Extreme Beer Fest: Los Angeles (2017)

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Initiate (88) Jun 5, 2007 Washington

In an earlier post they alread said it was ok to do both session. I am doing both, that way i can sip slow, take my time, and relax. And i can try everything i want without stressing out about time, lines, and more bullshit. After they went on sale for half price i kind of had to both sessions!!!

2. SacBeers

SacBeers Initiate (22) Jun 13, 2010 California

Going to be a little bummed out if I can’t get in because of my backpack. I fly down from Sacramento and I am flying back after the event.

3. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,555) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Sorry to hear that, man. I wish you and yours smooth sailing from this point on. Family before beer.

4. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

I can't find the map some of you have spoken of accessing here. Any helps?:grimacing:

5. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (680) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Civil Society is my highlight so far. King Gary tapped out early. Didnt get to try it.

Great Notion and Weldwerks have the longest lines so I haven't tried them yet.

Cheers!

6. HOPTOMIC_BOMB

HOPTOMIC_BOMB Disciple (331) Feb 18, 2014 California
    Trader

Top three

Fudgy slippers
    Rum dB medianoche
    Be king Gary goes bananas

rmpic82 likes this.
  7. SoCalBeerIdiot

Trader

Correction:
    Longest lines are for the men's room.

Pro tip--take the elevator to the lobby and use the restrooms down there. You'll save 15mins. No joking.

JoshBeerNow and Retsinis like this.
  8. rmpic82

rmpic82 Devotee (494) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Society Trader

No need to go down...restrooms on level 13, to the left of exit from main tasting room

9. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (224) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

How was the space in general? I wasn't able to make it.

10. rmpic82

Society Trader

Lots of room - never felt crowded. Great beers in the short and long lines. Many water stations. Very well organized, with check-in done well in advance of start time (IDs and tickets.)

Todd, ferillo, Ponzu4u and 6 others like this.
  11. corgistout

corgistout Initiate (58) May 8, 2014 California

Can anyone confirm if water bottles or backpacks were allowed?

12. HOPTOMIC_BOMB

Trader

I saw ALOT of people going in with backpacks and such. I thought they were morons for it but, I didnt see anyone get told to get rid of them. As far as room goes it was spacious as hell and ac was blasting so it wasn’t stuffy or crowded, fantastic event all around, can’t wait for next year. I even got to meet the legendary alstrom bros

Todd, hopley, GimmeAGuinness and 2 others like this.
  13. Fippy_Darkpaw

Fippy_Darkpaw Aspirant (222) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

The girlfriend and I really enjoyed the festival. Amazing beers, lines were short for the most part, and the food was on point.

Longest lines were weldwerks and the men's restroom (take the tips above). Abnormal made a huuuuge deal out of their M4 line. You would have thought it was a movie premiere with the camera and videos displaying "dat line". Their beer is pretty good but it kills me how much they showcase the lines and hype.

Abnormal rant aside the entire experience was top notch and I tried a bunch of really great beers. The main feedback would be more direction towards the lesser used men's restroom and get rid of the tickets all together. I must have sampled 30 beers or so and not one asked for a ticket, in fact the first few I offered told me not to worry about it.

Tldr: come back next year, awesome festival!

Todd and Ponzu4u like this.
  14. SoCalBeerIdiot

Trader

Had to toss my water bottles at the main entrance.

corgistout likes this.
  15. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Initiate (101) Sep 14, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

We made some last minute changes to our lineup. Here’s what we will be pouring tonight (same beers as this afternoon, but different from what’s printed in the booklet).

[​IMG]
    ru image host

Ponzu4u likes this.
  16. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (927) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

My take on today's afternoon sessions:
    • Elbow Room, A++, plenty of space, even though there were lots of people
    • Venue, A+, loved the 13th floor views
    • Crowd, A++, Brewers and BAs, what can I say, my kind of crowd,
    • Long lines, This really depends on your perspective. For me it was an absolute win. All the FOMO crowd lined up for a hand full of breweries, while the rest had small lines. In a festival like this there are so many great pours, I don't see the value in standing in long lines. And the BA"s that have been at this for a while know we have ether had the FOMO pours, or know they will find their way into their glass.
    • Brewery representative access, A+, I got to to talk to someone from every brewery for which I had a question.
    • Will I go next year? Yes
    • Would I reccomend this festival to others? Yes
    • Plastic cups, I know the bros will beat me up on this and tell me its in my head. But my head still matters to me. The tactical feel of plastic over glass is a distraction for me. But I will admit that it really is a minor issue
    • 2oz tickets, I probably shouldn't say this for fear of future crack downs, but it was a bit of a joke. I started using them at first until I realized that everyone was giving 2oz pours. Than I only used them for short pours. Ending up giving mine away to some people doing both sessions. But the Bros shouldn't be discouraged. We have been though this with LABW, which started with tickets and ending up abandoning then them.
    • Highlights: Double Barrel Speedway, Trippel Barrel Big Bad Baptist, and Dead Man's Game,

