Fastest way to cool your beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pianoguy, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,241) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

Funny timing on this thread. I just got done cleaning beer slushy and broken glass out of my freezer, GRRRRrrrrr. I didn't set the microwave timer and forgot all about em. What a mess... I'm a dope...

Moral of the story, always set a timer especially if you've been drinking.

2. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,431) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I wrap a wet paper towel around the beer and place it in the freezer for 20 minutes.

3. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Defender (633) Oct 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I was going to post what most of said about the wet paper towel, leave in freezer for 15-20mins and remove...but your post made me spit out my breakfast burrito all over my monitor at work.

Now i have to use a bunch of paper towels to clean this stuff up.

4. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (699) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

As far as coolers of beer go, I use a redneck method of putting down a layer of ice from a bag, then inserting the beers into the ice layer. After that I follow it up with a bit of water from the hose to make it ice water. Yes, the beers are swimming around in a bath of ice water... but it has saved my butt on a few Thanksgivings.

5. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,458) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I do the salted ice water bath in the freezer - gets it cold within 10 minutes or so. But then again, I'm not aversive to "cool" beer (as opposed to cold) - I'm probably gonna let it warm a bit anyway, y'know?

6. egoo33

egoo33 Initiate (197) Apr 18, 2010 Illinois

Always have a stocked fridge so you have something to drink when your new purchase is cooling.

Steban likes this.
  7. Hcumberland

Hcumberland Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2014 Texas

Icewater will chill a bottle of beer in 10 minutes or so. It can be helpful to turn the bottle upside down a couple of times during that 10 minutes to circulate the beer I've been doing this for at least 40 years in emergencies!

8. dogbert617

dogbert617 Initiate (68) Jan 6, 2015 Illinois

I always just simply throw the room temperature beer into the freezer, then wait 12-15 minutes before taking the bottle out.

9. JAntony345

JAntony345 Initiate (0) May 1, 2010 New York
    Deactivated

I just keep whiskey stones in the freezer

10. loweball727

loweball727 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2010 Ohio

Patience and 2 hours in the fridge.

11. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (206) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

I saw the wet paper towel freezer trick and the one I saw but was only 5 minutes. Tried it and it worked.

12. BergBeer

BergBeer Champion (885) Aug 21, 2013 Hawaii

Leather jacket, shades, and a cigarette

utopiajane likes this.
  13. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I run into this in hotels quite often - warm beer that I'd like to drink faster than a fridge can support. No problems, grab ice bucket, fill ice bucket. Next, fill with water. Now you have a nice ice bath. Finally, spin the beer in ice bath until the outside is noticeably cold. Then spin for another r30 seconds or so. All told, you are likely into about 3-4 minutes of spinning at the most.

Learned the "spin a beer" thing from "Paulie" the big Jersey slugger on one of my ball teams during a tournament in Portland like 20 years ago. We had to quick cool a few cases of beer during tournament, spun those babies in the cooler. Been spinning beers ever since.

14. Steban

Steban Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 North Carolina

30 mins exactly in the freezer. Not a minute earlier or later.

15. mschofield

mschofield Meyvn (1,424) Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts

That was a good one, they even busted a military trick my dad told me that never made sense. Bury the beer in sand, pour gas on the sand and set it on fire. Any cooling came from the temp a foot or 2 down being lower than Viet-Nam room temp.

16. mschofield

mschofield Meyvn (1,424) Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts

that might be the best benefit of the wet paper towel, holds most of it together long enough to put it in the sink

JakerLou likes this.
  17. PGD120

PGD120 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

we tried this one time, it makes a big mess but actually works

18. hellobeerz

hellobeerz Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2013 Virginia

Put them in the cooler with ice and a tad bit of water, put salt on it and science will take care of the rest. Extremely efficient. Also, the paper towel trick in the freezer works flawlessly. Good luck this summer and Cheers everyone!

19. Crymar

Crymar Initiate (51) Jun 11, 2014 Virginia

Had a little hand cranked canned beer chiller in Japan years ago. Dumped in some ice, a little water, and a can of my favorite brew. Turned the crank for 30 seconds and "voila!" Ice cold Kiri that my cute little aboriginal girlfriend served me with a respectful bow. Fond memories.

20. Tanktizzo

Tanktizzo Initiate (0) May 19, 2014 Illinois

Roll it in ice water!

21. brywhite

brywhite Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 California

The Mythbusters did it with a Fire Extinguisher, but you might get yourself a Cooper Cooler 'cuz it's a lot less messy.

Cooper Cooler Rapid Beverage Chiller
    Cans in 1 minute, Bottles in 3.5 minutes, Bombers in 6 minutes.

22. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,126) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I've got a set of whiskey stones, which are the same basic concept. Sip your bourbon both chilled and neat.

That being said, I've never bothered using them for beer. I just toss it in the fridge, and start drinking it about half an hour later. Granted, I've found I enjoy most beers either only slightly chilled, or room temperature.

23. BrewlsRules

BrewlsRules Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2015 Wisconsin

Alton Brown did an overly complicated water, ice, salt, canning tongs, blender method that chilled it in about 1 minute. The canning tongs suspended the beer above the spinning blades & the movement of the salted ice water went well below freezing and crashed the temp of the beer in the bottle.

works? probably. worth the risk of a glass shard filled kitchen? your call. (Though you may be able to test the ex wife theory if this goes badly.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.