Favorite Colorado IPAs?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hoppytobehere, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Disciple (310) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

Damn son you picky.
    I know plenty of local breweries with loads of not products that are not even remotely fresh.

Not everyone can be WW, Cerebral, and Outer Range and can/release something new every week.

But I still love you. You the real MVP always. Let's chug some beers on your porch and make Chris eat some Bruery wax soon.

ManBearPat and tylerstubs like this.
  2. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,344) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I am kind of on the same page as @tylerstubs here.

I think most IPA's maintain their peak through 6 weeks but I tend not to buy 4 or 6 packs of IPA's older than 30 days, as I don't expect I will drink through the pack before that window of peakness has lapsed. When an "old" 4 pack of La Cumbre Elevated IPA is ~ 2 weeks old (beer/brewery may differ for others based on preferences and location), I have the luxury of being picky like that. I can't tell how many times recently I have been at the beer store and wanted to grab a different IPA only to see if it over a month old already and grab some Elevated instead. If that IPA was in the singles section, I would definitely buy a couple at up to 6 weeks or so, but not a full 4 or 6 pack.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,206) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

That's cool and all, but I'm not sure how 2/28 Hubert is 30 days old. Seriously, the wookus I picked up last night has a brewed on date that's more fresh than any of the Melvin I looked at and the dates you're giving. You can choose to think I'm an asshole for saying it. I'm simply pointing out that a larger company is doing exactly what you have alluded to not being able to do. Growth for the sake of growth is assanine, and pride goes before the fall. You want to dip out simply because you're hearing something you don't want to hear? That's life bro.

JakeT469 likes this.
  4. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (139) May 14, 2015 Colorado

I'm just saying when your company doesn't listen to the consumer, it isn't good for business. Thats all.

Melvin has a really good business model. Great branding etc. On the retail side, I even see them gaining consumer BRAND loyalty which doesn't happen much in the craft world. It is usually "style loyalty." I also see them pulling more consumers straight from the AB Coors customer than any other brewery. They're doing good work.

Also, I'm picky cause I can be picky. There was a time when I settled for okay IPA. I'm not gonna anymore.

ManBearPat and SFACRKnight like this.
  5. Ispeakforthetrees

I'm just saying I love you and want you to be happy with whatever IPA floats your boat. I will crush Melvin no matter what because they are great AF.

poonamibaxter and tylerstubs like this.
  6. tylerstubs

We gotta drink soon.

Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  7. Spaceman_Jer

Spaceman_Jer Zealot (565) Jan 27, 2015 Colorado

This isn't necessarily directed at anybody in particular, but since the discussion of what people consider "fresh" came up I'll pose a question that I often wonder about. Does anybody else actually "test" how their favorite IPAs stand up to aging?

I'm not talking about experimenting just for experiment's sake, but rather tasting your FAVORITE go-to IPAs at different ages to see how well they stand up. For me, since I have a short list of favorites I actually often buy, I figure it helps me personally to know how much I like those favored products at different ages. Because let's face it, we consumers don't necessarily control the age of beer that is presented to us, only whether or not we buy it. So for me I like knowing whether I prefer IPA #1 out at 3 months versus IPA #2 at 6 weeks.

Obviously there is the variable of transit and retail storage that makes beers "unequal" sometimes, but I've personally found it very useful to know that I like Hubert at 3 months much more than say Union Jack at 2 months.

tylerstubs likes this.
  8. tylerstubs

I have and will definitely say that Melvin and Odd 13 seem to taste the best "with age".

Spaceman_Jer likes this.
  9. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Savant (980) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

I test with most of my 4/6 packs, and for my favorites, that means I test many times.

10. denver10

I have.

Most recently with La Cumbre's Elevated IPA. I have tried it over the past couple months at all weekly intervals up to 2 months, with the exception of 7 weeks old. At 6 weeks it was still great to me, at 8 weeks it had a noticeable drop off....wasn't bad by any any means, but definitely past its prime.

