Fallen out of love with IPA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by julhoag, Oct 7, 2022.

1. rugene

rugene (419) Mar 2, 2015 Canada (QC)

I'm still in love with this style, but I am in an open relationship with the other kinds of beers. So it means that I also let my IPA communicate with any different kind she likes.:slight_smile:

Peach63 and ColdOne like this.
  2. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 (1,319) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I still do like IPAs, but, some of them do not like me much. There are some IPAs that give me the worst hangovers. Lupulin Brewing Hooey, if I drink even one, and have no other beers, I am hung over badly the next day.

I am somewhat burnt out on the hazy style as well in general because I have had so many bad ones lately, that just taste awful.

So, I am trying to avoid the style lately. I have, I think, one IPA in my fridge at this time, and it's not a hazy.

3. ESHBG

ESHBG (420) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I can get this sometimes too. I had one IPA not too long ago (and no other beers but this one) and ample water and still had a headache and hangover-ish feeling the next morning.

sulldaddy and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  4. kevanb

kevanb (937) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Still big into IPAs but with the glut of supply these days, it's getting harder to find bottles/cans that are acceptably fresh (1-3 weeks) at the time of purchase. Most inventory at my locals just rots on the shelves for months on end. I find myself buying more variety these days in terms of style and while I wouldn't say I've fallen out of love with IPA, I've probably rediscovered my loves for other styles that are less dependent on freshness.

5. rugene

rugene (419) Mar 2, 2015 Canada (QC)

Agree with this, I am always looking for the date of production or the best before date, but not much brewery gives this info, which is crucial for this type of beer. I have tasted some excellent IPA that was flat because staying on shelves for too long.

Amendm and kevanb like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa (964) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yup!

If a beer does not have a date (in easy to understand format preferably) then I do not purchase that beer.

Earlier today I had a four-pack of Paulaner Pilsner that I was considering purchasing but nowhere on the cardboard packaging was a date. That beer went back on the shelf.

Cheers!

defunksta, AlfromPA and kevanb like this.
  7. linkmon

linkmon (0) May 14, 2009 New York

Living 30 seconds from Industrial Arts, I can still say Wrench is my go to!

Once they released in 12 packs, it's still the best buy in beer IMO.

Harrison8 likes this.
  8. WoogityBoogity

WoogityBoogity (0) Nov 20, 2008 Florida

The twenty year American IPA craze has ruined the palettes of an entire generation of craft beer drinkers... So many new people who've come into the hobby and drank nothing but certain styles for years, and will likely never be able to enjoy the many infinite number of other styles out there.

9. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 (1,435) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Definitely fallen out of love with hazies and stuff over 7-8%.. give me a 5% session west coast all day, though.

10. MadMadMike

MadMadMike (599) Dec 11, 2020 Florida
    Society Trader

I’m past the novelty of Hazy and have identified Citra & Simcoe as my hop weapon of choice.
    I gravitate toward simple IPAs, not the mish-mash of brewery competition to blend up something that’s supposed to “taste like” something other than IPA.

11. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins (661) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

For all of you to whom this applies, Saison is there for you, it always has been. Go give your Uncle DuPont a hug, he'll welcome you with open arms, all transgressions are forgiven.

12. ramseye4

ramseye4 (484) May 14, 2010 Virginia

Been drinking em for 11 years now and still love ‘em. I don’t get excited about every new hazy release but the good ol west coast variety I’m still diggety down with

JackHorzempa likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Society

[​IMG]

14. julhoag

julhoag (35) Jul 8, 2020 New York

I love Saison, wish good ones were easier to find.

JackRWatkins likes this.
  15. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins (661) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

Amen

16. Celtics76

Celtics76 (747) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I'm at a point now where if I want a fresh IPA, I'm better off just traveling to a local brewery. The bottle shops these days are overrun with shelf turd IPAs. Even good ones.

kevanb likes this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

If obtaining a fresh IPA is a priority, as well is should be, drinking it from the source (e.g., a brewery taproom) is the best option.

When I want to purchase a packaged (e.g., canned, bottled) IPA I go to my local beer retailers with a half-dozen or so brands in mind and if one of those brands is reasonably fresh (my target is about a month from packaging) I buy one of those six-packs. Otherwise I walk out empty handed.

Another option is homebrewing. I have a batch of Ekuanot IPA in the dry hopping phase right now.

Cheers!

AlfromPA, Celtics76 and kevanb like this.
  18. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ (350) Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

I still love and prefer West Coast style IPA's over NEIPA or hazy, but I still drink both.

I do not go out of my way to try the latest and great hazy or NE, but stick to the ones I know....these days usually Fiddlehead. As far as WC pale and IPA, my usuals are SN PA and Torpedo, Dales, Founders Centennial, or Bell's Two Hearted.

seakayak likes this.
  19. Metnut

Metnut (80) Dec 18, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Still love IPAs, especially stronger double/high ABV ones. I really like the "good" hazies (Other Half, Burial, Heist and Resident Culture are the best ones available near me) but hazy IPA from a random brewery can often go VERY wrong and I'm usually hesitant to gamble with a new hazy IPA from an unknown brewery.

