Favorite Cocktails

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by mambossa, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (230) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Sometimes I've gone the lazy route and made a mint infused simple syrup for mojitos and they turn out nicely. I was turned on to this at a bar that did it to bypass muddling.

Premo88 and TongoRad like this.
  2. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,992) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

I grow mint in the summer and buy mint from grocery stores in the winter. When making a Mojito i take 8- 10 leaves and hand slap them twice, drinks come out tasty. However Mojito's are just a pain to make sometimes even at home.

Premo88 likes this.
  3. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,922) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I grow mint as well, it's a weed so it's easy. The big thinkg you need to do is contain it and watch that it doesn't spread out of control, like get into your lawn. need to stick that stuff in a planter (pot).

I've figured out my own mojito technique, took some time. Collins glasses can be tricky to make them in. Broken a few oooopps in the process. Big trick I use is a chopstick for a little bit of stirring at the end so everything gets mixed together well.

My wife asks me for many of these I get plenty of practice. :wink:

Premo88 likes this.
  4. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,992) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Mint plants grow well your right but living in MN our growing season is short so luckily ive never had to contain it. Put it right with basil,cilantro and parsley.

5. Smakawhat

Society

That makes sense, I have to remember not everyone lives in zone 7 heh heh!!

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

6. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (119) Feb 25, 2013 California

Interesting link. I'm in a Zone 9B (Lodi, CA). Not sure what that means for garden herbs, but for viticulture it's about as perfect as it gets.

Anyways, as it seems we are all in agreement on making mojitos, yes it's a pain in the ass but that's what makes it so good when you make them correctly yourself!

7. Smakawhat

Society

It should tell you just about everything you need to know about what you can grow in your area and at what times.

Yeah you guys in California can grow friggin anything.... makes me jealous... :slight_frown:

8. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (119) Feb 25, 2013 California

I read up on this a bit - I've never heard of it. In viticulture we use 'degree days' to differentiate climates. But on top of the 9b we have here, we have evening delta breezes, very sandy soils we call 'handford sandy loam' where rain just disappears into it (so no standing water), and very little water scarcity (some of the best water availability in CA). In addition to winegrapes we grow mostly highest cash value crops (minus mj), which are mostly cherries and almonds.

9. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,611) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I love a good mixed drink... I have a few staples, and I also like to check out interesting specialty drinks at restaurants, but I can't keep track of names and recipes... The two drinks that introduced me to cocktails were the Rob Roy and Manhattan...

The one that really captured my liver was the martini...
    [​IMG]
    I do a vermouth rinse, gin shaken in ice, one olive...

I'm happy to see a number of nods here to the Sazerac, too...
    [​IMG]
    Had a great one at Ruth's Chris once; I need to tinker around to get mine right though...

And my latest fave got some nods here, too - the Negroni...
    [​IMG]
    I've been getting these lately when I go out with my in-laws...

I also happen to like margaritas - in fact, that's gonna happen sometime this week... :wink:

The Total Wine here on LI has mezcal and you guys have Total Wine in Jersey, right?
    [​IMG]
    Anyways... Ilegal's Mezcal Joven - I'm no expert but it had a nice smoke to it...

Cheers...

#49 Greywulfken, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Thankin_Hank, seakayak and TongoRad like this.
  10. Greywulfken

Society Trader

And, the very next day... lol
    [​IMG]
    Margarita featuring Avion anejo tequila and Master of Mixers margarita mix...

Salud!

Thankin_Hank, seakayak and mambossa like this.
  11. Crim122

[​IMG]

Finally got a bottle of dry vermouth and decided to make clover clubs.

1.5oz London Dry gin
    .5oz dry vermouth
    .5oz homemade raspberry syrup
    .5oz lemon juice
    1 egg white.

Dry shake to emulsfy the egg white. Then shake with ice to chill.

dcotom, gatornation, Glider and 4 others like this.
  12. Glider

Glider Aspirant (214) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

I hope this doesn’t come off as dickish, but I think if you ditch the mix and squeeze a lime instead, you will find that it is totally worth the extra effort.

Trying to make a better Margarita is what got me into the whole cocktail thing. I quickly found that using a real lime makes a huge difference.

Tonight I am sipping on a Sazerac with half Rye and half Cognac. Tasting really good. I may have to go make another. Cheers!

