Favorite Colorado IPAs?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hoppytobehere, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,222) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It'll be full/busy and there will probably be a lot of drunk people, but it seems like a prime time to go. They'll have something like 20 taps including different vintages of their seasonal big stouts.

2. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (392) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Tried FCB's Far Away IPA for the first time and was pleasantly surprised- its a crisp, west coast IPA with a light malt character that works really well.

Would certainly try again. Definitely on a completely different level than the Rocky Mountain IPA they had in the past.

SuperWhite92 and WingsAndBeer72 like this.
  3. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aspirant (225) Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

Having a Dry Dock IPA. Pretty tasty. Has a very crisp taste to it. I dog the artwork as well

tylerstubs and poonamibaxter like this.
  4. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (232) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Sounds fun. Thanks for the info.

5. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,222) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Kind of IPA-related, Upslope's Citra Pale is now available in 6-packs. The version they released in tall-boys back in 2015 was one of my favorite CO hoppy beers. I just bought a 6-pack, so I'm hoping it's the same stuff!

6. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,026) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

The Imperial IPA is pretty tasty.

Cheers!

tylerstubs and ColoradoBeerMan like this.
  7. WingsAndBeer72

WingsAndBeer72 Initiate (164) Jul 27, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

This is very good news

8. TrveBrewer

TrveBrewer Initiate (116) Jun 13, 2014 Colorado

Just a heads up that we're releasing our once-a-year DIPA, Nazareth, tomorrow at 4:20pm.

This year the beer is 100% Troubadour Serenade, hopped with Amarillo, EKG, and Triplepearl at 7lb/bbl, and fermented with 001.

This loss at this hopping rate was very high, as such, we don't have a lot of this one...it won't be around long.

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,035) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Growler fills? :rolling_eyes:

10. Wasatch

Beer Trader

Your brews do not make it to GJ, do they?

Cheers!

11. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (194) May 14, 2015 Colorado

That beer packaged at TRVEs going rate would be 85 bucks for 500 ml.

ManBearPat likes this.
  12. Wasatch

Beer Trader

Wow! They that good.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

tylerstubs likes this.
  13. TrveBrewer

TrveBrewer Initiate (116) Jun 13, 2014 Colorado

Unfortunately not right now (that'll probably change soon, but I don't have a precise timeline).

Also, while I get the humor, I've gotta say that we consistently price our mixed culture beers at or, often, below the going rate of our peers because we believe in the quality of the beer and want people to drink it. We also make efforts to not pass on all of our costs, when possible, which at our size/production level is not an easy thing to do....and we're one of the few places where you can still get a $5 proper pint of pale ale.

14. WingsAndBeer72

Beer Trader

Anyone try the new Upslope experimental ipa?

15. Fitshaced

I just picked up a 6 pack and trying it now.. unfortunately this will probably become marinade for me. It has a huge malt back bone and very little hops to me.. just not a fan..

WingsAndBeer72 likes this.
  16. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (131) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

Yeah thats what most of Upslope's IPAs turn out like IMO. The light-malt "modern" IPA is just not their thing. That said, their Citra Pale is more along those lines.

WingsAndBeer72 likes this.
  17. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (131) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

18. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Savant (963) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Different yeast? Consider me intrigued!!!

19. JakeT469

JakeT469 Disciple (339) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Anyone have Alpha Bits 5 from WeldWerks yet?

20. Dan_K

Dan_K Disciple (399) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Man, I am really wanting to try that DDH n00b now, but it's almost a 2 hour drive each way from my house. And I'm going to be there next weekend. The struggle is REAL!

ManBearPat likes this.
  21. Fitshaced

So true!

On the Citra pale ale note. I had it a while ago and it was so good then they didn't make it for about 6 months and I went back and tried it and it tasted more like a lager to me instead of a really good pale ale. So I've been Leary to go back and try it again..

Cheers

22. Fitshaced

Yeah it sounds delicious. Think I'll swing by and try it and maybe grab a growler of it..

23. WingsAndBeer72

Beer Trader

That is what I was afraid of.

