Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Great Britain Fantome beers in London?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ImperialStoat, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat May 20, 2009 Ireland

Anyone know a shop in-or-around the London area that sells Fantome's saison? Beautiful Beers in Putney has it, but they're a spectacular rip-off.

2. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

3. ImperialStoat

Sorry, I'm an absolute fucking moron. The place in Putney is called The Beer Boutique, and they sell Fantome saison for £15 a bottle (more expensive than its typical cost in California!). Beautiful Beers is more reasonable but I'm loathe to pay £8 for shipping.

4. CwrwAmByth

Yeah its a shitter though they do also have struise (though most of those are pretty expensive)

5. ImperialStoat

If you're a big fan of De Struise I'd recommend ordering from their webshop. The shipping prices are surprisingly reasonable (I think about £15 for a box of 12), and the beers themselves are very, very, very nicely priced.

6. CwrwAmByth

Yeah I am planning to actually (and have done a few years ago too). Hopefully Black Albert is still in stock when I do it though, probably my favourite beer in the whole world, unfortunately i paid £10 for my first one though (4 for £40 from cracked kettle inc. shipping). In case you hadn't seen it you can get Westvleteren 8 for about 5 euros a pop.

7. ImperialStoat

Yeah, I just saw that actually, though to be honest I'd rather have a bottle of Pannepot than any of the Westvleterens.

Mmmm...Pannepot.

8. CwrwAmByth

I concur, probably the best quad i've had. Got some aging too. What's Pannepeut like?

9. ImperialStoat

Eh, not as good, I thought. It's been a while but I remember being underwhelmed.

10. Ruds

Ruds Sep 15, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

They are the same beer !

Might just be variation on age that made you feel underwhelmed?

11. ImperialStoat

They're spiced differently, aren't they? I had Pannepeut before Pannepot and I remember being confused about all the fuss.

12. Ruds

Ruds Sep 15, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

I'm going by a certain other website who's European database is superior to this one

They suggest there isn't enough variance in the recipe to warrant 'put' being added as a seperate beer to 'pot'

13. CwrwAmByth

Only way to settle it is to get a bottle of each and drink them side by side really.

14. ImperialStoat

I like the sound of that.

15. Aye

Aye Jul 21, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Should we do a Pannepot variation night? Give everyone a fortnight's notice and have a live tasting on a Sunday night maybe?

16. ImperialStoat

Sounds good, though we'd have to all be drinking the same vintages, no?

17. Aye

Aye Jul 21, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Well that's the sort of thing we need to decide on. I reckon we could cover most of the variants/vintages between us depending on the numbers. One vintage/variant as a 'must have' and another of your choice or a free for all?

18. ImperialStoat

Yeah, if it's actually feasible this sounds like a funidea. I imagine there's only three or four of us here who'd be willing to do it.

19. CwrwAmByth

I could do it as I was planning on getting some struise in the new year. Though push comes to shove I have at least one bottle of 2011 tucked away. Not the pannepeut though.

20. danieelol

danieelol Jun 15, 2010 Australia

Pannepeut is totally different...lighter colour too, looks more like a Barleywine

Both good though

21. His_Royal_Hoppiness

His_Royal_Hoppiness Sep 5, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

Not exactly the London area, but if you're ever around Oxford, 'Classic Wines and Beers' on the Cowley Road has Fantome Saison, Black Ghost and Pissenlit. It seems to sell off a lot of leftover stock from James Clay, so you have to watch out for the expiry dates - not too sure about the others, but the Saisons 'expire' this month - though probably with Fantome it adds character! They're priced at £10 each, but I knocked the owner down to £8 and you could probably do a deal like 3 for £20. They've been sitting there for months and I think I'm the only person to have bought some!

22. ImperialStoat

Thanks for the heads-up!

His_Royal_Hoppiness likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe