Fairfax-Area Brewery and Beer Bar Recs.

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Damian, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damian

Damian Jun 1, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

My wife and I are from Boston and will be in the Fairfax, VA area over the next two days. We have a car and don't mind traveling a bit to try some amazing beers at local breweries and beer bars. This far, we plan to visit Aslin Brewing in Herndon, VA, the Fairfax Whole Foods Market and possibly Churchkey in D.C. Are there other spots we should hit up?

2. MeanDeuce

MeanDeuce Dec 4, 2013 Virginia

Ocelot in Chantilly

Damian likes this.
  3. Damian

Society Trader

I forgot to add "bottle shops" to this post, along with suggestions of what to look for. Do Hardywood or Brothers distribute?

4. Cpmitchno1

Cpmitchno1 Jan 7, 2015 Virginia
    Society

Norm's in Vienna and Dominion Wine and Beer in Falls Church are great bottle shop options. Both also have growler stations and Dominion always has excellent tap options. Just down the road from Dominion is Mad Fox, which makes some good to very good beers. Both Norm's and Dominion have a decent amount of Hardywood and Brothers along with Lickinghole Creek as local options.

Very much recommend Ocelot also. They are making fantastic beers.

Damian likes this.
  5. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

Definitely go to Ocelot if you are already driving out to Herndon, Lost Rhino and Old Ox aren't far from there either. The Wegmans in Sterling (there is one in Fairfax also) won't be too far out of your way on that trip and they have a good selection and prices. Any Total Wine should have a large selection as well.

Damian likes this.
  6. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Feb 4, 2004 Virginia

Fairfax is a big county so it depends on where you are staying. If in the south part of the county definitely hit Fair Winds then drop by Forge. Both are about a mile or so from each other.

7. Damian

Society Trader

We're staying in Fairfax, right near the town center/GWU.

8. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Feb 4, 2004 Virginia

GMU you mean. Pretty good beer bar/restaurant at University Mall, called Oh George. Lots of local/Va beers on tap. Across Braddock Rd from GMU. Mustang Sally just opened in Chantilly too. Not too far from Old Town Fairfax.

Damian likes this.
  9. Damian

Society Trader

Thanks everyone for all the helpful recommendations. My wife and I made it out to Aslin Brewing. I regularly drink Trillium and Tree House beers, and I can easily say that Master of Karate is a top three hoppy beer ever for me. Amazing stuff. My wife got the five beer taster, and we were blown away by everything on it. S'More Stout and Dunley Place DIPA particularly stood out as being amazing. Never made it to Ocelot but got to try Vandals IPA at Churchkey. Solid beer. Looking forward to our next drip down to NOVA already!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.