Favorite Colorado IPAs?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hoppytobehere, Aug 31, 2013.

1. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,029) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

If we're going for nostalgic IPAs, I'll take Odell's IPA all day long over Modus, Alpha King, or Jai Alai.

2. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,396) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Been 3 years since I've had this brew. Will be on the look out for it.

Cheers!

tylerstubs likes this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,185) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

That's actually the last time it was brewed. When GD overhauled their line-up in 2015, Rumble is one of the beers the discontinued. They brewed a tiny run of it (or something super close) as part of the Local Knowledge series back in January. Otherwise this is the first batch in years that I'm aware of. They did that poll of GD faves last year and apparently Rumble finished super high. It's in my all-time CO top 5 and the one I've had the most of over the years.

Wasatch likes this.
  4. Wasatch

Beer Trader

Heading over to the shop right now.

Cheers!

5. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (357) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

Maybe it’s just me but I think Odell IPA has changed recipes to match current flavor trends more than any other flagship. I’m not saying this is a bad thing—I love it— just that I don’t see it as a beer to go to for nostalgia.

By “current flavor trends” I don’t mean NEIPA, I mean juicy clear West Coast-ish IPAs like Comrade’s and Melvin’s and Cannonball Creek’s and Station 26’s.

ManBearPat likes this.
  6. Wasatch

Beer Trader

No Rumble today.

Cheers!

7. tylerstravis

Beer Trader

They may have traded recipes, but they were the only IPA in the state that matched that style four years ago that I knew about.

8. dauss

dauss Zealot (559) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Industry Beer Trader

Honeyman XX taps today at Comrade. Different hops than in the past, Cascade, Centennial Chinook and Denali hops. A little more #oldskool, but Denali is described as a super-Nugget hop. 5.5% ABV

9. Domingo

Beer Trader

If anyone beat Odell to the punch (on going the hefty Alesmith, Alpine, etc. route), they were under the radar. There's a shot Mountain Sun might have been doing it earlier, but they're the only ones I can think of. They weren't packaging either. Odell IPA launched in bottles in 2007. Prior to that, most of our hoppy beers were coming out of Great Divide and Avery.

tylerstravis likes this.
  10. rscot231

rscot231 Initiate (187) Mar 11, 2008 Colorado
    Industry Beer Trader

Odd13 is releasing 2 new taproom-only IPAs this Saturday, May 12th.

The first is Codename: Ice Cream Man, a "Creamsicle Inspired" variant of Codename. It features a slightly different hop blend from regular Codename, but also has lactose, vanilla, orange peel, and orange extract. For those of you that remember the canned Empress Anzu, this has none of that acidity. It's a creamy orange bomb, but still recognizable as an IPA. It's $14 per six pack, no limit.

[​IMG]

11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,148) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

The suspense is killing me...

12. rscot231

Industry Beer Trader

lol didn't mean to create suspense. The second beer just isn't canned yet. It's a South African hopped collaboration IPA with the guy who used to run the company that sold the SA hops in the US, until SAB Miller put an end to that. He still gets small quantities.

13. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,314) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

That was my reaction last time I tried it too. For me, it was a very bad thing.

14. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (433) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Odell IPA can be found quite frequently in my beer fridge... although Rupture seems to be there more often

15. rscot231

Industry Beer Trader

And it’s delayed. Canning line broke today. We do have Hop Troll Amarillo releasing tomorrow with Ice Cream man though.

SFACRKnight and roemmic1 like this.
  16. roemmic1

roemmic1 Initiate (27) Jan 24, 2015 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Anyone get a chance to try this today? I'm sure it's awesome, just wanted the confirmation.

17. rscot231

Industry Beer Trader

I drank some today, but you probably want to hear from someone else.

SFACRKnight, tylerstubs and roemmic1 like this.
  18. roemmic1

roemmic1 Initiate (27) Jan 24, 2015 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I don't mind hearing the opinion from the source. I know all your beer is fantastic anyway.

19. rscot231

Industry Beer Trader

I think it tastes like a creamsicle, as intended. If we brew it again, there would be minor tweaks (like maybe 10% fewer vanill beans). I’m happy with how it came out overall.

spoony, roemmic1 and tylerstubs like this.
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,148) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Speaking of nostalgia, picked up some St. Lupulin this weekend. If rupture is fruity hops, lupulin is dank for days. Love this beer now as much as ever.

21. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Aspirant (207) May 14, 2015 Colorado

Although not as nostalgic, @Ispeakforthetrees reminded me about 13 from Crystal Springs so I crushed through a sixer. Delicous beer if you like that Nelson twang.

Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  22. mrbeersnob

mrbeersnob Initiate (116) Nov 9, 2016 Georgia

unfortunately this weekend I found out that all of my usual liquor stores, as well as supermarkets around here-all have NC canned Jai Alai. What a bummer. I am 50 miles NE of Atlanta, next week I am planning on going into Atlanta and I will check there. the oatmeal raisin cookie brown ale was canned in florida- but the Jai Alai was not.

23. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (134) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

Picked up a sixer of Codename: Superfan at grapevine since (PSA) it's on sale all month. Damn is that beer dialed in. I hadnt had it in almost a year, but this thing is juicybitter perfection. Probably has broken into the IPA triumvirate of Juicy Banger/ Bout Damn Time/ Odell IPA for me. Cheers to @rscot231 and O13 for this superb beer!

24. rscot231

Industry Beer Trader

Thanks. Dialed in is how I’d describe it as well. We haven’t made a major change to the recipe in well over a year. It’s been mostly process changes, better QC during packaging, and we hand selected our hops this year.

roemmic1, Canada_Dan and tylerstubs like this.
  25. rscot231

Industry Beer Trader

Oh, and the same yeast strain but from a different vendor.

tylerstubs likes this.
  26. tylerstravis

Beer Trader

Pillow Stacks is the best mosaic beer in the state.

27. Domingo

Beer Trader

What are some other all/mostly mosaic beers from CO anyway? My tastes tend to lean in the citra, galaxy, and amarillo direction so I'm curious about straight-up mosaic. Brett Loves Mosaic is probably my least favorite Casey beer.

28. beeeeeeeeeeeer

beeeeeeeeeeeer Initiate (42) Jul 3, 2010 Colorado

Drinking a Rapid Transit from Wiley Roots. Lemondrop and Amarillo. Really good pale ale. Also been loving Burnet Down and Mass Communication from them.

29. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Disciple (356) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

I didn't even think you drank still...

tylerstubs likes this.
  30. tylerstravis

Beer Trader

Ha! Noob? Mosaic Funk Yo Couch? I think a couple others, but yeah... You made your point.

How about this: "Pillow Stacks is my favorite NE IIPA in the state"

Ispeakforthetrees and tylerstubs like this.
  31. Ispeakforthetrees

No more pilsboi and lagergang life?
    Shame on you.

32. Ispeakforthetrees

Also I really enjoyed Finkle and Garf's New England style IPA.

tylerstubs likes this.
  33. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Aspirant (207) May 14, 2015 Colorado

Cans?

Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  34. Ispeakforthetrees

Yep very limited to start.

35. tylerstravis

Beer Trader

Any idea on the hops they're using?