Favorite Cocktails

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by mambossa, Apr 25, 2019.

1. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (369) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I’ll always opt for a Manhattan or Sazerac. In the spirit of the nicer weather, I have been enjoying a few Aviations (sans marachino liqueur) despite not being much of a gin drinker.

What’s your go-to?

Edit: Feel free to share any good recipies!

#1 mambossa, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,806) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Sazerac or a mint julep, but I certainly love a great gin and tonic too.

Premo88, Greywulfken and mambossa like this.
  3. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (707) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Sorry if I spell this wrong

Creparania

I like a bunch of Tiki drinks too

Enjoy

Premo88 and mambossa like this.
  4. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (258) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Sidecar, whiskey sour

Premo88, Greywulfken and TheGent like this.
  5. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (588) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

A well made, no frills, old fashioned is a thing of absolute beauty.

On the other end of the spectrum, I absolutely love an umbrella garnished, garish Mai Tai from a neighborhood Chinese restaurant.

Unsurprisingly, I also love the sweet, muddled fruit version of an old fashioned which kind of splits the difference :sunglasses:

Premo88 and Greywulfken like this.
  6. not2quick

not2quick Disciple (385) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I don't drink many cocktails, but if I due, typically a Manhattan or Old Fashioned. I do love me some bloody Marys though....

Greywulfken likes this.
  7. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (230) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

If I were to list my top five of all time it would be:

Negroni
    Daiquiri
    Trader Vics Mai Tai
    Don Beach's Zombie
    Jungle Bird

8. nblackstock01

nblackstock01 Initiate (42) Jul 23, 2015 Alabama

With you all the way with the "classic" old fashioned! Although I sometimes don't mind going to a local bar that makes handcrafted drinks based on what your preferences are and palate is like and say give me an old fashioned with a twist of something smokey or however I'm feeling at the time!

meefmoff likes this.
  9. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,786) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Go to, I’m probably in a similar boat as the OP with Manhattan, Sazerac, Old Fashioned.

Lately I’ve been getting more into Mezcal, so if I see a cocktail with that I’ll usually get it. Or if I’m drinking a margarita I’ll ask for Mezcal instead of Tequila.

One of my favorites is The Last Word, which is gin, lime juice, maraschino liquor and green chartreuse.

10. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (775) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

I pretty much stick with Gin & Tonics. Love 'em when they are good. That means I stand a chance of enjoyment if I make them. :wink:

nc41 likes this.
  11. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (367) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Dark and Stormy

TheGent likes this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,611) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Are we making the distinction between cocktails and highballs here? I'll tend to go for highballs, myself, especially in the summertime. As to classic cocktails, and as you could probably guess from my Amaro thread, the Negroni (and its variations) is what I tend to go for.

13. TongoRad

Society Trader

Do you know of any traditionally-made, smoky Mezcals available in NJ? I got addicted to the stuff in Mexico and have been meaning to explore it back home.

Premo88, Thankin_Hank and TheGent like this.
  14. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,786) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I have never purchased a bottle of Mezcal. My experience is limited to ordering cocktails.

Sorry I can’t help!

I’m going to pick some up though and I’ll share my thoughts.

15. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Initiate (137) Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey

Oh man favorite cocktails. 2:1 gin martinis and 2:1:2 manhattans are hard to beat in my book. A good martini is like drinking a cloud. A good manhattan is rich and bold and layered, like a great imperial stout.

And the mai tai is fucking unbelievably good. Just had one of those - used a rough facsimile of the death and co specs:

1.5 oz Chairman’s reserve
    0.5 oz 1931
    0.25 oz Clement VSOP
    0.5 oz dry curaçao
    1 oz lime juice
    0.75 oz toasted almond orgeat
    Dash angostura
    Lime wedge in the shaker

I strained this one over a big cube this time instead of over crushed ice. No garnish. Still crazy delicious (might actually like it better this way). Perfectly balanced between the tart and sweet, with the funk of the rum and the nuttiness of the orgeat adding beautiful little wrinkles to the flavor profile. Lots of tiki drinks are too boozy or too sweet but this is a stroke of genius on the part of Trader Vic. Essentially a rum margarita with orgeat. So simple yet so damn delicious.

16. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (340) Apr 29, 2012 California

My father recently told me, that my grandmother (his mom, who passed 10 years before I was born) used to frequently say:

"Drink your coffee black and your whiskey straight."

It's a little weird how I have "naturally" live by those words. I don't normally make cocktails, order them, or really drink them.

That said...

My favorite mixed drink would be a nicely made 100% agave tequila Margarita on the rocks. I also enjoy a proper bourbon cocktail...Mint Julep around the first weekend in May or a Manhattan. I really want to try a Martini that knocks my socks off.

Premo88, lastmango and Greywulfken like this.
  17. Glider

Glider Aspirant (212) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

Del Maguey brings in some pretty great mezcal, which I believe are distributed nationally. They were one of the first to import authentic mezcal.

Most of the others outside the worm and scorpion bottles are good as well. Ilegal, Fidencio, Sombra, etc.

If you’re looking for a good mezcal cocktail, try the Maximilian Affair:
    1 oz Mezcal
    1 oz St Germain
    0.5 oz Punt e Mes
    0.5 oz lemon juice

Premo88, mambossa and TongoRad like this.
  18. Nickwierda

Yeah I have a bottle of Del Maguey Vida which is relatively inexpensive and works great in cocktails. Not quite as good as their Chichicapa, which is also widely available (though pricier).

My favorite mezcal cocktails are the naked and famous and a tequila/mezcal penicillin.

Naked and famous:
    .75 oz mezcal
    .75 oz aperol
    .75 oz yellow chartreuse
    .75 oz lime

Mexican penicillin:
    2oz reposado or Anejo tequila
    .75oz lemon/lime juice (50/50 split)
    .75oz honey/ginger syrup (50/50 split)
    Float .25oz mezcal on top

19. TongoRad

Society Trader

Seems a perfect place to start. Thanks!

Premo88 and Thankin_Hank like this.
  20. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,971) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

That Chairman's Reserve is great (St. Lucia)

Premo88 likes this.
  21. Nickwierda

Really is. So glad they just got distro to NJ!

Premo88 likes this.
  22. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (702) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I got into Caipirinhas several years ago and never looked back. Rock candy and all.

23. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,127) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Vesper, a.k.a. the James Bond martini.

3 oz Tanqueray (94 proof)
    1 oz Vodka (100 proof)
    1/2 oz Lillet Blanc
    1 dash Angostura bitters

Shaken (not stirred), served with a twist of lemon peel. The higher-proof gin and vodka stand up well to a vigorous shake with ice.

[​IMG]

Premo88, Greywulfken, jkblr and 2 others like this.
  24. TheHammer

TheHammer Savant (988) Feb 15, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

Ever since a trip to the Dominican, I've always enjoyed the bartender's bane, the Mohito. I have a mint plant in my apartment for just this reason. As far as cocktails, kinda meh on it, but as a Canadian I do have a soft sport for a good Caesar.

dcotom likes this.
  25. omlooper

omlooper Disciple (329) Apr 25, 2008 Missouri
    Society

Most recently at Shawnee National Park (underrated, awesome) in southern, IL it was the classic I’ve had too much beer but I want another drink, big chunk of melted/refrozen ice and = Makers/ginger beer.

dcotom likes this.
  26. mambossa

Society

Okay this sounds REAL friggin good right about now

Premo88 and TongoRad like this.
  27. mambossa

Society

A mixture I always keep in the freezer is a mason jar of Manhattan mix.

I’ll do 24oz rye Whiskey
    Anywhere between 8oz to 12oz sweet vermouth to taste
    7 dashes of angostura bitters

Simple, delicious, always nice to have on hand.

28. mambossa

Society

God damn. Can’t tell if it would work better as a winter drink or a summer quencher. Definitely gotta try this.

Thankin_Hank likes this.
  29. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,690) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

An Old Fashion, when done right it is a thing of beauty, when done wrong, shit you should have just poured that bourbon or rye over a cube of ice. There is one place if I am ever there I will get an old fashion because they KWTF they are doing. I tried making them at home and realized I cook and pour beer in a glass better than I mix cocktails

dcotom, Thankin_Hank and Greywulfken like this.
  30. Nickwierda

Amazing with tacos, as stereotypical as that may be.

Thankin_Hank likes this.
  31. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,196) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Rum and ginger beer (Fever Tree preferred) OR rum and tropical juice(s).

32. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (230) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

[​IMG]

With it warming up, and having left over fresh OJ from a recipe I felt obliged to make a painkiller.

3oz of Appleton Estate Signature
    3oz pineapple juice
    1oz fresh orange juice
    1oz real coco

Shake with ice to chill. Strain into glass with ice. Top with freshly grated nutmeg. It's the better cousin of the pina colada. More balanced and less sweet. One day I hope to make it with fresh pineapple juice.

Premo88 and seakayak like this.
  33. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,919) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I ran a cocktail/spirits channel before I started heavily focusing on beer on Youtube.

I am very much a seasonal cocktail guy and jump around. Tend to have rum and gin based stuff in the Summer. Juleps come out now for me... Pewter cups, home grown mint and all. Daiquiris mojitos ones you can whip up quick.. good 2 or 3 chord drinks.

Colder weather more whiskey stuff, a simple sour, old fashioned, Manhattan etc.. the odd cream based stuff around Christmas.

Always love a good negroni, Aperol spritz. Simple margarita not the slushy kind..

I bounce around.. also love Anejo tequila with of course lime and sangria, and mezcal is great too.

34. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (367) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Dark rum (ex. Goslings) + ginger beer = Dark and Stormy. They are really good in the summer.

35. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (119) Feb 25, 2013 California

I'm not a cocktail kinda guy, but I have semi-regular access to Havana Club Cuban rum. I've made mojitos with them, using a really good recipe (basically it all comes down to not macerating the mint but just gently rubbing it to release the aromatics, and hand crushing cube ice). It takes a bit of preparation which is why I hear bartenders hate to make them, but when done this way they are incredibly light and refreshing.

Premo88 likes this.
  36. Smakawhat

Society

Bartenders absolutely hate making anything they have to muddle. It's work intensive, often messy, and you have a hard time making those drinks quickly and well.

37. TongoRad

Society Trader

Maybe it's just me, but if I see that the bartender is slammed and in the weeds, I just won't order anything that takes time to make. But I do notice that certain people just gotta have what they gotta have, no matter what.

Premo88 and Thankin_Hank like this.
  38. Smakawhat

Society

All depends, some places certain drinks are more commonly ordered.

I would be out occasionally at salsa bars when I was younger, or sometimes find myself at a Brazilian club etc... then mojitos would be ordered often. You'd often see the bartenders just pounding them out like crazy, alcohol and lime flying all over the counters... it would be a mess, funny sometimes too

39. TongoRad

Society Trader

Oh, I can see doing it in those situations, or if you're at a place that bills itself as a cocktail bar.

Most of the time for me, however, if I'm not at an actual beer bar, I'm getting drinks at a wedding or a vacation resort, so I guess you just get a different perspective there. :wink:

Premo88 and Smakawhat like this.
  40. Glider

Glider Aspirant (212) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

Oh man, wedding and event bartenders. If the couple picked out signature cocktails, there is a good chance the line is huge.

Best case you get some old-school hotel bartenders who will make you a good Martini or Manhattan.

The catering bartenders I have seen are usually hopeless and you are best going for some straight whiskey or the like.

Premo88, Smakawhat and TongoRad like this.