Greywulfken, TongoRad and Nickwierda like this.
  13. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Initiate (138) Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey

Made a Oaxaca(ish) old fashioned last night to watch GOT with:

1 oz reposado tequila (Corralejo)
    1 oz mezcal (Vida)
    Barspoon agave nectar
    Dash mole bitters
    Dash angostura bitters
    4 drops habanero shrub
    Pinch salt
    Flamed orange twist

That little bit of heat from the habanero shrub totally makes this drink. Rich, sweet, and smoky, with some minerality/flintiness. Balanced by the bitters, and ends on a little lick of habanero spice. This one’s definitely going into the regular rotation.

14. Crim122

There is nothing dickish about the truth. In my eyes a margarita should be nothing more than tequila, triple sec, fresh lime juice and a splash of agave nectar.

Unless you're making for a big group there is no reason to resort to pre bottled mixers. And I say this as someone who squeezed like 30 limes for a two gallon batch of margaritas one time. The finished product is worth it.

dcotom and Nickwierda like this.
  15. Greywulfken

Society Trader

I've only had "real" margaritas at restaurants - I never even thought to make one!

--> gonna get some limes tomorrow - I'm so fucking excited!
    [​IMG]
    Pay no mind to the gin - that's for something else I'm working on... :wink: lol

dcotom and TongoRad like this.
  16. Greywulfken

Society Trader

That's beautiful!

17. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,690) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Nice, for a change every now and then, I add a touch of amaretto

Greywulfken likes this.
  18. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Grabbed a bunch of fun stuff at Total Wine...
    [​IMG]
    The wine's really for the missus, but it happens to be a fave of mine; meantimes, checking out Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva rum from Venezuela (recommended by an online list), thinking about some rum and cokes this weekend... hitting the grocery store tomorrow for limes and coke... :wink: ...Gonna apply some of those limes to some margaritas with Riazul anejo tequila; grabbed some Bison Grass vodka (recommended in the vodka thread) - no real cocktail plan there actually... lol ...And some Tanqueray, for more martinis!!!

And randomly, with the inclusion of some Cointreau I have in the cabinet, I actually have all the liquors common to a Long Island Iced Tea, albeit not the preferred versions... You know I'm gonna make this version of one... lol

Cheers...

19. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,690) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

This reminded me of a few years back when Sams Club had a Anejo tequila they were selling for $12 a bottle, was a steal and it wasn't bad to boot. Still have a bottle in the cabinet. My son ruined one by adding water to it :slight_frown:

20. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Coming at that margarita again, this time with agave syrup...
    [​IMG]

Tequila, Cointreau, and lime juice at 2:1:1, hit it with agave syrup, shake and pour...
    [​IMG]
    Came out great - really happy - agave syrup is a nice touch...

10 years or so ago, Olive Garden - of all places - had an Italian margarita which featured - you guessed it - amaretto - and it was insanely delicious; I got it every time...

Cheers...

dcotom, Premo88, Glider and 1 other person like this.
  21. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,809) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

You would think that with only two ingredients and a garnish it would be impossible to bugger this up right? Wrong, most places make them like they’re frightened to put gin in it, tastes like all tonic. I usually avoid them when I’m out, same with martinis, excessive water isn’t an ingredient.

22. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (775) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

Agree! I just got back from a conference and a few days vaca in NOLA. Forgot about that issue at the Hyatt Regency and ordered a Bombay Sapphire G&T. Ech! No tonic water . . . just club soda out of the gun. I surely thought that such a high rated hotel bar/restaurant would serve at least Seagrams if not Fever Tree. Nope. Stuck with Sazeracs after that.

nc41 likes this.
  23. nc41

Trader

Ewww, gin with club soda? I’m tolerant , but please use the right stuff. I’m always tempted to order a double and add ice in case they got it right. Martinis forget it, I’ve never even even a mediocre one from any bar, way too much water from the ice it simply kills the gin.

lastmango likes this.
  24. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (775) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

I rarely order a g&t in a bar because they are too lazy and usually just use club soda out of the gun rather than a good quality tonic water like Fever Tree. If I want one, I typically ask what kind of tonic water they use. Then I watch them make it!

nc41 likes this.
  25. nc41

Trader

Damn, thats a new one. The ones they make here usually suck but at least they make it suck with tonic.