Favorite Colorado IPAs?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hoppytobehere, Aug 31, 2013.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,772) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Son?

2. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

This years iteration of superdamp is phenomenal. Some dank resin a bit of tropical and this fantastic candied orange peel thing going were just fan fucking tactic

3. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (496) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Putting together a mixed bucket of tasty hazebois and IPAs for my dad’s birthday..

Was excited to see some stuff from True on the shelf, but had to hard pass when I noticed no dates on anything.. ya know sometimes you’ll see singles without dates but they’ll be right next to 4 packs with a date sticker you can reasonably assume is the same age- not the case. Maybe I missed it... anyone have insight into the way they date their cans?

Either way he’ll be happy with his Weldwerks, New Image, La Cumbre, SoS..

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. DanInRealLife

DanInRealLife Initiate (27) Jul 20, 2020 Colorado
    Trader

It's a little bit more work with TRVE, but I have found you can pretty easily cross-reference their cans with their IG page since they post just about every release.

Bitterbill and ManBearPat like this.
  5. ManBearPat

oh cool- so they strictly do one-offs?
    I’ll do that next time:slight_smile:

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Not strictly one offs. @TrveBrewer lil help

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. DanInRealLife

Trader

^^^ Not one-offs, but batches are far enough apart that there is little to no chance that a release gets lapped sitting on a shelf.

Bitterbill likes this.
  8. ManBearPat

Is it really a difficult thing to put dates on things?

seems like something everyone should be doing these days, but what do I know?

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

I'm pretty sure they date. Like odd13 used to with stickers.

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. TrveBrewer

TrveBrewer Initiate (33) Jun 13, 2014 Colorado

The short answer to this is no...and yes. We date every 4 pack of beer that goes out the door. We do not currently have the ability to date every can, unfortunately. We sticker and pak tech each case of beer by hand and think long and hard about packaging format and presentation, so it is immensely frustrating for me to see our beer broken down further at the retail level, as we have no control over this, and it undoes some of our work.

Like you, I hope to be able to date each can at some near point down the road, as I also look at dates when picking up beer. We got our canning line towards the end of last year, and hoped to continue adding on/improving it, but obviously this year has been rough.

Wish I could help more, but, yeah, we do put dates on each 4 pack of beer.

11. ManBearPat

That’s lame that the date stickers are either being removed or the 4 pack holders are being swapped out for whatever reason...

appreciate your response!

Bitterbill and SFACRKnight like this.
  12. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Retailers are shady as f***, I see them do this with the stickers on the four pack holders all the time. I opted to shop at places that do not remove the stickers, maybe something to think about in the future bro beans.

13. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (91) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

Crooked Stave Distro just made a post about Fremont Field to Ferment and Ecliptic Altair Fresh Hop, so I imagine those beers will be arriving this week or soon thereafter.

As always, I'm putting up the bat signal for Cowiche Canyon! I know it's unlikely that we see any but, if so, I want to get my hands on it!

14. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Just trade for it. I haven't seen it locally in years. Get some fresh hopped head full of dynamite while you're at it. Anyone try elevations wet hopped offering?

Bitterbill likes this.
  15. dauss

dauss Zealot (597) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Brewery

Comrade is tapping the More Dodge Less RAM tomorrow for the start of the GABF passport. Tapping Saturday, a IIPA for Hops & Pie's 10th Anniversary, Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy and Motueka

SFACRKnight likes this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,348) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

How about taking beers past their best by date and putting them on the new beers endcap? I’ve seen that done.

I had a can of Hopped and Loaded by 105 West that Ty of Skull Tree Brewing shared with me. Pretty average. I haven't seen many "new" Colorado IPAs for quite a spell.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  17. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

105w has the English and saison game on lockdown. I cant recommend their ipas.

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Initiate (110) Aug 21, 2020 Colorado

This newbie is still learning and my tastes are evolving. I am more appreciative of subtle nuances of some of all IPAs now versus when I began.

eg. I thought Odell IPA was way too bitter upon first few tries, but now I am appreciating its flavors. At first, I tended to prefer more exaggerated flavor profiles like Deschutes Fresh Squeezed. I still like that but I have some CO IPAs that I will be buying again.

Ranked.

Odell Myrcenary (yea, double but great)
    Odell Mountain Standard
    Odell IPA
    Weldworks Juicy Bits
    Avery Pear of Peaches
    New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Juicy Hazy
    Avery Hazyish
    Station 26 Juicy Banger IPA
    Odell Rupture
    Bootstrap Lush Puppy

Bitterbill, FarmerTed and clusterfolk like this.
  19. ManBearPat

based on this list I’d HIGHLY recommend Comrade Superpower and 4 Noses Bout Damn Time

hopefully you had a chance to try Odell Tree Shaker when it was out a few months ago

20. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Initiate (110) Aug 21, 2020 Colorado

thanks for the tips.

I did try the 4 Noses but came away a bit less enthralled than those in the list. Shaker was on my "to try" list but did not get to it yet. Have yet to see any single Comrades, but did try a few Odd 13s.

Bitterbill likes this.
  21. DanInRealLife

Trader

You'll have to go to the source for Superpower; Comrade doesn't can/package outside of a few Crowler drops to Grapevine (may have been a COVID thing?).

ManBearPat and barneyrubble like this.
  22. considerbeer

considerbeer Initiate (40) Dec 15, 2016 Colorado

FWIW, we almost always get Cowiche Canyon in Colorado, but even the biggest, best stores might only get a case or two. It's also an industry favorite from what I'm told, so a lot of store employees buy it up.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  23. Justins123

Justins123 Initiate (21) Feb 7, 2016 Colorado

Stop by Cherry Cricket during happy hour and you can grab a Superpower for $4. Great deal.

ManBearPat likes this.
  24. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,691) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Comrade and Cannonball Creek are probably our best two IPA brewers in CO and neither distro a package product beyond the occasional hand-filled crowler. Comrade has quite a few draft accounts, but Cannonball doesn't seem to have that much of a distro footprint.
    If a packaged product is what you're seeking, Westbound and Weldwerks are probably CO's finest. At least that are readily available.

Bitterbill and barneyrubble like this.
  25. DanInRealLife

Trader

I would put New Image and Outer Range on that best-of and readily-available list as well. We don't see much W&D here in Colorado Springs sadly.

26. clusterfolk

Cowiche Canyon landed! Just picked up what may have been the final sixer from Mile High but it will probably make its way to other stores with this week's CSA drops.

SFACRKnight and ManBearPat like this.
  27. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Count me in even though I still have a metric shit ton of other beer to drink.

clusterfolk likes this.
  28. clusterfolk

Comrade, Cannonball Creek, and OMF brought home gabf medals for hoppy beers this year -- Glad they're recognizing quality! Cheers!

dauss and SFACRKnight like this.
  29. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Comrade is hard to beat

30. travis224

travis224 Initiate (192) Jul 24, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Can anyone confirm if the Blue Moon Hazy beer is indeed gold medal worthy? I actually like Blue Moon a fair bit, but is their hazy IPA this good? Seems like a strange selection to me.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  31. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Just saw that myself and have never seen a blue moon IPA available. Not sure where to grab one.

32. dauss

dauss Zealot (597) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Brewery

I think you have to go to the brewpub in RiNo. It says it's on the menu right now, updated as of 8PM, 10/17/2020.

travis224 likes this.