17. Retsinis

Retsinis Meyvn (1,013) Sep 25, 2009 Arizona
    Society

As a long time (relative) BA member, but a long time missing voice, I had such a great time. It was like a high school reunion to me, I kept running into so many old friends. As many have already said, it was quite a well run & organized event (early ID check, ticket confirmation, programs hands outs, pour tickets (?) No complaints at all. Maybe some more restrooms, but being a beer fest, I've seen worse, and it wasn't too bad.

I couldn't believe how breweries like Shorts, Russian River, The Bruery, Captain Lawrence, Cellar Maker, Beach wood BBQ, Tioga Sequoia, Jackie O's, Upland, Smog City, Fremont, and many, many others had relatively brief, if not straight out short to no lines, and yet Great Notion, Weldworks, & maybe J. Wakefield had pretty long lines by comparison (nothing against any of those three) but I skipped those three until late in the event & don't regret it at all. Whatever, to each their own, but I wasn't chasing any ticks personally, and always had a quality, well crafted, independent beer in my glass.

All in all, it was great to meet so many brewers, & to finally attend a official Extreme Beer Festival.

Todd likes this.
  18. TheAngryBurrito

TheAngryBurrito Initiate (160) Jan 6, 2013 California

As already mentioned, this was a great festival. So happy to have this in LA and can’t wait for next year.

19. Retsinis

Retsinis Meyvn (1,013) Sep 25, 2009 Arizona
    Society

Agreed on all your points. On these two I highlighted, just my comments. As for the glasses, they almost seemed more like light Acrylic to me ( I'm not a chemical engineer, so plastic vs acrylic I don't know), but while most festivals do glass, which I also prefer, I do totally get the non glass thing, and since these seemed a higher grade, I didn't mind, but understand too if you did)

On the tickets, I was never asked for one, they were not in the earlier FAQ, or the booklet. Almost seemed a liability thing in case someone got tanked, which I never saw at all personally.

#299 Retsinis, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  20. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (927) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

On the glass thing, it really was a minor issue. I agree the quality was good enough to not effect taste or smell. It was more of a tactile thing for me.

Retsinis likes this.
  21. ryrocks12

ryrocks12 Initiate (38) Jul 1, 2015 California
    Trader

Just wanted to say how well run I thought this event was.

• Checking ID's and tickets beforehand was nice so people didn't have to wait an hour to get in once the gates opened.
    • Space was very nice with ample room.
    • The amount of tickets sold was perfect. I was afraid the event would be way oversold and it would be a linefest but I spent very little time waiting for beer.
    • Great beerlist and lots of water stations.
    Thanks for a great afternoon would definitely attend again!

22. GimmeAGuinness

GimmeAGuinness Defender (605) Sep 1, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

A few of us on the staff were lucky enough to be able to come out here from Boston to work this thing. I, for one, had a blast at this festival. Not a bad way to spend my first trip to LA! It's awesome to see that you guys all had a great time. Thanks for coming out!

23. SovereignGood

SovereignGood Aspirant (246) Jan 11, 2016 California
    Trader

I also thought the fest was great and will definitely buy tickets again next year. Favorite of the night was probably Purple Kriek from deGarde, but both Rum Medianoche and BL Double Shot were really good.

Todd and Retsinis like this.
  24. TheAngryBurrito

Biggest surprise for me was State Brewing. I live in Hawthorne so I am excited to have a place that close. Their vanilla and their French toast beers were quite good.

Retsinis and mhksuccess like this.
  25. J_BeerTimeYo

J_BeerTimeYo Initiate (106) Aug 31, 2016 California
    Trader

Festival was a huge success. Great brews and lots of room.
    Highlights for me were Latte Vastness of Space from Cellarmaker, Hawaiian Speedway from Alesmith, Scuffed Chucks from State, and Double Blueberry JREAM from burley oak.
    Disappointed I did not wait for any Weldworks. Heard the maple coffee was on point.

