Fall Beer Sightings (2019)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS, Jul 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (738) Mar 28, 2009 California

Of course SN, as well as all other breweries and or businesses are chasing the money and making business decisions on what is going to sell and drive profit. They don’t kill beers that are selling. I shop at Trader Joe’s grocery store and i’ll Find something that I love and buy all the time then it’s discontinued. It doesn’t make sense to me because I love it! Doesn’t everyone else? They don’t discontinue that product because it’s flying off the shelf.

I don’t expect a company to cater to my personal opinion, likes and dislikes. However, I can still complain and make alternative purchases. I am simply stating that SN is brewing more ipas and less of specific beers that I personally thought set SN apart from other breweries. For me those beers actually create customer loyalty and drive more purchases. But yeah at the end of the day the company is making business decision based on what makes sense for them and not me.

officerbill, AlcahueteJ and ESHBG like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,566) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

FWIW I am in a similar boat. I used to purchase a lot of SN Variety Packs in the recent past to obtain the 'traditional' beers they would produce on a seasonal/rotating basis. Needless to say I no longer do that due to those beers no longer being available.

Personally I am presently conflicted in my feelings about Sierra Nevada. In the past I appreciated the fact that they would produce 'traditional' beers (albeit on a limited release basis). Now their priorities appear to catering to the 'new' craft beer drinkers and I am no longer a priority to them. Add in the fact that many (most) of their year-round brands are too old at my local beer retailers and the opportunity to purchase their beers is even more diminished. I still have some level of love for Sierra Nevada due to the long history I had with this brewery but I m uncertain what the future holds here. Can they achieve enough sales to the 'new' craft beer consumers while losing sales from customers such as myself and still have a sustained net growth? I can perhaps see a 'blip' of increased sales for 2019 (and 2020) but if enough historical customers become disenfranchised in the process does this mean they will have a good year in 2020/2021?

Cheers!

3. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (738) Mar 28, 2009 California

This 100%!

Runnerhiker and ESHBG like this.
  4. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (421) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Years ago I distinctly remember drinking a Pumking in July when the heat index was in the 100sF. Of course I still enjoyed it but it did feel just a little wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

I totally agree.

Agreed.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  5. beeragent

beeragent Meyvn (1,093) Aug 16, 2005 Texas

I messaged Sourthern Tier, and they said they have not shipped Pumking this year yet, so I guess old stock?

6. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (677) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

This. I''d check the bottles or the box for a date. Most ppl like to age Pumking, but YMMV.

7. jcos

jcos Aspirant (212) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

8. Runnerhiker

Runnerhiker Initiate (52) Jun 4, 2019 North Carolina

I'm with y'all that miss the maltier beers available in the SN variety pack. I'm fortunate enough to be about 40 miles from the Mills River distillery where right now they have a rauchbier and altbier on tap, styles that I love.

But as has been mentioned, we all know IPA's rule the beer landscape right now and business is business. Hopefully the pendulum will start swinging back to the maltier beers and they will more readily available by SN and others.

9. BamaScott

BamaScott Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2018 Alabama

I had the Harpoon Flannel Friday last year. It was ok, but I'm still on the fence about it. I have never had GL Oktoberfest, so I may need to try it. I believe the nearest distributor to me is Kentucky, which works out as we have hunting property there I will be frequenting come August.

10. BamaScott

Agreed. Worst damn season of the year. Our heat index right now is 105 and the humidity is at 94. I want to like summer, I just can't. I'm also frequently in the Middle East, so there just is no break from it.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  11. BamaScott

See, I'm of the opinion it's never too early for Oktoberfest beer. To me it's just a darker beer the same as Truck Stop Honey or Southern Pecan we have here year round. So, I can drink it any time whether it's 30 degrees or 100. It doesn't have the same festive feel that a pumpkin beer has. But, pumpkin beer in July is way too early. That flavor (even a good one like Southern Tier) is just too heavy a flavor for July in Alabama.

12. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (182) Mar 14, 2007 California

It was available at our locations and in and around the Chico area. :slight_smile:

John1985, tzieser and FBarber like this.
  13. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,200) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Was or is?

And how does that help me in America's Armpit/Asshole? (i.e "Distribute that shit, goddammit!") :wink:

EDIT: or better yet, end the BA infighting and bring back Glissade!:clap:

14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,490) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Sierra Nevada has a distillery at the Mill River site now? I don't remember mention of it when I visited this winter. Unless it is another company's distillery with SN beers on tap? (That seems pretty unusual).

15. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Lol. My son hates Tacoma too, drought or drenched no middle.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  16. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,808) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Oh, I love it here, but, the gloom do get tiresome. When summer arrives, I don't want anything crushing my jam.

17. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It’s 100 plus heat index’s here, so fall beers are two months away.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  18. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

All of you complainers are funny.

19. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Aspirant (222) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Let me know we can work out a trade!

BamaScott likes this.
  20. Runnerhiker

It's just down the road from the Asheville airport. It's a beautiful place, lot's of native stone work, an outdoor stage with music almost nightly during the Summer. A beautiful place and of course more importantly, great beers on tap, many that they don't sell retail.

21. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,490) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, I've been to the Sierra Nevada brewery in NC, I was asking about the "distillery" you mentioned and suggested it was connected to SN or just had their beers on tap?

22. Runnerhiker

Brain freeze on my part, I meant brewery, not distillery. Sorry for the confusion.

23. tzieser

Trader

Should I take it a step further and change my avatar over it?:laughing:

FBarber and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  24. SierraTerence

You can still find it in and around Chico, it is in the gift shop for sure. Not sure about North Carolina gift shop.

Still love the Glissade shout outs... We receive a lot more than the Early Spring Beer requests.:grimacing:

25. tzieser

Trader

Thanks for the info. Next time you have a team meeting, put in a good word for me in regards to Glissade!:grin:

keithmurray, ESHBG, jeebeel and 5 others like this.
  26. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (473) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I knew I'd find this thread sooner or later! Usually August is when I start wanting Fall beers and then September it's full swing! An early seasonal favorite of mine is ST's Harvest...What a great ESB! I have a few while brewing my annual pumpkin ale in August. I haven't tried Great Lakes Oktoberfest so I'll be on the lookout for it this year!

27. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,915) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

You're just excited for the fall because Celebration comes out in October.

Genuine, Scrapss, jcos and 1 other person like this.
  28. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (197) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

So why not bring it back, or make the Pale Bock the spring seasonal? It seems to me that there are a lot more lagers on the market now than when you brewed Glissade.

29. SierraTerence

If I had a dollar for how many times I added original Pale Bock to the list of possible Spring seasonal options, I would be looking at early retirement. @BillManley

YamBag, jkblr, John1985 and 9 others like this.
  30. JackHorzempa

Society

But the Sierra Nevada Marketing & Sales folks 'rule' here?

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (4,283) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Today's arrival at Sto Bev.

[​IMG]

The pic below is from late June, 2019 when one of the von Trapp brewery workers gave me a freshly canned sample.

[​IMG]

Cheers!!!

32. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,005) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Just rename it "hazy Bock" and use the og Glissade recipe. Boom!

AZBeerDude72, AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  33. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (241) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

By "sales & marketing rule" you mean to say "sound business decisions rule." There are volume expectations for a SN seasonal beer. The best selling helles bock on the planet, probably sells a fraction of a mediocre performing IPA. It's all about setting expectations. If a volume target is the goal, then at a certain point, you either need to lead with a "sure bet" or build a brand from a small enough base so that it earns a spot in that framework.

Full disclosure: @SierraTerence knows that I hate Pale Bock. I always have. It's headache juice. Especially the early versions. In later years it was better. BUT, as a brand guy, it's not about me and it never has been. It's about the market and what the (most) customers want. I loved Glissade when it came out. I was proud of that beer. In hindsight, I think the branding was not where it should have been, but that could be fixed. The bottom line is: it didn't perform well. If the beer does middling in the market distributors lose faith in it, and then sales loses faith in it, then it's dead-in-the-water. At that point, it's better to cut bait and try again with a different option that it is to try and resuscitate a beer on life support.

34. JackHorzempa

Society

Bill, I recognize that you are no longer with Sierra Nevada but I am curious about the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. Is this a popular selling beer? Is this beer still being produced because it sells 'well'?

The reason I am specifically asking about Kellerweis is that in the past I would see this beer on my local beer retailers' shelves but not so much anymore (akin to SN Porter & Stout).

Cheers!

@SierraTerence

officerbill and AlcahueteJ like this.
  35. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (197) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

@BillManley, thanks for your comments. Can you elaborate on what you now think the branding miscue was?

36. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2017 Illinois

Went too Hyvee in Bloomington yesterday and the guy said he is getting the Samuel Adams Oktoberfest in today. Definitely going to take another trip to Bloomington tomorrow.

Scrapss likes this.
  37. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I don't mind Ocktoberfest in July. Frankly I'd rather that than the distributor holding it for awhile.

38. JackHorzempa

Society

Yup, having these Oktoberfest beers 'bake' at my local Retail Beer Distributors is not a good thing.

Cheers!

Scrapss, jcos and MaltheadWeirdo like this.
  39. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (62) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Clearwater Total Wine just put Sam Adams Oktoberfest six packs out today.

40. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Poo-Bah (1,966) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

From the IPA/APA's straight to the cellared BA stouts for me! Those other styles get peppered in year round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.