I have also done a less complete test with Odell's IPA....found it peaked for me between 4-6 weeks post bottling, did not like it quite as much when it was fresher than that....but never tested how it fared after that 6 weeks. I

tylerstravis and SFACRKnight like this.
  11. SFACRKnight

I don't drink a lot. A sixer can last me a couple months. Most IPAs, melvin included, drop off around 6 weeks for me. So if I get a sixer of ipa that already us 30 days on it, chances are half my six pak is going to shit before I can polish them all off. The beauty of Melvin, when they first hit our market, was I could get a six pak of Hubert or a 4x of riipa with a week on it. Now they blend in with a slew of month old beer for me. See, freshness doesn't always mean a customer wants to drink week old ipa. It may mean a customer wants a sixer of week old ipa so said consumer can drink one or two a week and not worry about drinking cardboard flavored grapefruit tea.

12. MelvinBrewing_2x4

MelvinBrewing_2x4 Initiate (45) Jan 5, 2016 China

Wasn’t dipping out because we can’t handle criticism. Not trying to clutter up the CO IPA thread since we’re from WY. More than happy to take questions and concerns on our Melvin thread. Now, speaking of CO IPAs, anyone tried the new batch of Hog Wild from Hogshead? Check it out, it’s straight fire

Dan_K, Canada_Dan, jaysker95 and 6 others like this.
  13. Ispeakforthetrees

Nothing would make me happier than beers on your back deck. I have many fond memories there crushing the old school cool beers. VR, Prop 14, OG CBS, my first Pappy pours all had at your home. The old days were good. Crystal Springs 13 beating out VT Sip of Sunshine, Heady in a blind. We had fun.

Now I just drink barleywine with Bales and crew up north and drink the latest haze craze.

Speaking of that River North Mountain Haze is a great 6pk. They are crushing that beer with fresh canning dates and it hits all the hypebros checklists for hazy IPAS.

14. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,228) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

IMO the sweet spot for most packaged "modern" IPA's (both WC and Hazy) isn't that big. I've had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Green Flash WCIPA, and Victory Hop Devil that tasted absolutely fine if not mostly fresh after 6 months. Yet most of those massive late hop addition and pale malt IPA's tend to fall off after closer to 2. That can be tricky with some of those that feature extensive dry hopping (sometimes 2x) giving off a chalky harshness for 2-3 weeks.

SFACRKnight and tylerstravis like this.
  15. tylerstravis

Nah brah, no checkmark for .rar

tylerstubs likes this.
  16. tylerstubs

If anyone up north is looking, Make IPA Clear Again is at Atlas Valley.

17. dauss

dauss Zealot (580) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Industry

Comrade is releasing More Dodge Less Ram Triple-Dry Hopped Superpower IPA 4/21 at their 4th anniversary party. Grapefruit Superpower is also making a return.

18. Ispeakforthetrees

Or at Wyatt's :wink:

tylerstubs likes this.
  19. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Aspirant (227) Jun 26, 2007 Colorado

Stopped by Trve today for the Nazareth release, solid beer. Enjoyed the normal ipa a ton also.

Real talk, why aren't we talking about Trve's mixed culture saisons? I grabbed one today and was blown away. Easily as good as any Casey beer I've tried and $20 for 32oz out the door. No 2 hr plus drive, no ticket to enter, normal hours, and no cover charge. They play good stoner metal also which is a plus.

20. JakeT469

JakeT469 Disciple (300) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

Probably because this is an IPA thread.

MtnSoup, tylerstubs and tylerstravis like this.
  21. tylerstubs

And it is delicious! I know haze bombs taste juicy and good, and I still like them of course. But this beer had awesome soft layers of hop flavor. Perfect IPA. If it were available Id drink nothing else....for like a month or so at least.

denver10 likes this.
  22. tylerstravis

I stopped by Endo Brewing yesterday and grabbed their NEIPA, Kingdom Trails. One of the better versions I've had from a "neighborhood brewery". I wouldn't search it out, but if you're at Atlas, go grab a glass.

tylerstubs and ManBearPat like this.
  23. roemmic1

roemmic1 Initiate (33) Jan 24, 2015 Colorado

Odd 13 is still amazing...Alpha Twins, uberNoob and Superduperfan have me drooling. Take my wallet.