Todd likes this.
  26. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (102) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

Everything about the event was fantastic.. the only thing I would have hoped for is more food options... was Beer Belly a no show? Did not see them at all last night

Todd, SovereignGood and rmpic82 like this.
  27. J_BeerTimeYo

Trader

Beer belly was there for the early session but they only had pre made subs for sale. They were still pretty bomb tho.

28. TheAngryBurrito

Beer belly sub was good and no line at the Day session. Sucks they weren’t there at night.

29. J_BeerTimeYo

Trader

Yeah. I was standing in the tamale line for 10 mins and it didn’t move. So I got a sub from beer belly.

30. Lacrossery

Lacrossery Initiate (59) Sep 21, 2014 Washington

I, too, had a great time during the day session. The breweries/beers were fantastic and the venue was nice and spacious. My favorites were Rusty Nail from Fremont and Trader Jules from Beachwood. My only suggestion for next year would be to have more food options.

Thanks for putting on such a great event @Todd!

Todd and Retsinis like this.
  31. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

I thought it went really well.
    Great to chat with staff people at the booths who knew their stuff.
    Space was awesome.
    Vagabond Cheese Co.....Amazing.
    Getting to meet the Bros. and Mr Dogfish Head himself- very cool.
    All in all, we had a great time. Paid full price, and got every penny's worth.
    Will be back

Retsinis, GimmeAGuinness and Todd like this.
  32. swanfungus

swanfungus Devotee (497) Dec 23, 2014 California
    Trader

Incredibly well-run event. Congrats and thanks to @Todd and all those who worked to bring EBF to LA. Hopefully they were as pleased with the execution as we all seem to be. Already looking forward to 2018...

Highlights for me were Anniversary Blend 2 from de Garde, the Vanilla Latte Vastness variant from Cellarmaker, Wedlwerks Rum Double Medianoche, and chatting with Sam at the Dogfish booth.

Weirdest / most extreme beer of the night was either HPB's Huge Pappy or CASA's naan-inspired gose.

33. rmpic82

Society Trader

Anyone hear what happened to Aardwolf? Had a few of their beers on my hit list, but unless I was blind they looked to be a no-show?

34. HOPTOMIC_BOMB

Trader

^wondering the same, was looking everywhere for them lol

35. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

that night session was very very dangerous since very few places had much of any thing that could bre resembling a line. All too easy to chug a drink back for the sake of getting something new. About 1/4 the crowd size as the morning session.

Great festival all around. Success and one hell of a long day.

swanfungus and Todd like this.
  36. Majikow

Majikow Initiate (151) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Trader

Great event, hoping it comes back next year. Lots of space and water stations, and lines weren't too bad for most of the breweries (minus Weldwerks, but they deserved it cause they brought some heat). It was amazing when you could hit up the bottle logic line and it'd be like 5-10 deep. Just goes to show how many great breweries attended. Some of my favs were pretty much all the Weldwerks stuff (especially the Rye Single Barrel Coffee Maple Noche), Burley Phantom of the Oak, Triple Barrel Baptist, Great Notion Double Stack, Degarde Purple Kriek, just too many to list really.

Only downside was the long bathroom lines and maybe whoever threw up in the sink in the one of them.

2beerdogs and Todd like this.
  37. csniezek

csniezek Defender (607) May 5, 2004 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

Was I seeing things, or was Joshua Malina at the fest?

38. mitchgx

mitchgx Devotee (413) Aug 7, 2005 Arizona

Let me add my thumbs-up for a really well-run event. I wish all festivals had their sh*t together as well as this one. Great space, water stations were awesome, it never felt over-sold, and obviously a selection of great, interesting beers and breweries. If forced to choose favorites, I think I'd pick the Triple Barrel BBB from Epic, and the Bourbon Barrel O.E. from Smog City (which tasted so much like an actual old-fashioned that if you put it over ice with an orange twist, you could fool me into thinking somebody had just made me a tasty cocktail).

39. iamthecarlos

iamthecarlos Initiate (153) Jan 2, 2015 California
    Trader

We had a great time in the Day session. even the long lines moved fast, and when you’re with a group, recon missions got everyone tastes of the great stuff at short/no line breweries.

First year festivals can be a mess, this was so well run. I will absolutely be back next year.

I’m not hating on the plastic glasses. I do Dark Lord Day every year, those exact govino’s have become my go to. That said, a logo glass (like other festivals, heck even if they were available for purchase and not part of the ticket) would have been super cool to take home.

yokels, R1c0rtez, LocestLXCX and 4 others like this.
  40. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (582) Jul 9, 2010 California

Looking forward to all the forthcoming collabs...Monkish + de Garde and Trve + Smog City

Fippy_Darkpaw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.