24. GOciepka

GOciepka Initiate (131) Oct 6, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I bet it'll still be on next weekend

25. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (720) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Want to try it, but their prices on double ipas or DDH beers are pretty insane. $9-10 for a pour. I'm guessing the crowlers are around 16-18$ to take home. No thanks. :angry::rolling_eyes:

26. tylerstravis

Beer Trader

I didn't realize it was crowlers :slight_frown:

In my experience, Odd13 beers need to sit for a couple of weeks before drinking, but I've made the mistake of sitting on a crowler for two weeks which ended up being an oxidized mess.

27. JakeT469

Beer Trader

Their prices don't bother me at all. I've never paid that much for any of their IPAs. They're definitely not $9-10 at the taproom. I'm not going to pretend I know how much it costs to make those beers cuz I don't, but I do know it's not cheap with the DDH beers and DIPAs.

28. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Really? I have had two month old crowlers that taste fine.

29. R3ason

R3ason Disciple (307) Aug 13, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'm lost. Odd13 doesn't have a crowler machine now, do they (the day they get one, I'll be so happy)?

DDH n00b = growler
    Alpha Bits 5 = crowler

tylerstubs, tylerstravis and JakeT469 like this.
  30. tylerstravis

Beer Trader

I heard crowler. Good to know.

tylerstubs and R3ason like this.
  31. tylerstravis

Beer Trader

I had a DDH Galaxy Juicy bits this past week and it was very oxidized. I've had two month old BA stouts that were fantastic though.

tylerstubs and SFACRKnight like this.
  32. JakeT469

Beer Trader

Cerebral just released Tandem Jetpack today for those that are interested.

CerebralBrewing and tylerstravis like this.
  33. raynmoon

Beer Trader

They definitely are $9-10 At the taproom. DDH juicy bits and Alpha 5 are both $9 At the taproom currently. Extra juicy bits was $10.

34. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

I did have juicy bits in a crowler with about a month on it, and while it was still great, it wasn't the same glorious elixir it was fresh.

tylerstravis likes this.
  35. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

@rscot231 my homebrew geekery has gotten the best of me, can you elaborate on the yeast changes? If you prefer not to I get that too. :sunglasses:

tylerstravis and tylerstubs like this.
  36. Yohinesness5

Yohinesness5 Initiate (123) Oct 5, 2014 Colorado

Their crowler prices are definitely on the expensive side compared to similar styles from other breweries around town. For being a flagship beer, I wonder why it hasn't been put in 12oz cans yet? Can't say I've heard much about their current 12oz offerings.

37. raynmoon

Beer Trader

i was just thinking about this today. They make enough juicy bits to have no limits at the pub, and send out crowlers to distribution. So when they decided to do cans they thought that hef and puesta would be best... but why? Because they're lighter beers and lighter beers should be in cans? It seems to be a common theme when breweries start canning to not put their best selling beer in them but a pils or a lighter lager of some sort.

:confused:

38. rscot231

rscot231 Initiate (178) Mar 11, 2008 Colorado
    Beer Trader

We use Vermont Ale from The Yeast Bay as our house yeast at the production brewery. It's predictable, fast, and tasty. We use London Ale III sometimes for rotating IPAs or taproom releases. The taproom has largely switched to LA3 for everything. This is n00b with LA3, oats, and a Citra double dry hop. The base beer is Mosaic and El Dorado.

39. rscot231

rscot231 Initiate (178) Mar 11, 2008 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Not speaking for my dear friend Neil or anyone else, but this is one of the problems with crowlers. People treat them like cans. They aren't filled the same way as cans on a machine that's dialed in to do the filling. They are subject to human variability. You can have a great crowler fill or a shitty one, depending on who's filling it. We certainly have cans that occasionally have oxidation issues, but for the most part the automation on the machine creates a more consistent product with less oxygen pickup. Treat crowlers like growlers, not cans.

40. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

I think by putting the beer into distribution channels in a crowler format is begging for the crowler to be treated like a can. Like everyone else, I am surprised juicy bits hasn't seen cans at this point.
    Also, thanks for the input on yeast changes in n00b. I like la3 in my homebrews, but it likes to stay in suspension until I bottle. Somehow it always floccs hard once bottled. Maybe it's a function of pressure.

tylerstravis likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.