Favorite Brewery? There Can Be Only One...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TriggerFingers, Feb 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

I visited them in Alaska a few years ago. Great beer!

RBCORCORAN likes this.
  2. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Zealot (591) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

The Barrel Aged Christmas Ale was pulled due to infection about a day before they were supposed to release it, I believe it was a ticketed event.

Sharp Shooter Session Wheat smelled like vomit and didn't taste much better. Was freshly tapped as the bar we were in was doing a Great Lakes Tap Takeover. One of 3 beers I have ever sent back to the bar.

The High Striker, which is a Belgian Pale, tasted like a Belgian Blonde, no hop profile whatsoever.

My friends at a local Oktoberfest described the aroma of the recent Oktoberfest as "hot garbage".

I haven't been buying much of their stuff since all of these events, but I do know that the Alberta Clipper is still a very tasty beer as is their core lineup.

3. drink1121

drink1121 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 California

Hill Farmstead - amazing hop forward beers, stouts/porters, sours and fun one-offs

jhavs likes this.
  4. cryptichead

cryptichead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,813) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

5. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,776) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut

I agree. Sierra Nevada is my favorite brewery but these two beers were just OK and kind of a miss for their respective styles. It was almost like they were trying to play 'catch up' with Tropical and Otra Vez.

TriggerFingers likes this.
  6. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 California
    Trader

Isn't their brewer leaving?

7. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Grand Pooh-Bah (5,199) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Perennial from right here in St. Louis.

8. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Grand Pooh-Bah (5,512) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hill Farmstead, no question in my mind

jhavs likes this.
  9. Dentist666

Dentist666 Pooh-Bah (2,943) Dec 21, 2009 Russian Federation
    Pooh-Bah Society

Guys, do you know a brewery in the US or anywhere else, which produces the widest range (concerning beer styles) of outstanding beers? I mean they brew terrific lagers along with masterpiece saccharomyces (american, british, belgian) ales and wild ales, succesfully BA them, implement mixed fermentation and so on. I love lots of breweries, but know no one catchall.

10. scottakelly

scottakelly Initiate (0) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I can narrow it down to 4, otherwise this is like asking me to pick my favorite child

Bell's
    Sierra Nevada
    Fuller's
    Weihenstephaner

Sierra Nevada is probably in the lead, and I might say them if they made some solid English ales.

11. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Pooh-Bah (2,224) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Great Lakes

kotzbauerm likes this.
  12. Eli2814

Eli2814 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2016 California

Alesmith for sure

13. AnthonyRicciardi

AnthonyRicciardi Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2015 New York

Grimm even though they're not a brewery technically. SO if it has to be brick and mortar than I'm going with Finback.

14. zp6167a

zp6167a Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2011 District of Columbia

Great Lakes.

It's easy to find, reasonably priced, and they produce so many styles.

If you can't find at least a few beers from them that you like, you're not trying.

VABA and PatrickCT like this.
  15. n2492004

n2492004 Pundit (754) Dec 31, 2006 Michigan

bell's

PatrickCT likes this.
  16. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

It's between Sierra Nevada and Founders

PatrickCT likes this.
  17. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 England

It has to be Tiny Rebel in Wales for me. First local little brewery that I "fanboyed" over, from when they started up 4 years and 5 days ago, and when I lived locally to them it really showed me the value of beer that's super fresh and made with loads of care and passion. Not crazy beer though, my favourites always were The Full Nelson (Nelson Sauvin pale ale) and Dirty Stop Out (Smoked oat stout) served on cask, as well as Cwtch (see my profile picture) an amber ale both tasty and familiar. Cwtch, for what it's worth, is Welsh for a safe place, for that kind of big hug that can also be described as offering someone a safe place. That's the kind of love that goes into great beer.

Also in terms of US breweries, Odell. (It would have been Pretty Things as their beers made it over here a few years ago, but alas, such is the way of the world, RIP)

18. EricTKole

EricTKole Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Michigan

Founders. Hometown and mug club member 'til I die.

19. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Wicked Weed... It is the one I'm at the most.

20. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

Like the OP, I'm going with Firestone Walker. Despite hating 805 and Pivo, I either like or love everything else in their portfolio, whether it's a regular stock beer, seasonal, annual, sour, barrel-aged or whatever.

Started off drinking Double Barrel back in 2000 and their beers seems to have developed just ahead of my palate all the way through the 2000's.

Sierra Nevada is a safe second choice. I can also throw Alesmith, Bell's and Ballast Point in the hunt as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.