24. SFACRKnight

Juicy Bits 4x raining in the south metro.

ManBearPat and tylerstubs like this.
  25. Spaceman_Jer

Spaceman_Jer Zealot (565) Jan 27, 2015 Colorado

Just got to try Bang Bang from S26 and I really liked it. It seemed pretty distinct from Juicy Banger in that it's a bit "older" school to me and certainly less "tropical" or juicy. You can really taste the Amarillo and to some extent the Simcoe in it.

It reminds me favorably of some of the better West Coast style DIPAs from maybe 3-5 years ago that started to move into the paler and lighter direction (similar to stuff from Russian River, Drakes, Pizza Port, Stone).

26. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,695) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Odd13 Alpha Twins is so far the best to me from this brewery, very tasty. Big Eddyline fan.

Cheers!

27. SFACRKnight

Eddyline is the unsung hero in the Colorado ipa thread

28. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (385) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Had a couple Alpha Twins this afternoon and they were definitely enjoyable... once hoppy beers get over 8% I typically don’t like them, but I couldn’t think of switching it up after I tasted it. Lots of pineapple and mango- quite natural and well balanced.

roemmic1 and tylerstubs like this.
  29. Domingo

Bought some Modus over the weekend and after all these years I think it's still my favorite Colorado IPA. Haze bombs and late addition bright bombs included. I really really hope that beer doesn't ever get pushed out of the market.

Barely related, Rumble should be around really soon if it hasn't started showing up already.

tylerstubs and SFACRKnight like this.
  30. Wasatch

Trader

Been awhile since I've had one.

Cheers!

tylerstubs likes this.
  31. Domingo

I revisit it every few months. I'm not a day-to-day IPA drinker, but that's one of the few where I probably could be. It's essentially like an IPA from the mid 2000's...only it's probably the best example of that type ever. Either Modus or what Jai Alai used to taste like.

tylerstubs and Wasatch like this.
  32. Wasatch

Trader

Last time I had it was 2009, in a trade.

Cheers!

tylerstubs likes this.
  33. SFACRKnight

JA is another beer where I didn't get the hype.

tylerstravis likes this.
  34. Domingo

It's from a different era. My first exposure to it was 10'ish years ago. It was considered pretty fantastic back then, but IPA's have moved in a different direction. They've changed the beer a bit to match trends, but I liked the old stuff a little more. While it's still pretty similar, I don't think it's old or new school enough to please either faction. Modus is a fair comparison for the way it used to taste. Alpha King, too. If they've changed Modus, it's not enough for me to know or care.

35. SFACRKnight

I get the alpha king hype, and I love modus. I just feel cigar city fell short. There's way better examples turning up our shelves, even when it was garnering praise and hype. Alpha king on the other hand deserved it's hype.

36. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (351) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

this sums it up pretty perfectly imo

37. denver10

Had some fresh Jai Alai when I was in Florida last month and thought it was as enjoyable as ever. Never actually compared it to Modus though.

38. mrbeersnob

mrbeersnob Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2016 Georgia

I think some west coast folks are also running into an issue with Jai Alai in that it appears- to me anyway- that the Florida canned Jai Alai and North Carolina canned Jai Alai seem to taste different.
    I noticed it last night- I typically get canned from Florida here in NE Georgia. Jai Alai to me is a solid go to beer when something better isnt around. Is it epic- not by todays standard but its a good solid beer. I was gifted a NC canned Jai Alai from a neighbor this weekend who picked it up while out of town- and I had it last night. I knew immediately something was off.

So- to prove the point to myself- a beer buddy of mine in Texas will be sending me NC canned Jai Alai and I will be sending him Fl canned JA. We will be doing a blind testing. with our wives knowing which is which and then see what comes of it. Not that anyone cares- but I will post my findings on separate thread.

39. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (385) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

While not a fan of this beer, I am certainly not alone in my respect for your scientific endeavors. Please give us the update!

tylerstubs and SFACRKnight like this.
  40. Domingo

Rumble is out. Go get it.