Australia Fans outraged over sale of iconic independent Byron Bay brand Stone & Wood to beer giant Lion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World' started by StJamesGate, Sep 9, 2021.

1. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (4,914) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Society

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,359) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Kinda funny to read this 2 months later, after Lion bought Bell's - not so much outrage (some, but a minority I'd say) but lotsa congrats to Larry Bell for retiring.

:thinking_face: I guess the Australian Dream isn't the same as the American Dream?

Bitterbill and Resistance88 like this.
  3. RichardLeahy

RichardLeahy Aspirant (284) Sep 15, 2018 Australia

No outrage at all amongst Australians intelligent enough to realise that craft beer brewers are no more altruistic, righteous or virtuous and no less likely to try to make a decent return on investment than any other beer brewers.

AzfromOz, jesskidden and Redrover like this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,949) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

It's better than being bought by Alan Bond, the sob. Of course, he couldn't cuz he's no longer amongst the living.

Resistance88 likes this.
  5. AzfromOz

AzfromOz Initiate (22) Aug 22, 2020 Australia
    Trader

Interestingly, the guy who bought most (all?) of Bond's failed brewing investments, John Elliot (then Chairman of Australia's then largest brewer, Carlton & United Breweries) famously said you only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime. He was right - he died last year without buying anything else off any other Alan Bonds, as far as I'm aware...

Some great ads in the 80s for Bonds' products, though. Check out YouTube for old Swan Draught ads.

Cheers

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,949) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

One of my favourite Lagers of all time was Swan Lager. I drank a lot of it when I lived in California during the 70s.