ColdOne and seakayak like this.
  20. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg (934) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I really like IPA's, Centennial, Two Hearted, Maximus, Stone, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, the rest are pretty much fruit juice....

eppCOS likes this.
  21. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead (1,081) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

This thread comes up about once a week now. Haha. That, or "tired of hazy IPAs".

My position currently isn't that I've fallen out of IPAs. However, I think I have palate fatigue from them or something. I keep thinking I'm craving an IPA and then I have one and it just never tastes the same to me as they did the first few years I was obsessed with them. I want my palate to be blown away from intense fragrant, fruity and floral notes and bitterness, but almost every IPA just seems malty, sweet, and bland to me now. I want to recreate that experience of first getting into IPAs, but I can't anymore. It's kind of sad. At least for me. Maybe I'll take a break from them for a long time and see what happens.

22. Mgh2001

Mgh2001 (217) Dec 3, 2021
    Trader

Suarez???

you live in NY

23. pro100

pro100 (0) Oct 12, 2014 California

I can't do the big double IPA's, hazy or clear, anymore. Too heavy. I'm more a hazy pale ale and hoppy lager type now primarily. Will even have a bottle or two of Stella on hand for an occasion pallet cleanser-break time from all the heavy hops

budsNpils likes this.
  24. Reidrover

Reidrover (1,390) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Falling back in love. After all it's Fresh Hop season up here

oneeye and Harrison8 like this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave (1,206) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I have nothing to add, but this philosophy is mine too, and it bears being repeated.

HorseheadsHophead and draheim like this.
  26. Harrison8

Harrison8 (1,649) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Local 3 acre hop farm here has given us fresh hop beers in this region too. It's not to the magnitude of the PNW, but it's still wonderful to have a few fresh hop options to select among during the season. Hope to see more in the future!

27. Peach63

Peach63 (0) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I'll fall outta love with IPA's when I'm 6 feet under!

budsNpils, ColdOne and oneeye like this.
  28. steve419

steve419 (0) Apr 7, 2011 New York

I love Treehouse & Heady Topper but i've been drinking more Suarez beers lately.. German style pilsners

29. jesskidden

jesskidden (884) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, but we're still good friends. (w/benefits? Obviously).

Wait? You know this for a fact?

No India Pale Ale in the afterlife?

I ain't goin', then!

30. gvickery

gvickery (485) May 13, 2017 Texas

I lost interest in them about 3 years ago. I started to realize that they all tasted nearly the same. I started trying all the European imports I could find, mostly German. I really like Fullers ESB and London Pride but they’ve been non-existent since covid.
    My favorites are Marzen/Oktoberfest, most domestic ones miss the mark though. The American versions I’ve had are either too hoppy or used caramel malts that totally messed up the flavor.

31. defunksta

defunksta (873) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

A man of integrity. You have to be careful out there.

32. woodchipper

woodchipper (1,149) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I still love the NEIPA style, wish I could get more West Coast style (seems to have faded in availability), never liked the Milk Shake style. But I mix my drinking up with many other styles. Just had a blow my socks off Dunkel at a local brewery.
    Love or hate IPA's, variety is the spice of life.

33. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson (1,068) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

putting aside that "lager" is an incredibly broad term that carries as much variety qs you can imagine, I do agree with that idea about IPA. In its American context it is so loose and so wide open that it can appeal to pretty much anyone. There's no real constraints on malt type, other grains are welcome, hops offer a wide array of flavors and potential intensities of those flavors, and the yeast styles add another layer of variability. I don't like all IPAs, but unless you really don't enjoy hop flavors, I bet you can find some subtype of ipa that will agree with you

budsNpils and Mgh2001 like this.
  34. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal (709) Aug 24, 2020 California

I still love ‘‘em and seek out ones I have not tried. I love the diverse range of flavors, clarity/opacity, etc. This time of year, though I love a good stout or rich marzen or scotch ale or Dopple bock

seakayak likes this.
  35. julhoag

i don't like having to do mail order every time i want a beer

36. Flashy

Flashy (385) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

no.

37. ColdOne

ColdOne (595) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

1. Have kids
    2. Raise them with a thirst for knowledge
    3. Insist that they attend SUNY schools
    4. Hunt and gather on your way home every time you drop-off, pick-up or visit—fridge will be stocked for years

38. julhoag

/thread

39. julhoag

this is the only way to drink good beer frugally

40. moodenba

moodenba (701) Feb 2, 2015 New York

What happens when the kids get bigger and start raiding the beer fridge (or the wine cellar or liquor cabinet)? Where did my vintage Thomas Hardy go? or my $50 scotch?

Amendm and ColdOne like this.