was suppose to kill germs. :wink:

but yeah, never heard of a festival where folks sold beer.

12. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (258) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

yeah for sure. something i def will consider. i went wrong by going to the first session without intention to go to the second session, then by the time i wanted to try and make the second sesion, i was drunk. not to meniton this year EBF fell on my 30th birthday so the whole weekend was a major slosh show. I wouldnt have made it thru both sessions haha. If i would have planned to attend both, hit the groupon, and just split the sessions on what i wanted to try, im sure i could have tackled everything i wanted to try leisurely.

thanks for the insight ! I dont think it would be too much of an issue outsourcing for more people so you guys dont have to work such long shifts? does it HAVE to be 8 people that get flown from boston cause they are internal to BA and the core event staff?

Id be down with starting it at 11 AM....not to mention the first 20 min were spent getting inside the building, to the 13th floor, and thru the line to get in so that could be more buffer time to get in and still enjoy 3 total hours.

and on the contrary i think that if I would have had more time I wouldnt have drank beers as fast as I did and could pace myself better to stay more sober.

just my thoughts on your insight.... take it for whatever its worth :slight_smile:

13. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (172) Feb 8, 2017 California

My short 2 cents on the event.

Event was very smooth, I sorta liked the floorplan (although I did get lost a few times trying to find certain breweries while running around trying different beers), maybe maps or signs posted wouldve been nice in certain areas indicating what # of each brewery was in each section just because the layout and floor was so white and plain I started getting confused which side was which.

Never ate the food so no comment on that
    Bathroom lines for the men were fairly long but did go quickly..
    Water areas were sufficient I guess but I always felt like they were in odd areas..

I didnt like how before the event started the woman started handing out tickets to get 2 oz pours while standard pours were now down to 1oz. It wasnt mentioned in buying the tickets, it wasnt mentioned in the beerfest flyer so I dont really understand why the need to change things up like that at the last minute. I thought it was a bit tacky and cheap to just imply now I have to pick n choose what beers I want to try with what..8 tickets? It didnt matter really because 96% of the breweries poured 2 oz+ and so I never used a ticket, once.

Did I feel I got my $38.50 worth of beers? Yes and No because Im glad I got to try places Ive never had before but Im also glad I didnt drink more and get more buzzed than I wanted to having to get home after the event. I felt like I only drank maybe 1/3 of the beers which is fine to me but hey thats how unlimited taster events go, gotta tick what you know you can handle.

14. Todd

Todd Founder (6,167) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

J_BeerTimeYo likes this.
  15. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (172) Feb 8, 2017 California

Thanks for the update post on what that was about. Was this due to the size of the event that caused tickets to be handed out? Ive been to plenty of tasting events and never would see tickets usually so thats my best guess on why..

16. Todd

No. It was a result of a new person in charge, who doesn't like "unlimited" tastings and is now imposing new rules for the district as of last week. Other events have and will be impacted by this, too.

J_BeerTimeYo likes this.
  17. JoshBeerNow

JoshBeerNow Aspirant (275) Sep 23, 2014 California
    Trader

Just curious, when you say district, do you mean all of LA or literally one district inside LA?

18. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,752) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

District inside of LA

19. Zod1966

Zod1966 Initiate (83) Dec 30, 2009 California

As for the "2oz pour tickets" I didn't really look at it as an issue...I never used a single ticket and all the breweries were doing full pours anyhow. I really liked how there was virtually no line for most of the breweries and I could just saunter up and have my pick of beer.

I echo many of the above regarding the food. It was just too little for too many people...

I loved the event and will definitely be going again this year. I hope there WILL be a this year...lol. Is the event going to happen for sure or are they still waiting on the new district rules first?

warrendietrich2001 and Todd like this.
  20. Todd

We're definitely exploring another EBF in LA. We have ideas for other events, too.

21. TheAngryBurrito

TheAngryBurrito Initiate (160) Jan 6, 2013 California

Great news. It was really a fantastic event.

drewone and GimmeAGuinness like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.