Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Fantasia: How do you tell the difference between B1 and B2?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BAstoutsNsours, Apr 28, 2013.

1. BAstoutsNsours

I have both batches. While I know which one is which from when I got each, I was wondering if there was a way to tell which batch is which by looking at them? I couldn't find a difference. I have six b1 bottles on their way to me and another from a trader in SoCal that wasn't sure, so I'd like to assign that bottle to its proper place upon delivery. Thanks for the help.

2. OakedCanuck

Just looked at both bottles from both batches side by side. I can't tell any difference between the two. Both labels are identical as is the wax colour... Sorry.

3. ArchEnemyBrew

Only difference between the two that I know of is that batch 2 has some sort of plastic apparatus on the underside of the cap. I'm assuming its some sort of oxy cap. You'd have to open them both to find out though o_O Also, none of the wax on the batch 2's of mine is dripping like the bottles of batch 1. Drippy wax, bro.

4. csano

I couldn't tell the difference, either. This is why I ended up having to write 2013 on all of my b2 bottles.

5. OregonHopmonster

Beer Trader

There is a slight difference in font on the back labels between the two. One of them the font is a little thicker/fuzzier, the other a little more crisp. A slight difference to be sure but you can tell the difference. Only problem is I no longer have both batches so couldn't tell you which is which. I'm thinking someone else can help here?

6. LoPo87

Beer Trader

I have not noticed anything different on the labels. The only thing that helped me distinguish the two was the amount of wax used. B1 had a bit more wax that dripped down the neck of the bottle. The B2 seemed to have a thicker wax and they only barely dipped the bottle past the cap, with no wax dripping down the bottle. Obviously this could just have pertained to the B2s that I had, but that was all I could tell you.

7. BAstoutsNsours

Both batches side by side. I think all of these little subtleties people are coming up with are merely just bottle to bottle variations, but not batch to batch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know which one is which, would love to see what others think. Why the fuck didn't Upright do something different? First world problems I know, but c'mon man.

JavaNoire and mkurylko like this.
  8. teddyarrowhead

Beer Trader

All of my b1 bottles have drippy wax legs, b2 does not. For those of you who had your bottles shipped to you, it's not surprising that the b1 would look the same as the b2. I was hoping that they'd at least change the 'alchoholic' warning on the back to make them distinguishable, but I just have them in different areas of my cellar. When I'm trading both at the same time, the silver marker comes out.

9. LoPo87

Beer Trader

Batch 2 is on the left. Thicker shorter wax. Just a guess though :)

10. ArchEnemyBrew

It's actually just the opposite I believe. Batch 1 has a thick short wax which is dripping in the back I see.

11. BAstoutsNsours

You are correct, batch 1 is on the left. You win an internets high-fiver. So, this just goes to show that there isn't a solid way to tell unless you have dripping wax, correct? I love how this is the most distinguishing characteristic of Batch 1 *sarcasm*. Maybe next year they could dip the entire bottle in wax?

12. ArchEnemyBrew

The whole thing? They're teasing us with only the tip aren't they? ;)

Sarlacc83 and BAstoutsNsours like this.
  13. kscaldef

Beer Trader

I thought that was how you know if it's a counterfeit bottle.

14. m4ttj0nes

Beer Trader

one is sour, one isn't.

bfg75 and libbey like this.
  15. mkurylko

Beer Trader

I was wondering, is there an easy/definitive way to identify a 2012 Fantasia vs. a 2013 one without opening the bottle?

Thanks in advance!
    Marek

16. maltmaster420

Beer Trader

As a general rule, the 2012 batch tends to have long drippy tendrils of wax, while the 2013 is cleaner.

Other that that, no, there's no vintage markings of any kind on the labels.

17. bfg75

Beer Trader

Beat me to it ;)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe